I've discovered the beauty of Model United Nations

Medium

Today I spent 8 and a half hours at a Model United Nations (MUN) conference. I was a page (A person who passes notes between delegates), and got to listen to the "US senate" discuss what to do. My simulative group was Historical Crises, and we were doing the attacks on 9/11, and the retaliation after said attacks. We had 13 senators, split among the Democratic and Republican parties, and they debated over 3 resolutions for what to do. We diverted 50 billion dollars into military R&D for retaliation, and did some lengthy discussions on ethics and strategy.

We passed 2 resolutions into law, and dismissed another. Near the end of the conference, we were informed that 3 of the senators in the room had ordered our troops to bomb other locations of our troops. The senators in question were immediately put on trial, and expelled from the Senate. The senators were 2 Democrats, and a Republican. It was handled in a humorous manner, as this was all fake. The 2 democrats were exiled from the country, and the republican was given (oddly enough) the Congressional Medal of Honor.

So yeah. MUN is awesome and hilarious, and I'm totally doing it again.

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2022 at 4:57 PM, CalanoCorvus said:

Today I spent 8 and a half hours at a Model United Nations (MUN) conference. I was a page (A person who passes notes between delegates), and got to listen to the "US senate" discuss what to do. My simulative group was Historical Crises, and we were doing the attacks on 9/11, and the retaliation after said attacks. We had 13 senators, split among the Democratic and Republican parties, and they debated over 3 resolutions for what to do. We diverted 50 billion dollars into military R&D for retaliation, and did some lengthy discussions on ethics and strategy.

We passed 2 resolutions into law, and dismissed another. Near the end of the conference, we were informed that 3 of the senators in the room had ordered our troops to bomb other locations of our troops. The senators in question were immediately put on trial, and expelled from the Senate. The senators were 2 Democrats, and a Republican. It was handled in a humorous manner, as this was all fake. The 2 democrats were exiled from the country, and the republican was given (oddly enough) the Congressional Medal of Honor.

So yeah. MUN is awesome and hilarious, and I'm totally doing it again.

I wish I had done more of it, it really is a lot of fun

• 2 months later...