Xenoblade Chronicles 3

Zurvanight

The Direct actually convinced me to buy the game when it comes out. I haven't really played a Xenoblade game before. I've watched all of Chuggaaconroy's Xenoblade 1 LP and all of the base game stuff for Xenoblade 2. I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X for the WiiU and played it...once? I liked it, but the UI was awful, and the print on the screen was tiny, so I just didn't play it. I did watch a playthrough later, though. 

Overall, I'd say I'm a casual fan of the series, knowledgeable enough to know of the series, the main story and twists, characters, and general gameplay mechanics, but overall I'm not a giant fan. However, this Direct convinced me to try it out again. I'm liking the character models FAR more than the first two games, the story seems to be one that I'll enjoy as well, and the gameplay looks to be pretty fun this time around, with elements of both numbered installations. 

Granted, I won't play it for a long time yet. I'm devoting the remainder of my summer break (yay being a new teacher!) to finishing up Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, reading Brian McClellan's new book, and reading a John Gwynne that I promised a friend. (And being completely, honest, Three Hopes is probably the only major thing that will get done.) 

Here's official art for all the new characters that have been introduced. 

XC3_Ethel_Artwork.thumb.png.76828bb8b276319c0e74602a67c6dbab.png

Ethel

Melia_XC3_Sprite.thumb.png.3caca980ca1317beb72515130110ae30.png

Queen of Keves

Nia_XC3_Sprite.thumb.png.3eaf90a0bde210a84bc4e58c6c549af7.png

Queen of Agnus

XC3_Cammuravi_Artwork.thumb.png.597ab920a8fcca7e517278aa491756d2.png

Cammuravi

XC3_Juniper_Artwork.thumb.png.095ae282431324b99a1a9c68753a4e80.png

Juniper

XC3_Zeon_Artwork.thumb.png.b8fb921c15463c4bfd73e35761928383.png

Zeon

XC3_Valdi_Artwork.thumb.png.e5722ef006ec5d09b65b57a2d13b35d6.png

Valdi

XC3_Guernica_Vandham_Artwork.thumb.png.0b9febfd1bf1ae41e856effd1a2448b5.png

Vandham

XC3_Riku_and_Manana_Artwork.thumb.png.88f298ea295cd0297e011502a6ae317e.png

Riku and Manana

XC3_Isurd_Artwork.thumb.jpg.80232b8cd28b7df866723f2bd7f7f370.jpg

Isurd

XC3_Ashera_Artwork.thumb.png.d1907e84f867e0e595a79f3160a8fdc2.png

Ashera

XC3_Fiona_Artwork.thumb.png.6f511d4416d695c6dbb141116b4b68ac.png

Fiona

XC3_Gray_Artwork.thumb.png.1deac8f158db31f63d2d8747bb5b31a5.png

Gray

XC3_Alexandria_Artwork.thumb.png.9c78a4dcadbf96cae5b4dccbdb898d93.png

Alexandria

XC3_D_Artwork.thumb.png.77aff302da55932c471f938b38543f24.png

D

XC3_N_Artwork.thumb.png.0e7f0439bebb37f4b49aee0fa3094990.png

N

Edited by Zurvanite

12 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

D and N? Those are their names?

Yeah, there's also P and a few more whose names we don't know. They belong to a group called the Consul. 

N looks suspiciously like Noah. Same hair and eye color, and his sword looks similar to Noah's.

Also notice how some characters have different artstyles? You can tell that Keves characters are drawn in XC1 style, while Agnus characters are drawn in XC2 style.

Another interesting thing is Gray's title is Full Metal Jaguar, which was Elma's class in Xenoblade Chronicles X. He even looks like a character from X.

Edited by Zurvanite

I found this neat video in my recommendations on YouTube and it brings some interesting things to light, and speculations from the Direct. There are some spoilers for the beginning of the game that were shown in the Direct so don't watch if you don't want any spoilers. 

Edited by Zurvanite

The more I learn about this game, the more I want to play it. I can hardly wait.

I love how the game takes aspects from XC1 and XC2 and puts them in the environment, characters, story, and basically everything else. But I have also noticed many aesthetic nods to XCX. For example, the desert environment looks a lot like Oblivia, especially because there seems to be some wreckage from the Mechonis there. There are a ton of other simple aesthetic elements that remind me of XCX.

I also noticed that, at least for the original classes, the characters from Keves have circle shaped Art icons, and the characters from Agnus have diamond shaped ones, referencing the Art icons from the game their country comes from. Just a little nod that I thought was cool.

Another thing I noticed that has minor spoilers for both previous games:

Spoiler

In the direct, you see them exploring a wooded area that is called the "Maktha Wood". It has a bunch of trees and vines, but also the ruins of what look like skyscrapers. I think it's somehow a combination of the Makna Woods from XC1 and the Land of Morytha from XC2, with Makna+Morytha=Maktha. I wonder if any other areas in the game follow this naming system...

Overall, I am incredibly excited. They've created a very well thought out world that obviously has deep lore and secrets, and I can't wait to play the game and find out what it has to offer.

I don't remember how long it took... sorry.

do remember that there was a gameplay element that made you do a bunch of side quests in order to progress in the story. It was annoying, and probably made the play time longer that it would have been otherwise.

But it was worth it when you finished it.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on all of the videos and trailers I've watched, and all of the music that they've released, I can safely conclude that this game is going to be incredible.

The music really is insanely good. I've always loved all of the Xenoblade Chronicles soundtracks, and this game is clearly continuing that tradition. All of the music is new and original while still clearly following the Xenoblade Chronicles style. And the way they've incorporated the flute into the soundtrack, to fit the theme of the off-seers, just makes it all so much better.

The story and gameplay look really well streamlined. The battle system is incredibly detailed and complex, and I can't wait to see what combinations and styles I'll be able to try out within that battle system. The world is clearly full of lore and secrets, and connections to both previous games, and those secrets are one of the things that I am looking forward to the most.

I think there's a good chance this is going to turn out to be my favorite Xenoblade Chronicles game.

Well, being somewhere in the middle of Chapter 3 now, (and off doing a side quest to level up because I'm stuck on an enemy) I can safely say that this game is fully living up to expectations.

There are so many secrets....you can tell just how layered the plot is, and how much you're going to learn by the end.

I'm slowly getting the hang of the battle and Class systems. It really is very intricate, and I can't wait to see what combinations are possible by the time I get to the end.

7 minutes ago, Shard of Reading said:

So I want to start playing some xenoblade, but I was wondering what game should I start with? Should I go in chronological order or just start with 3?

Xenoblade Chronicles 3 is designed so that you can play it without playing either of the previous games, but I think you're still going to end up enjoying it more if you've played the previous games. I'm only a little ways into it, but there are already some easter eggs for you to spot.

And because now all three games (not counting Xenoblade Chronicles X) are available for the Switch I would probably recommend starting with 1, then 2, then going to 3.

But it doesn't really matter. I played 2 before I played 1, and still fully enjoyed both games. And I'm sure you'd have a lot of fun playing 3, and then going back and playing 1 and 2, and getting all of the easter eggs you missed the first time around.

Started the game on Sunday and am really enjoying it so far! I think I've finished most of the tutorials, as I recruited the first Hero. Sadly, my summer break is all but over now, so my time to place is incredibly limited now. Still, if the game keeps the momentum it started with, then this may be one of my top 3 games of the year. 

Beat the game and I have to say this is my favorite Xenoblade game in terms of story and combat. Also definitely play the first two games. I won't say why but it's definitely worth it if you do. 

Also since the game was released OST videos are up on YouTube and here's the best battle theme in the game bar none: 

Spoiler

Also I have a favor to anyone who has found this but does anyone know how to unlock

Spoiler

Tritons Awakening quest? It's the only one I'm missing. Do you have to Soulhack enemies or is their some other prerequisite? I can't find any info online yet. 

Edited by Zurvanite