Cosmere Magic: The Gathering Cards

So, I'm obsessed with Magic: The Gathering. It's a fantastic card game created in 1993. I'm also obsessed with the Cosmere. And then I realized something: I could totally geek out by making Cosmere-based Magic cards! The site I used was mtgcardsmith.com, and it was pretty fantastic.

2017-08-01.png

2017-08-01.png

2017-08-01.png

2017-08-01.png

2017-08-01.png

I rather like those.  I know I've seen similar efforts before, though it has been a while.  it is always interesting to see the different ways peopel think various abilities should be expressed.

some personal opinions:

- I'd make Sazed's abilities contigent upon having an artifact in play.

- I'd make Kelsier and Sazed into flip cards, rather than searching for a separate card when they die.

- I'd change Kaladin's damage prevention ability to redirect the damage to himself instead, and probably try to rework that buff he gets when creatures die.  as it stands, it is not likely to be very useful, since it will mostly trigger after combat damage has already been dealt.  not sure how I would change it though...

- Elend's single mana +2/+2 ability is way too powerful, especially since you can use it multiple times per turn.

- I feel like Nightblood should not grant indestructible.  Think I'd do deathtouch, first strike, trample (the +5/+5 is fine).  also, not sure if you need that return to battlefield part...since equipment stays in play when the equipped creature dies.

I would lessen NB's +5 to +4/-2, especially with the keywords as well as. I would definitely go with deathtouch, first strike and maybe trample. 

It's a tricky one as it has a few aspects to incorporate, but I feel NB would be better as a DFC to represent the Sheather and unsheathed

The sheathed form could have a static ability where the player chooses a colour (not evil) and whenever a creature not of that colour attacks said player, NB could be equipped by them and at the end of combat equipped creature fights each other creature attacking player controls until equipped creature dies.  Then original player can pay a mana cost to reclaim NB. It could also grant a good power buff and if it is blocked by and destroys two creatures/the attacking player could pay a steep man's coast to transform it.

The unsheathed for could would grant a major power boost, force all the defending players creatures to block it, but for every 2/1 creatures killed in this manner, the attacking player would lose a land/life point to symbolise losing Breath.

As for Indestructible, we'd have to ask Brandon just how hardy NB is as it far more Invested than a regular Shardblade.

Saze as Harmony I would feel more likely as a creature card than a Planeswalker. Given how ridiculous his power level would be I could see him being a win-con but with a static ability that gives a creature a few keywords. I feel he'd quite similar to how the Therosian gods activate but he's tricky as his main ethos is non-intervention and maintaining relative balance so I could see him being Esper (WUB) rather than Orzhov (WB) or possibly even 4 colour (WUBG)

On 8/3/2017 at 8:49 PM, Dunkum said:

I rather like those.  I know I've seen similar efforts before, though it has been a while.  it is always interesting to see the different ways peopel think various abilities should be expressed.

some personal opinions:

- I'd make Sazed's abilities contigent upon having an artifact in play.

- I'd make Kelsier and Sazed into flip cards, rather than searching for a separate card when they die.

- I'd change Kaladin's damage prevention ability to redirect the damage to himself instead, and probably try to rework that buff he gets when creatures die.  as it stands, it is not likely to be very useful, since it will mostly trigger after combat damage has already been dealt.  not sure how I would change it though...

- Elend's single mana +2/+2 ability is way too powerful, especially since you can use it multiple times per turn.

- I feel like Nightblood should not grant indestructible.  Think I'd do deathtouch, first strike, trample (the +5/+5 is fine).  also, not sure if you need that return to battlefield part...since equipment stays in play when the equipped creature dies.

@Dunkum I really liked your input, thanks! 

• 4 months later...