Do Different Feruchemical Metalminds Fill at Different Speeds?

Trusk'our

Question

In this WoB, we see that different Allomantic metals use different amounts of investiture based on the amount of “work” they do.

Brandon Sanderson

The longest lasting of the Allomantic metals is actually copper, which is used by Smokers to hide Allomancy. Tin is second, however. Steel and Iron are actually rather quick, but since they're generally used in bursts, it's hard to notice. Both brass and zinc are medium, as is bronze. Pewter burns the fastest of the basic eight, though atium and gold both burn faster than it does.

In my mind, it's related to how much 'work' the metal has to do. That's why pewter, steel, and iron burn so quickly. A lot of weight and power is getting thrown around, while copper only has to do something simple. However, I never really set any of these things hard-fast.

And, only atium is really all that rare. Because of the value of the metals, the noble houses expended a lot of resources finding and exploiting mines to produce the metals. This resulted in a slightly higher value for most of them as opposed to our world, but not really noticeably so, because Allomancers really don't need that much metal. Even fast burning metals, like pewter, are generally only swallowed in very small amounts. (i.e. A small bit goes a long way.)

so, assuming that every metal can store the same amount of investiture, would Metalminds that stored attributes that took more “work” to accomplish the same percentage of enhancements as other attributes be filled faster?

4 answers to this question

Metalminds work on a sort of self-canabolism. A stronger feruchemist could store more strength because he has more strength to lose. Similarly, a quicker thinking person would be able to store more quick thinking. A faster person could store more speed.

It doesn't make sense to think about metal minds in the same way we do about burning metals. For metals it is intrinsic to the metal and your allomantic power.

For a feruchemist the speed that you can store up a metal's attribute would increase depending on how much of that attribute you have to begin with. It would have nothing to do with the metal and everything to do with how much investiture a given activity uses. 

That makes sense to me.  Making sure I'm on the same page here, you're saying that for equally sized metalminds who are being filled at the same base rate, that a work-dense attribute like Pewter  would be filled quicker than a work-light attribute?  Even with people having differing base fill/tap speeds, I think that should be the case.

On 2/2/2022 at 4:24 AM, Kandrafish said:

Metalminds work on a sort of self-canabolism. A stronger feruchemist could store more strength because he has more strength to lose. Similarly, a quicker thinking person would be able to store more quick thinking. A faster person could store more speed.

Kind of.  Say person A can lift 200 lbs, and Person B can lift 100 lbs.  While person A does have a greater potential to store more faster, with their fill ceiling at 200 lbs of effective strength, that does not mean that they are always filling more.  Person B could walk around filling 50lbs of effective stength and person A 25 lbs.  Since the effective strength is normalized, if the metalminds are the same size, B's metalmind fills faster.

Edited by Anomander Rake
hit enter early like an idiot lol

On 2/22/2022 at 1:40 PM, Anomander Rake said:

That makes sense to me.  Making sure I'm on the same page here, you're saying that for equally sized metalminds who are being filled at the same base rate, that a work-dense attribute like Pewter  would be filled quicker than a work-light attribute? 

Yes, that is what I meant.