Leather-bound Edition of Elantris

My husband surprised me with my copy today and it wasn't the leather bound! But I loved the surprise from the Author. Three pages after the postscript. Starts "Hoid the beggar sat on the side of a mountain,... have you read that?

Yeah the leatherbound won't be on sale until November.  And I have read the scene and it's great but reactions should go here.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since I'm planning on asking an Elantris-related question in the "Personalization" field on my purchase of the leather bound version, I'll ask my non-book specific question here: 

Is there a character limit in the "Personalization" field? The question I want to ask currently has 78 characters with spaces. I ask because my question is shown cut short to 50 characters in the "Personalization" field on the check out page. Is this only because the space is limited for the the check out page specifically, or are we actually limited to just 50 characters and Brandon won't see my entire question?

Since I'm planning on asking an Elantris-related question in the "Personalization" field on my purchase of the leather bound version, I'll ask my non-book specific question here: 

Is there a character limit in the "Personalization" field? The question I want to ask currently has 78 characters with spaces. I ask because my question is shown cut short to 50 characters in the "Personalization" field on the check out page. Is this only because the space is limited for the the check out page specifically, or are we actually limited to just 50 characters and Brandon won't see my entire question?

If you're uncertain about whether your entire question goes through, you can try deleting a few earlier lines to check.  The text should run back, and where it cuts off tells you where exactly your question stopped.  

There is a character limit. I don't know what it is though.

I finally just bit the bullet and bought my leatherbound copy... ouch!

On the positive side, I asked a rather juicy Cosmere question in my personalization. I suspect if I asked in person I would get a RAFO but it is a borderline one so I am hoping for the best. Even if I don't get an answer I would just be entertained to have a big RAFO on the inside of my book.

I finally just bit the bullet and bought my leatherbound copy... ouch!

On the positive side, I asked a rather juicy Cosmere question in my personalization. I suspect if I asked in person I would get a RAFO but it is a borderline one so I am hoping for the best. Even if I don't get an answer I would just be entertained to have a big RAFO on the inside of my book.

Same!

Mine came in the mail yesterday. It's very pretty. The book has a theme of blue and silver, with the text in the book being dual colored black and blue, the cover being a dark blue leather with silver lettering, and the gilding on the pages being silver along with the book-mark ribbon.

The picture on the front-inside of the cover (first French cover), featured in Brandon's blog post, has the matching illustration on the back-inside cover (second French cover). The selected cover gallery includes the ones shown in Brandon's post (UK and Bulgaria), as well as the US edition, both Japanese editions, and the Taiwanese edition.

Dat Taiwanese Edition. It's so pretty, my jaw dropped. I've looked through the cover galleries on his site, but somehow I've never lain eyes on Shin Li's masterpiece before, never noticed the amazing juxtaposition. *shivers*

Anyways, if some of you are on the fence about whether you want to buy it or not I can answer questions you have about the book itself.

ELB-interior.jpg

That's from Brandon's site. The Chapter titles, first letter of each chapter, and the page headings, are all blue, while the body text is black.

There's also this two-color map:

ELB_map.jpg

As for pictures, I can find you images of the covers, as well as Michael Whelan's art online, and if you'd like I'll snap a few pictures of the book while closed, but I don't want to post pictures of any of Brandon's actual writing. Between spoilers and potential copyright issues, it's just not worth it.

Brandon did write a short explanation of why that Whelan piece matters to Elantris and his writing as a whole (about three paragraphs), which he's also done on the internet in various locations. Other than that though it's just the 10th Anniversary Edition's content aside from the cover gallery.

I received my copy...some time while I was traveling for work. It's a gorgous book, and if you're on the fence about whether or not to buy it, I highly recommend that you do!

I decided to ask Brandon a question about Wyrn's sword, Gretgor: "If Gretgor, (1st Wyrn's sword) exists, who has it now?". Here's Brandon's response:

ueIxD0z.jpg 

At least I got my first RAFO card!

I had originally wanted to ask if Gretgor was real and if there was something special about the sword. Then I assumed that would get RAFO'd. I thought that maybe a better question was to ask about who has the sword, because that too would confirm it's existence but not tell us anything special about the sword. Thus I assumed it would be less RAFO-able. Guess I was wrong! 

I sure hope Gretgor is real though. Why else would it even be mentioned in the glossary for Elantris? It's the only place it is ever mentioned, so maybe it'll have a role in Elantris 2 or 3?

(Side note: I love the symmetrical number! It also is the same as an area code I used to live in.)

Edited by Titan Arum

• 2 months later...