I like Raoden!

rpggal

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

his PoV is probably my favorite storyline of the book, but as a character I think he’s my least favorite of the 3 =P.

The other 2 are just so interesting in their motivations n stuff

but Raoden’s situation is more interesting so it balances out. 

• 7 months later...

Honestly I found Raoden pretty boring. He is too much of a Gary Sue for me. Hrathen is the character in Elantris I found most compelling. He is flawed, but also ambitious, intelligent, and simply put interesting. I like Sarene too but she just doesn't have the on page presence that Hrathen has.

I have always found Raoden's story to be the least interesting. I feel like up until very far into the book, it was predictable and simple. As a character, I find that he doesn't have realistic motivations, and his dialogue feels forced. That being said, if I had to choose one character from Elantris who I would want to be friends with, it would be Raoden. I like him, but he's not interesting enough to keep my attention.

12 hours ago, stormform wert said:

raoden's story seems like the least intriguing but if you look closly at the descriptions of elantris you can find little tidbits that are very intriguing and awesome if you like little bits of lore

Yeah, but I feel like this is not done as well as it is in Stormlight or Mistborn. You can find a lot of stuff if you read closely, but I don't even like his story enough to want to read closely.

I personally loved Raoden’s character. I also loved the other 2 PoV characters. Raoden seems to be unflawed, but if you read closely you see his doubts. I like that there is someone with problems that are harder to notice, as sometimes that is how it is in life too.

Edited by Lightweaver2
Clarification

I was reading the Elantris annotations on Arcanum, and I sort of understand why some people love Raoden and some people hate him. In his annotations, Brandon explains that Raoden doesn't really grow that much as a character through out the book. Most of the character growth is reserved for Hrathen. Sarene is manipulative, and sometimes naive, so that makes her chapters a bit more interesting. Raoden is just a perfect character, agressively optmistic, never stays down for long, he's just great. Some people probably really like reading POVs like that. They can be inspiring and cheerful. But others probably  find it boring because Raoden is so perfect. I think that I'm somewhere in the middle. Maybe if Raoden were a side character in Sarene's POV, that would be better.