Kholinar whats it look like

bdoble97

There's a quote "Some said the Almighty himself had drawn Kholinar in rock, scooping out sections of ground with a fluent finger." Pg 1076 paperback. It goes on to say "Oh the citywas beautiful,  but it was the beauty of an artist who wasn't quite right in the mind. The rock took the shape of rolling hills and steeply sloping valleys, and when the stone was cut into, it exposed thousands of brilliant strata of red,white,yellow and orange." This to me  paints quite the epic high fantasy Kingdom and City.  To me it sounds like the city itself was carved out of a mountain side high above the plains. It also says the most majestic formations With the Wind blades and enormous ,curving spines of rock that cut through the city beautifully line with colorful strata on the sides the curved, curled, rose and fell unpredictably like fish leaping from the ocean. Just with this brief description it sounds more epic than anything we've seen in movies. Do you think we could get some illustrations of the city itself in book three and has anybody seen any illustrations online and what the city looks like. I am very much looking forward to reading more about the city in the upcoming books and hopefully get to hear about it impossible flashbacksof Dalinar.

1 hour ago, jofwu said:

I've always imagined something like Garden of the Gods, but much more massive in scale. For the "wind blades" at least.

GOG-centralgardens.jpg

The coloring is perfect I also imagine them much more massive and smooth kind of like caverns of the Grand Canyon have been smoothed by water. I can only hope that we could get it on a cover of one of the future books. I would love to to see Shallan do a drawing with all her designs are black and white in the book and Kholinar and the wind blades  would have to be full color.

On 10/6/2016 at 2:25 PM, bdoble97 said:

This to me  paints quite the epic high fantasy Kingdom and City.  To me it sounds like the city itself was carved out of a mountain side high above the plains.

I've always thought of it as a plateau above the city and the city itself carved into a cliff side overlooking the sea.

44 minutes ago, Argel said:

I've always thought of it as a plateau above the city and the city itself carved into a cliff side overlooking the sea.

That sounds amazing as well let's just hope we get to see a drawing of it someday and one of the books. That is one of the many things that make The Stormlight Archives books better than most other fantasy series as we get these amazing drawings

On 10/7/2016 at 11:09 AM, jofwu said:

I've always imagined something like Garden of the Gods, but much more massive in scale. For the "wind blades" at least.

GOG-centralgardens.jpg

That's amazing, I never knew those existed.  That's precisely the image I had in my head, except with them slanted and even maybe having sections like the crests of waves (reaching out into the air a bit).  That part may be untenable with the highstorms, though.

@Jondesu, Yeah these are a pretty notable tourist attraction in Colorado, I think. The "blades" part of the name is what makes me think they are something like this. Honestly wouldn't be surprised if Brandon got inspiration from these- I know he's talked about similar inspirations in the past.

• Chaos locked this topic