Is Taldain one of the planets in the Iriali Long Trail?

KalaDANG

During a reread of Oathbringer, I noticed this characteristically strange and confusing thing that Evi says. 

"Today we will not need to scrub the walls, and the life will be as white as a sun at night!" - Chapter 36, Oathbringer

It doesn't really make any sense, considering that the sun doesn't shine at night. It's pretty easy to dismiss it as a proverb or idiom that lost its meaning in translation, which is exactly what Dalinar thinks. But I was thinking about it, and no duh, there's a place in the cosmere where the sun DOES shine all night. That's Taldain, since it's tidally locked. It's been speculated quite a bit before that the Iriali might have some kind of connection to Taldain, and that they might have lived there at one point. Could this quote from Evi be some kind of saying that originated on Taldain, and has been carried with them for thousands of years, with them knowing the meaning of the phrase, but just not understanding or having knowledge of the context that gave the saying meaning? There are a few other connections, like their golden hair and yellow eyes being reminiscent of the golden eyes sand masters display while using their powers. Has anyone else seen any interesting connections there?

Edited by KalaDANG

I'm almost positive that the Iri lived on Nalthis for a while, but I'm not sure about Taldain. Autonomy seems very possessive, and Taldain's CR has been locked away for a while. But it's possible that they left before the lockdown.

I don't remember sandmasters' eyes turning golden when using powers. Is that stated somewhere?

I'm pretty sure it's stated in the graphic novel at some point and in the prose version. But at the very least, in the graphic novel, that's how they are pictured. I can definitely see Nalthis. The nonsensical idioms remind me a lot of what Zahel is constantly saying. 

Edit: I looked again at the specific art in the book that I was thinking of, and since I can’t find the exact place it was written, I can’t be certain whether or not I’m just remembering wrong on the eyes, but at the very least, the sand master glows gold.

Edited by KalaDANG
Checked the info.

1 hour ago, KalaDANG said:

HAHAHAHAHA IS THAT MACHINERY I SEE IN THE BACKGROUND?!?!?

Point taken. :) 

KENTON GET ME MY BOOM BOX! There's also a diploma, a picture of a horse (or cow) a $5 bill, and some other things scattered through the comics.

Edited by RShara

This kind of reminds me of an old radar detector from WW2 with all those green screens. Or patient monitoring equipment in a hospital.

I know it is a mistake, but it being radar detectors is a bigger mistake than it being a boom box. It accidentally implies they also have airplanes or other fast moving aircraft that need tracking. 

Image result for Hospital monitoring equipment

Image result for radar detector WW2

A boombox would definitely be more fun, haha. They party pretty hard on Taldain. They don't do anything halfway. Especially not parties. I wonder which sand master would DJ at their parties. Is this why they changed artists towards the end of book 2? That had always confused me, but it's making more sense to me now.

Edited by KalaDANG

Given that we're told that Darkside kind of resembles a perpetual rave with everything fluorescing, the boombox is clearly foreshadowing the eventual unification of Taldain's two primary cultural groups and that the planet will eventually become the party capital of the Cosmere.

I think the strongest evidence of Autonomy influence is that the Iriali have three separate, but equal monarchs.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Iri

It is not a committee either, the queen has total authority over foreign policy. The other two presumably have total authority over two other aspects of government.

That is such a weird set up I feel like it reeks of Autonomy. 3 autonomous rulers who can’t check each other as far as we know each one just does their own thing, but it is somehow in service of the one whole.

in addition, Ym, who is Iriali, speaks of the god that split itself into many pieces intentionally, but remains one being. This could apply to Adonalsium, but is very much what Autonomy is doing with it’s Avatars as well.

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Ym

• Pagerunner changed the title to Is Taldain one of the planets in the Iriali Long Trail?
  • Chaos locked this topic