Does Savantism Continue to Build Up?

Trusk'our

Question

So, when a person becomes a Savant, their spiritweb is suffused with investiture.

Questioner

So Allomantic Savants. So I was curious-- That system-- When that happens, is it purely physiological, or is there something else happening in terms of--

Brandon Sanderson

Uhh, it's physiological in a cosmere sense, but that can involve your Cognitive and Spiritual aspects.

Questioner

I guess the question there is, are there other similar processes to savantism with other--

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, yeah you've seen it. So, Soulcasters.

Argent

Where their skin turns--

Brandon Sanderson

Where they're slowly being-- their spirit is slowly being merged and infused with Investiture that is having Physical ramifications. It's the same thing.

If their spiritweb is actually having investiture added to it, then will that investiture continue to build up over time? 

Would someone like the Lord Ruler have a much larger amount of power added to them than someone like Spook due to adding investiture to their spiritweb over a significantly longer period of time?

3 answers to this question

It seems natural that the buildup will continue, but I wonder if it starts changing the person physically at some point.

Savantism is essentially burning so much metal that it warps your soul. I wonder if especially long-lived Savants would eventually start developing physical deformities and/or mental issues, as happens with Hemalurgic constructs.

13 hours ago, ShardlessVessel said:

It seems natural that the buildup will continue, but I wonder if it starts changing the person physically at some point.

Savantism is essentially burning so much metal that it warps your soul. I wonder if especially long-lived Savants would eventually start developing physical deformities and/or mental issues, as happens with Hemalurgic constructs.

we know that Spook flaring tin physically damaged his senses (because Sazed mentions having to heal the damage), and we know that Soulcasting Savantism turns your body into the material you Soulcast, so it's certainly possible that other forms of savantism also affect your body.