Purelake Gods' Identity (Short Theory)

hwiles

So I don't have a whole lot here, but please recall that religions in the Cosmere tend to be, at least loosely, based on significant on-world historical events.  With that said...

The Purelakers worship a male "god" they refer to as Nu Ralik.  They believe that worshiping Nu Ralik outside of a "sacred grotto" is unsafe however, because his younger, spiteful brother Vun Makak will get jealous.  Ishikk implies that he believes that upsetting Vun Makak can incur real world consequences in the form of bad luck or some type of curse (there's no telling at the moment whether this is superstition or grounded in truth).  This sort of implies that they believe Vun Makak to be more powerful, or at least more present, than Nu Ralik (which sort of sounds like two male Shardholders we know who have warred in that area in the past...one good, though ultimately weaker, one evil and strong)

I propose to the community that Ralik, the older brother (or the one who has been on Roshar longer) is in fact Honor, Makak, the spiteful (a synonym for odious :ph34r:) younger brother is...wait for it...Odium!  I'm also guessing that, judging from the Purelake's relative proximity to Jah Keved, that the prefixes, "Nu" and "Vun," are used to specify older/younger siblings, as they strike me as linguistically similar to the titles used by Shallan's brothers (IE: Nan Balat, Asha Jushu, and Tet Wikim) this is pretty speculative though, and not particularly important.  Note, I'm not proposing that Tanavast and Rayse are actually brothers.

The Purelakers' fear of worshiping Ralik in Makak's hearing may imply that, at some point in the past, people of their kingdom were aware that Honor had been overpowered/beaten by Odium; I sort of doubt they would believe Honor had been killed, even if they had a way of knowing it, which would be why they maintain their worship of him in "secret."

So that's it, thoughts?  Holes that need to be addressed?  Counter arguments?  Any ideas how they could have known or been aware of Honor's defeat after Aharietiam and the Recreance?

I am really unsure about this....but I like this theory, I like it a lot :D

PS: It a bit vague, but I remember a reference to the past importance of the Purelake in the Desolations...something about an unknown Fortress.

Edited by Yata

While I was reading this, I realized the similarities between these two brothers and Trell and Naln from Mistborn. Coincidental, I'm sure, but interesting.

As for your theory, I think you may be on the right path, or at least a path parallel to the right one. It may be that the "brother's" were powerful spren or Heralds or something. But then again, it may be exactly what you said. All I'm sure about is that Sanderson rarely puts anything in a novel that ends up being pointless to the overarching plot, especially when it comes a planet's history, so it's likely that the Purelakers' gods will end up being important in later books.

3 hours ago, Yata said:

PS: It a bit vague, but I remember a reference to the past importance of the Purelake in the Desolations...something about an unknown Fortress.

Yep, specifically, I think that's from one of Dallinar's visions.  The fact that an interlude was dedicated to introducing and describing the Purelake, the occasional references to the Purelake made by other characters in-book (usually in passing, ie: Vasher) and the descriptions of the intense battle against some horrible void monster and mysterious black fortress in the middle of the Purelake in ancient times leads me to believe the area will, in the future, prove to be more important than it currently is.  Speculating anything about the fortress is probably wickedly premature at this point...but...there's a death rattle that goes something like: 10 Radiants, gathered before a wall of black and red!  Foreshadowing?  Red herring?  Utter coincidence?  You decide! :lol:

25 minutes ago, hwiles said:

Speculating anything about the fortress is probably wickedly premature at this point...but...there's a death rattle that goes something like: 10 Radiants, gathered before a wall of black and red!  Foreshadowing?  Red herring?  Utter coincidence?  You decide! :lol:

I always see that Death Rattle as "Ten men before an army of angry Odium's Listeners" but it's possible.

On 8/30/2016 at 9:47 AM, hwiles said:

So I don't have a whole lot here, but please recall that religions in the Cosmere tend to be, at least loosely, based on significant on-world historical events.  With that said...

The Purelakers worship a male "god" they refer to as Nu Ralik.  They believe that worshiping Nu Ralik outside of a "sacred grotto" is unsafe however, because his younger, spiteful brother Vun Makak will get jealous.  Ishikk implies that he believes that upsetting Vun Makak can incur real world consequences in the form of bad luck or some type of curse (there's no telling at the moment whether this is superstition or grounded in truth).  This sort of implies that they believe Vun Makak to be more powerful, or at least more present, than Nu Ralik (which sort of sounds like two male Shardholders we know who have warred in that area in the past...one good, though ultimately weaker, one evil and strong)

I propose to the community that Ralik, the older brother (or the one who has been on Roshar longer) is in fact Honor, Makak, the spiteful (a synonym for odious :ph34r:) younger brother is...wait for it...Odium!  I'm also guessing that, judging from the Purelake's relative proximity to Jah Keved, that the prefixes, "Nu" and "Vun," are used to specify older/younger siblings, as they strike me as linguistically similar to the titles used by Shallan's brothers (IE: Nan Balat, Asha Jushu, and Tet Wikim) this is pretty speculative though, and not particularly important.  Note, I'm not proposing that Tanavast and Rayse are actually brothers.

The Purelakers' fear of worshiping Ralik in Makak's hearing may imply that, at some point in the past, people of their kingdom were aware that Honor had been overpowered/beaten by Odium; I sort of doubt they would believe Honor had been killed, even if they had a way of knowing it, which would be why they maintain their worship of him in "secret."

So that's it, thoughts?  Holes that need to be addressed?  Counter arguments?  Any ideas how they could have known or been aware of Honor's defeat after Aharietiam and the Recreance?

I think this theory is absolutely brilliant honestly.  This was the very first Interlude in the entire series and not only did it show that people (whom Brandon is confirmed are from other worlds) are looking for Hoid but it would make sense that he would hint at the Honor/Odium relationship with Tanavast being dead and Rayse reigning.  Good thinking, friend.

• Chaos locked this topic