I'm reading The Stormlight Archive for the first time

Amira

18 minutes ago, Amira said:

I won't, but that's fine. This is my personal preference.

SA2, chapter 70: wow, Kaladin and Shallan walking through the chasms is taking its sweet time and nothing seems to happen. I want them to find out about each other's surgebinding already!

Well, character interaction in itself can be interesting, but I guess it's just Shallan cracking jokes on Kaladin, so it's not really aĺl that much. Then again... You like action, and don't like Kaladin without his powers. So... it's not really surprising that you don't like this section much.

I can get your impatient. It's kind of odd, how Kaladin thinks he somehow rescued Shallan when he just had a stab of Stormlight - with no evidence he slowed down his own descent, not to speak that of others. But hey, that's just an opinion.... And how she thinks she rescued him... Well, to be fair, we don't know for sure what their limits are yet.

33 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 70: wow, Kaladin and Shallan walking through the chasms is taking its sweet time and nothing seems to happen. I want them to find out about each other's surgebinding already!

Fair enough.  Just hang in there.  No matter how dour or dire it gets, have patience with Kaladin.  It will pay off.

38 minutes ago, Amira said:

I felt the same way reading Words of Radiance for the first time.

But don't worry, there's a lot that happens in the chasms with those two.

Spoiler

Chasmfiend attack, among other things

SA2, chapter 71: Yaas, Shallan summoned her Blade; secret #1 is OUT! Let's gooooo!

I know, I spend months reading a chapter every other week, then read ten chapters in a day.

Chapter 72: They defeated the chasmfiend and the storm hit! What do you mean the next chapter is about Shallan's past? Nooooo, I need to hear what happens next!

Chapter 73, Shallan's past: and Shallan kills her father. Somehow I expected it to be with the Shardblade. I wonder how she gets that.

74, nice, Kaladin figured out Shallan is a surgebinder. Now he has to get his powers back!

Edited by Amira

It’s not so much Morals as it is that each order has their own set of Ideals which correspond to the character of their Spren.

Windrunners are bonded to Honorspren so their actions / ideals need to be honorable.

Pattern on the other hand would likely buzz excitedly if Shallan told a lie to someone while plotting a murder with another.

14 hours ago, Amira said:

Chapter 66: Loved Adolin in this chapter! So nice to see Adolin and Kaladin starting to become friends. Adolin (1) went to prison as a gesture to Kaladin, (2) gave Kaladin Shards, and (3) believed Kaladin about Amaram (go Adolin!!). Meanwhile, Kaladin... did WHAT? No... Kaladin... I expected better from you... You don't just decide to kill a man because "it will be better for the world". That's not how it works! I assume Kaladin eventually comes to his senses, seeing as everyone in this forum still loves him. I just hope it's soon. Gosh, the characters in Stormlight are so stupid sometimes...

That's why I love Adolin, he's such a nice guy for everyone. This chapter shows the best of him, unlike Kaladin where it's the worst of him. 

12 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 67, Dalinar: Ugh, it's the start of part 4, and everything has slowed down again. I want the action back! Give me Kaladin! Surgebinding! Flying! Dalinar and Adolin finding out! Kaladin vs Szeth! Although now Kaladin is conspiring to commit murder, so do I still want to hear about him?

You are getting closer to the end of WoR. You'll have a lot of action soon.

10 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 68, Kaladin:

LOL this cracked me up, not even sure why. Okay, so the problem is Kaladin made two conflicting promises. That makes things a little better I guess, though I still don't like how Surgebinding doesn't work if you don't follow the right morals. I'm never going to like that. Glad to see all the main characters together again though - Kaladin, Shallan, Adolin, and Dalinar. And now someone's trying to throw Dalinar into the chasm; yikes! I'd better read the next chapter!

Chapter 69: Very cool twist of events! Kaladin and Shallan are down in the chasms! Of course they could both survive the fall with Stormlight. I wonder if they'll end up finding out about each other! I hope Kaladin's warning led to Adolin saving Dalinar. Pretty cool how Kaladin keeps saving Dalinar over and over. Doing his job.

Not every Order is like this. Windrunners value morality and oaths, while Skybreakers are all about following the law. Some Orders can lie and perjure all they want (khem khem Shallan). But all Orders has to live up to their Oaths and Ideals. That can cause problems to Radiants.

Kaladin and Shallan in chasm is one of my favorite sequence in WoR. It's so therapeutic for them, so nice to see them finally getting close. For some it's where Shalladin ship first sailed. 

7 hours ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 71: Yaas, Shallan summoned her Blade; secret #1 is OUT! Let's gooooo!

Yes, that's a secret out :P 

7 hours ago, Amira said:

I know, I spend months reading a chapter every other week, then read ten chapters in a day.

It's so nice to wake up to this surprise of so many new reactions from you. We all had moments when we couldn't stop reading, and you choose the right one for that.  

7 hours ago, Amira said:

Chapter 72: They defeated the chasmfiend and the storm hit! What do you mean the next chapter is about Shallan's past? Nooooo, I need to hear what happens next!

This was another great fight scene. Chasmfiends are so cool, I was sad they had to kill it.

19 hours ago, Amira said:

That makes things a little better I guess, though I still don't like how Surgebinding doesn't work if you don't follow the right morals.

I'm curious to hear about how this squares with your earlier comment regarding people in power arbitrarily crushing those beneath them. If you're open to discussing a bit more (and you don't have to, obviously), would you expand on why the link between morals and the incredible powers of Surgebinding is unsatisfying to you?

Edited by Returned
Fixed some repetitive phrasing

Ah, thanks everyone for explaining. Yes, understanding that it's the spren makes it a lot better. My issue was mostly that the source of the rules wasn't clear to me. People's morals tend to vary based on personal opinions, and having a power that worked or didn't work depending on something that's an opinion begged the question whose opinion it was and why did that entity have a say, and what if they weren't right? But I guess I should think about it like a contract, a partnership. If Kaladin starts behaving in ways that Syl doesn't get along with, she's going to drift away and so will his powers.

6 hours ago, Returned said:

I'm curious to hear about how this squares with your earlier comment regarding people in power arbitrarily crushing those beneath them. If you're open to discussing a bit more (and you don't have to, obviously), would you expand on why the link between morals and the incredible powers of Surgebinding is unsatisfying to you?

Hm, there are several directions from which I could answer this question. One of them (and let me know if this answers your question sufficiently) is that I didn't want an outside force - even Syl - to barge in and punish Kaladin for conspiring with Moash. I wanted Kaladin himself to realize it was wrong. I mean, I wanted Kaladin to not do it in the first place. He could have given the Shards to Teft. I understand Kaladin was pissed at being in jail, but that just isn't going to change the fact that now I like him less. Ironically, I respect Moash more than Kaladin. At least Moash is doing it for revenge. Kaladin is trying to play God, deciding who to kill "for the good of the kingdom".

10 hours ago, alder24 said:

It's so nice to wake up to this surprise of so many new reactions from you.

Aw, thank you! You made my day!

SA2, chapter 75: Lovely scene of Dalinar finding out that Kaladin lived. We never found out if Kaladin and Shallan talked about Surgebinding on their way back (Kaladin hinted that he might confront her about it), so I'm going to assume they didn't. And now... what do you mean it's the end of part 4? Didn't I just start part 4? Wow, I must have read that really fast. In book 1, the climax was in part 4 while part 5 was more like a set of epilogues. This time the climax is going to happen in part 5. The whole sequence of Kaladin and Shallan in the chasms was a lot of fun, even though I hate Kaladin losing his powers.

Confession time. I probably wouldn't have finished WoK if I hadn't decided to "blog" about it here, so I have you all to thank. So much of WoR so far has been great!

38 minutes ago, Amira said:

Hm, there are several directions from which I could answer this question. One of them (and let me know if this answers your question sufficiently) is that I didn't want an outside force - even Syl - to barge in and punish Kaladin for conspiring with Moash. I wanted Kaladin himself to realize it was wrong. I mean, I wanted Kaladin to not do it in the first place. He could have given the Shards to Teft. I understand Kaladin was pissed at being in jail, but that just isn't going to change the fact that now I like him less. Ironically, I respect Moash more than Kaladin. At least Moash is doing it for revenge. Kaladin is trying to play God, deciding who to kill "for the good of the kingdom".

There's no wrong answer, so that answer is definitely sufficient! The issue is one that is a substantial theme of the series, which really starts being emphasized in WoR. I'm looking forward to the story wrestling with it further in future books too, and maybe you'll be similarly interested. I found a lot of the sequences that deal with the topic to be uncomfortable, given the internal and external conflicts involved, but I can't imagine the series without them. The Oaths are at the heart of Radiance, even if no one involved quite understands what that means or how to deal with it.

48 minutes ago, Amira said:

Confession time. I probably wouldn't have finished WoK if I hadn't decided to "blog" about it here, so I have you all to thank. So much of WoR so far has been great!

I'm really glad you've stuck with it! I hope you continue to find the series rewarding. I did, and I like seeing other people enjoy it.

51 minutes ago, Amira said:

But I guess I should think about it like a contract, a partnership. If Kaladin starts behaving in ways that Syl doesn't get along with, she's going to drift away and so will his powers.

52 minutes ago, Amira said:

is that I didn't want an outside force - even Syl - to barge in and punish Kaladin for conspiring with Moash.

The contract is a good skeleton on which to hang the concept - but also remember it's a bit deeper than that. The Spren will only be attracted to somebody that already "shares" some of their Ideals (e.g. Syl was attracted to Kaladin because he was already the type of person inclined to protect others and honor oaths). So, when an Oath is sworn, the Radiant has to follow that Oath. Going against the Oath weakens the bond.

The whole Chasm sequence was foreshadowed on the Training grounds way back in Ch 18:

Spoiler

Kaladin sucked in sharply and forced his eyes open. Stormlight from the pouch at his belt filled him. Not too much. Don’t let them see. Don’t let them take it away from you!

Pain vanished. His shoulder reknit—he didn’t know if he’d broken it or just dislocated it. Zahel cried out in surprise as Kaladin pitched himself up to his feet and dashed back toward Adolin.

The prince stumbled away, hand out to his side, obviously summoning his Blade. Kaladin kicked his fallen half-spear up in a spray of sand, then grabbed it in midair as he got near.

In that moment, the strength drained from him. The tempest inside of him fled without warning, and he stumbled, gasping at the returning pain of his shoulder.

<snip>

“What happened?” Kaladin asked. “The Stormlight drained from me. I felt it go.”

“Who were you protecting?” Syl asked.

“I . . . I was practicing how to fight, like when I practiced with Skar and Rock down in the chasms.”

“Is that really what you were doing?” Syl asked.

He didn’t know. 

1 hour ago, Amira said:

I probably wouldn't have finished WoK if I hadn't decided to "blog" about it here, so I have you all to thank. So much of WoR so far has been great!

I hope you've found sticking with it has been worth the time and trouble.

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

The contract is a good skeleton on which to hang the concept - but also remember it's a bit deeper than that. The Spren will only be attracted to somebody that already "shares" some of their Ideals (e.g. Syl was attracted to Kaladin because he was already the type of person inclined to protect others and honor oaths). So, when an Oath is sworn, the Radiant has to follow that Oath. Going against the Oath weakens the bond.

The whole Chasm sequence was foreshadowed on the Training grounds way back in Ch 18:

Reveal hidden contents

Kaladin sucked in sharply and forced his eyes open. Stormlight from the pouch at his belt filled him. Not too much. Don’t let them see. Don’t let them take it away from you!

Pain vanished. His shoulder reknit—he didn’t know if he’d broken it or just dislocated it. Zahel cried out in surprise as Kaladin pitched himself up to his feet and dashed back toward Adolin.

The prince stumbled away, hand out to his side, obviously summoning his Blade. Kaladin kicked his fallen half-spear up in a spray of sand, then grabbed it in midair as he got near.

In that moment, the strength drained from him. The tempest inside of him fled without warning, and he stumbled, gasping at the returning pain of his shoulder.

<snip>

“What happened?” Kaladin asked. “The Stormlight drained from me. I felt it go.”

“Who were you protecting?” Syl asked.

“I . . . I was practicing how to fight, like when I practiced with Skar and Rock down in the chasms.”

“Is that really what you were doing?” Syl asked.

He didn’t know. 

I hope you've found sticking with it has been worth the time and trouble.

Spoiler

I’m honestly not sure if Syl is alive at this point, or if the Stormfather is lying about her death so he can separate them.

Edited by Elder

11 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

don't insult poor elokhar. he is useless. his wife is plain malicious.

I think you meant to say "Don't flatter Elhokar's wife", since apparently I called Elhokar what he was - useless - but called his wife something better than what she is.

SA2, interlude 14: Wow, Taravangian has a weird definition of intelligence. I understand that part of his curse is to lose his compassion on days when he's smarter, but talking the dumb half of the city into committing suicide is dumb any way you look at it. On the one hand it's dumb to think it can be pulled off; on the other hand it's dumb to think it's a good idea when your main goal is world domination (or whatever he's going for) via making everyone like you. Killing half the city would put a dent in the plan to make people like him, so why would he think it's a good idea on a day when he's supposedly smart? All this said, I absolutely loved the Diagram idea. It's a super cool villain backstory, and also just super cool in general. So, um, in what book do we meet this horrid Nightwatcher? I hate her; don't know why so many characters seek her. And yes, I understand a little more about Szeth now. As soon as he confirms Kaladin (or someone else!) has bonded with a spren, he will stop obeying orders... (at which point madness might claim him. Either way, I can't wait to read about it!)

Part 5 let's gooooooooooooo

What chapter would you say is the start of the Sanderlanche?

Edited by Amira

57 minutes ago, Amira said:

I think you meant to say "Don't flatter Elhokar's wife", since apparently I called Elhokar what he was - useless - but called his wife something better than what she is.

SA2, interlude 14: Wow, Taravangian has a weird definition of intelligence. I understand that part of his curse is to lose his compassion on days when he's smarter, but talking the dumb half of the city into committing suicide is dumb any way you look at it. On the one hand it's dumb to think it can be pulled off; on the other hand it's dumb to think it's a good idea when your main goal is world domination (or whatever he's going for) via making everyone like you. Killing half the city would put a dent in the plan to make people like him, so why would he think it's a good idea on a day when he's supposedly smart? All this said, I absolutely loved the Diagram idea. It's a super cool villain backstory, and also just super cool in general. So, um, in what book do we meet this horrid Nightwatcher? I hate her; don't know why so many characters seek her. And yes, I understand a little more about Szeth now. As soon as he confirms Kaladin (or someone else!) has bonded with a spren, he will stop obeying orders... (at which point madness might claim him. Either way, I can't wait to read about it!)

Part 5 let's gooooooooooooo

Spoiler

You’ll meet the Nightwatcher in book 3

Edited by Elder

SA2, chapter 76: Dalinar came to his senses about Amaram, Kaladin came to his senses about Moash, and Aladar came to his senses as an added bonus. Nice chapter. Wait, so why could Dalinar hide a bonded Blade for days while Alodin couldn't even throw his?

My rep says I'm an Originator. I wonder what that is.

Edited by Amira

It pertains to Mistborn Era 2 - and how they reference the characters who were in Mistborn Era 1

14 minutes ago, Amira said:

SA2, chapter 76: Dalinar came to his senses about Amaram, Kaladin came to his senses about Moash, and Aladar came to his senses as an added bonus. Nice chapter.

Yeah - Ch 76 is a high note. With the possible exception that so much stupidity could have been avoided if Dalinar had just actually told Kaladin that he was investigating. . .

1 hour ago, Amira said:

SA2, interlude 14: Wow, Taravangian has a weird definition of intelligence. I understand that part of his curse is to lose his compassion on days when he's smarter, but talking the dumb half of the city into committing suicide is dumb any way you look at it. On the one hand it's dumb to think it can be pulled off; on the other hand it's dumb to think it's a good idea when your main goal is world domination (or whatever he's going for) via making everyone like you. Killing half the city would put a dent in the plan to make people like him, so why would he think it's a good idea on a day when he's supposedly smart? All this said, I absolutely loved the Diagram idea. It's a super cool villain backstory, and also just super cool in general.

There are days at work this doesn't seem like such a bad idea, actually.

Sarcasm aside, it was such a bad idea it drove his retainers to make the test and limit his ability to interact/enact law on both ends of the bell curve of Intellectual/Emotional IQ. So, bad idea had good(ish) results.

Sounds about right

So, um, in what book do we meet this horrid Nightwatcher?

Book 3 - Dalinar Flashbacks

I would call it around Ch 81. Very hard to put down from then until the end.

12 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

don't insult poor elokhar. he is useless. his wife is plain malicious.

Well, to be fair, Aesudan has some things going on besides her horrid personality.

12 hours ago, Amira said:

Oh here we go! That chapter was a great one. I think Taravangian was thinking he will be able to reason with people and convince dumb people commit suicide, and nobody would blame Taravangian, they will agree with him - well that's what he was thinking back then. He probably wanted to increase intelligence levels in population, and that's one way to do it.

So now you have one answer about Szeth. 99 more to go! :P 

Nightwatcher isn't that bad. It's not her fault people come to her with wishes. They know the cost.

SA2, chapter 76: Dalinar came to his senses about Amaram, Kaladin came to his senses about Moash, and Aladar came to his senses as an added bonus. Nice chapter. Wait, so why could Dalinar hide a bonded Blade for days while Alodin couldn't even throw his?

Yes, this was a very satisfying chapter. So many things got resolved. 

Bonding a Shardblade requires carrying it everywhere for a week or two, so to make sure nobody will see Dalinar with it, he fakes an Illness. That has nothing to do with throwing a Shardblade, as throwing it requires a mental image to make sure it won't disappear into mists as soon as it leaves his hand.

Wow, it's the first time I have no Idea, but you're Elantrian now, and you guessed it, it's from Elantris.

34 minutes ago, alder24 said:

Wow, it's the first time I have no Idea, but you're Elantrian now, and you guessed it, it's from Elantris.

Originators were the people who (HoA spoilers)

Spoiler

survived Sazed's ascension hiding in the Lord Rulers storage caverns and became the first inhabitants of Elendel Basin.

21 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Yeah - Ch 76 is a high note. With the possible exception that so much stupidity could have been avoided if Dalinar had just actually told Kaladin that he was investigating. . .

Dalinar was "sick" during Kaladin's time in jail. In other words, Dalinar was bonding the Blade while Kaladin was in jail. As Dalinar explained, he only hid the Blade after he bonded it. Hiding the Blade and telling Amaram about it was his "investigation". Which means Dalinar only started investigating after Kaladin had gone to jail for challenging Amaram, so I'm not sure what could have been avoided.

11 hours ago, alder24 said:

I think Taravangian was thinking he will be able to reason with people and convince dumb people commit suicide, and nobody would blame Taravangian, they will agree with him - well that's what he was thinking back then. He probably wanted to increase intelligence levels in population, and that's one way to do it.

Yes, I get it, but this doesn't seem "smart." The whole idea of locking him away when he's smart doesn't work for me. Either his ideas are smart, or they're not.

11 hours ago, alder24 said:

Bonding a Shardblade requires carrying it everywhere for a week or two, so to make sure nobody will see Dalinar with it, he fakes an Illness. That has nothing to do with throwing a Shardblade, as throwing it requires a mental image to make sure it won't disappear into mists as soon as it leaves his hand.

I'm not talking about bonding it. I'm talking about how after it was bonded, Dalinar hid it so Amaram could find it (the "treasure"). Dalinar did this so he could summon it back, as he did in the scene we saw. During all the time when the Blade was hidden, it was away from Dalinar and didn't turn to smoke. Why was Dalinar able to do that while Adolin couldn't even throw his Blade a few feet?

SA2, chapter 77: Yikes, Shallan was taken by Kaladin just as much as - if not more than - Kaladin was taken by Shallan. This is going to complicate things. I'm glad to see Kaladin is fully against what Moash is doing now, although I hate that he feels like there's nothing he can do about it (even if I understand why he feels this way, and the Weeping isn't helping his mood). Sometimes it frustrates me how Kaladin is always on the edge of not acting, considering how capable he is.

So I believe there are 3 Honorblades in play now belonging to Szeth, Dalinar, and Shallan.

Edited by Amira

20 minutes ago, Amira said:

Dalinar was "sick" during Kaladin's time in jail. In other words, Dalinar was bonding the Blade while Kaladin was in jail. As Dalinar explained, he only hid the Blade after he bonded it. Hiding the Blade and telling Amaram about it was his "investigation". Which means Dalinar only started investigating after Kaladin had gone to jail for challenging Amaram, so I'm not sure what could have been avoided.

Well, in my head it goes something like this (Ch 62 - when Dalinar visits Kaladin in jail):

You know, I had already started investigating Amaram after you spoke to me, but after seeing his reactions when you tried to challenge him I think I will continue to look a little deeper. I have some ideas on that.

See - it would not have taken much. It might have helped Kaladin cope with being locked up as well.

I'm not talking about bonding it. I'm talking about how after it was bonded, Dalinar hid it so Amaram could find it (the "treasure"). Dalinar did this so he could summon it back, as he did in the scene we saw. During all the time when the Blade was hidden, it was away from Dalinar and didn't turn to smoke. Why was Dalinar able to do that while Adolin couldn't even throw his Blade a few feet?

1. Dalinar is much more practiced with Blade commands than Adolin
  2. Adolin wasn't just trying to keep the blade from disappearing, he was trying to throw while also giving the Blade a command to do the same
  3. You'll get more on this in Oathbringer

So I believe there are 3 Honorblades in play now belonging to Szeth, Dalinar, and Shallan.

Interesting Theory

1 hour ago, Treamayne said:

Well, in my head it goes something like this (Ch 62 - when Dalinar visits Kaladin in jail):

See - it would not have taken much. It might have helped Kaladin cope with being locked up as well.

Ah, I see what you mean. So then Kaladin might not have given Moash the Shards?

SA2, chapter 78: Ahh, Shallan told Dalinar about her powers!! And Rlain is back! Exciting!

Chapter 79: I like Rlain. And having some human-Parshendi friendships will be good for this world.

Edited by Amira