Have you ever had to babysit without being paid? Ever been blamed for something your siblings did because "you should have been a better example"? Have you ever tried to settle a dispute between your younger siblings because when they complained to your parents, the parents said "figure it out"? (Ok, that one may be a little specific, but it happens very often in our house.) Have you ever felt like you are practically a parent, just without the ability to punish kids who are bad?

If so, you are probably an oldest sibling! This is our place to gripe about life (lol) or just talk about stuff. And it's not only for first siblings, anyone who can relate can join in. NO YOUNGESTS ALLOWED!

Edited by Szeth's Facepalm
Lot of siblings here, not just olders lol

I'm the oldest of 5. It has benefits.... mostly not. I think that no matter your birth order, you'll always think its the worst. Personally, I think being the middle child would be an absolute nightmare, but oldest isn't great either. 

Especially when you have to watch your younger sibling getting privileges or other similar things years before you did. 

Although I'm the youngest sibling I can still relate.

Most of the kids in my neighborhood are younger than me, so I have to resolve their arguments constantly. Many of them call me their "second mom", and I'm usually the one cleaning up the messes they make. 

Now I too, can experience the chaos my older brother had to put up with. I was a storming monster when I was little. 

Edited by JungleFiend

9 hours ago, Tani said:

I'm also a middle kid.

Also, statistically there are more middle kids than oldest kids. Therefore, anyone here is more likely to be a middle kid than an oldest sibling.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh i don't think that's true

Cause, think about it. There needs to be at least three kids for there to be a middle kid, and there only really needs to be one for there to be an oldest. So any family with any number of kids has an oldest but only families with at least three have a middle.

... right? Idk lol

4 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

Cause, think about it. There needs to be at least three kids for there to be a middle kid, and there only really needs to be one for there to be an oldest. So any family with any number of kids has an oldest but only families with at least three have a middle.

... right? Idk lol

Even if you claim there would need to be at least two, it would still be that there are more oldest siblings.

15 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

... right? Idk lol

Technically with one kid they'd be the youngest by your criteria - they didn't have to deal with younger siblings.

Also, there can be more middle kids than oldest kids, because once there's an oldest, there's only one oldest, and there can continue to be a bunch of different youngests.

Also also, there are lots of youngest kids who are like middle kids: they are at one point being babysat and maybe not obeying their older sibling or the child in charge of them, and at another point being in charge of various younger neighborhood kids or cousins.

World average household size is 4.9. This is counting single parents, couples without kids, adults by themselves, polygamous families, nonpolygamous families, extended families in the same house, etc.

Which means the average number of children should be higher than 2.9. By more than 0.1.

And the "middle kids" group is even bigger, because of the cousins babysitting cousins factor.

So yes, there are probably more middle kids than older kids.

16 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

yes. but that is all I say. also it is only more than the amount people have said, not necessarily that which is facts. 

Double digits.

Edited by Tani

Just now, Tani said:

Technically with one kid they'd be the youngest by your criteria - they didn't have to deal with younger siblings.

Also, there can be more middle kids than oldest kids, because once there's an oldest, there's only one oldest, and there can continue to be a bunch of different youngests.

Also also, there are lots of youngest kids who are like middle kids: they are at one point being babysat and maybe not obeying their older sibling or the child in charge of them, and at another point being in charge of various younger neighborhood kids or cousins.

World average household size is 4.9. This is counting single parents, couples without kids, adults by themselves, polygamous families, nonpolygamous families, extended families in the same house, etc.

Which means the average number of children should be higher than 2.9. By more than 0.1.

And the "middle kids" group is even bigger, because of the cousins babysitting cousins factor.

So yes, there are probably more middle kids than older kids.

Double digits.

it is a single digit number

Being the middle of three kinda stinks, I have an older brother and a younger sister. My sister is a fair bit younger and has totally different interests and just wants to do her own thing, and my older brother rarely wants to do anything with me. Oldest siblings, if your younger sibling asks to play with you or do some activity with you, do it if you can. -_-

One thing that must be nice about being the oldest is getting more new clothes, instead of hand-me-downs. ^_^

Just now, #1 Taln Fan said:

Being the middle of three kinda stinks, I have an older brother and a younger sister. My sister is a fair bit younger and has totally different interests and just wants to do her own thing, and my older brother rarely wants to do anything with me. Oldest siblings, if your younger sibling asks to play with you or do some activity with you, do it if you can. -_-

One thing that must be nice about being the oldest is getting more new clothes, instead of hand-me-downs. ^_^

HAHA. we almost never get hand-me-downs, I usually get stuff from thrift stores and from other people giving stuff to me (friends from church and other) so I almost never get new clothes.

10 minutes ago, #1 Taln Fan said:

Yeah, we always joke about how my little sister has the most clothes (because of two older sibling's hand-me-downs.)