Teft the Radiant?

Joshluke

Hi I'm new to the fourm and just finished reading Oathbringer and absolutely loved it.  I have a question though maybe someone can answer for me.  I see that Teft said the words and bonded a spren, but is he actually a Radiant or is he a squire of Kaladin?  I'm a little confused on the interaction between Radiant and squire.  I was looking at a chart on all the Radiants and who has what surge and didn't see Teft on the list, but he seems to me to have exceeded the rest of Bridge 4.  Thanks

I think the general consensus is that Teft is a radiant in his own right and is no longer reliant on Kaladin as a squire. The same goes for Lopen, however Lopen has only attained the second ideal while Teft and Kaladin have said their thirds. Whatever list you saw probably just was not updated for Oathbringer yet.

He has his own spren now (and she's been such a great influence on him! Though I wonder what her name is, we weren't told in Oathbringer, were we?)

And he's sworn his Ideals (upto the third), deciding to try to overcome his self-loathing in a nice hero trope subversion moment

Edited by Dreamer

16 hours ago, Gilphon said:

Mhm. Lopen's also a Radiant is his own right now. And Skar and Drehy might've gotten there as well. 

But Teft in particular has said his Third Oath, putting him on equal footing with Kaladin. 

Yeah, Lopen jumped the gun a bit in proclaiming himself a "full Knight Radiant" to Kaladin, seeing as he had only just sworn the Second Ideal - what Kaladin did at the Shattered Plains to rescue Dalinar, and what Teft did off-screen. With the Second Ideal he has gained more efficient use of Stormlight for surgebinding, but won't be a Knight Radiant until the Third Ideal when he gains a Shardblade, nor (per Jasnah) a "full" Knight Radiant until Shardplate is gained as well (Fourth Ideal).

With the Third Ideal, a Windrunner gets Blade and also "squirepower".

• Chaos locked this topic