I'm running a group of people through the Lost Mines of Phandelver module (with some changes, but that's probably normal) and so far we have 

a. started two game fights in IRL school (I like to joke about this. After all, we started a fight in a public area of the school building, several teachers walked by and saw us, and the fight still lasted over an hour. How isn't it funny?)

b. spent two sessions on a shakedown fight when there's a shakedown fight literally built into the module and I just didn't realize it until the players got ambushed by goblins

c. gone off on a bunch of fun tangents, including (gore warning?)

Spoiler

joking about bandits jumping out of dead horses and ambushing travelers

(and then I had one of the goblins hide in one of the dead horses to escape a dragonborn's frost breath after I rolled a nat 20 on its saving throw. This being a PG-13 game, internal organs don't exist and therefore weren't in the way. :P)

Edited by Ookla the Implosion

On 12/5/2022 at 10:58 PM, Ookla the Myopic said:

Yeah, we learned that the actual range for shape water is 5 feet, not 30 like we thought. :P

My group is starting another campaign on Fridays for those that want to do more D&D and so I make a Aarakocra Monk, and I rolled a 18 for Dex and a 17 for Wis. We use manual rolling. The rest of my rolls weren't good, but those two with a Monk, plus the +2 Dex and +1 Wis from being a Aarakocra, which I wasn't even paying attention to that at the time. So I have a base armor class of 19 with no armor and when I can increase my stats I can increase Wis to make it 20.

@Ookla the Crow

My new character has a higher AC then you and they're only level one :P

YES! YES! JOIN THE AARAKOCRA MONK GANG!

Sorry. I just really like aarakocra monks.

If you're using Xanathar's Guide to Everything, take the Sun Soul subclass. It may or may not turn you into Alina Starkov a flying ranged doom engine with lasers.

Xanathar's is kinda unbalanced.

Edited by Ookla the Nerdy

14 minutes ago, Ookla the Nerdy said:

Sorry. I just really like aarakocra monks.

They're very overpowered. :P

Since you get +2 to dex and +1 to wis, meaning you basically could get +2 to your armor class from the beginning.

Sun soul or way of the open hand though. Hmmm.

My character is basically a assassin who is trying to see what she can kill. Because were pirates and well. Open hand is easiest for killing everything instantly :P

Though sun soul wouldn't be bad either. I've also though about the way of the shadow as well.

I've still got a bit before I reach level three though. So I've got time to sort it out.

Edit: And my friend and I had a joke that when my character reaches level twenty that she will ascend and become a angel or goddess of death :P

Edited by Ookla the Myopic

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

They're very overpowered. :P

Since you get +2 to dex and +1 to wis, meaning you basically could get +2 to your armor class from the beginning.

Sun soul or way of the open hand though. Hmmm.

My character is basically a assassin who is trying to see what she can kill. Because were pirates and well. Open hand is easiest for killing everything instantly :P

Though sun soul wouldn't be bad either. I've also though about the way of the shadow as well.

I've still got a bit before I reach level three though. So I've got time to sort it out.

Edit: And my friend and I had a joke that when my character reaches level twenty that she will ascend and become a angel or goddess of death :P

Maybe try kensei? They get absurd bonuses to weapon attacks and a parry reaction at third level, and it only gets sillier from there. At 11th level, you can randomly make a +3 weapon for just three ki points.

Just a little unbalanced.

Edited by Ookla the Nerdy

I tried running a group once...

We turned a fairy into bacon with the magic "Bacon-eater fork" and one of the players ate it's head (they healed 1d4 hp)

We also ended up turning the god of all of existence and beyond into bacon using that same fork.

It was ............. interesting.

Edit: There was no saving throw involved in either of these instances

Edited by ExoticAlmond

2 hours ago, ExoticAlmond said:

I tried running a group once...

We turned a fairy into bacon with the magic "Bacon-eater fork" and one of the players ate it's head (they healed 1d4 hp)

We also ended up turning the god of all of existence and beyond into bacon using that same fork.

It was ............. interesting.

Edit: There was no saving throw involved in either of these instances

My group started another adventure and it's been hilarious so far. The NPC named Ned thinks the mansion is haunted so he took the snake corpses of the giant snakes that we killed and he dragged them back to the ship, very slowly. So after we entered the mansion and messed around a bit. The changeling went back towards the entrace and shifted into Ned. CUE Ned walking back in, seeing himself in a place he belives is infested by spirits. He fall unconscious and part of the part comes back. The part than CAN NOT understand thief's cant. He tells us in thief's cant that he is on of us. I don't believe him and my monk hits him with her fist for a bit of damage and he eventually convinces us that he is infact the party member that was with us and we learn that he is a changeling. We then proceed to leave Ned unconcious on the floor and go investigate a trapdoor, causing a spectral voice to boom and terrify Ned. And now we never are going to mention to Ned that the other party member is a changeling and he is going to continue to torment Ned. Why? Because were all pirates and it's a hilarious joke. 

Random D&D thing, I’m working on making twinborns in D&D 5e, so I’ve been play testing a steel-gold combination… thoughts from anyone on how other metals can be implemented ?

Feel free to use this in y’all’s campaigns btw as I finish other metals, I’d love to know how this ends up causing chaos in other campaigns!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DnpqnLG0d0mQ0A-aRYi4RL5s7gQUQHJWoiL2tO_SWuA/edit

Edited by Cash67

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 2:47 PM, Cash67 said:

Random D&D thing, I’m working on making twinborns in D&D 5e, so I’ve been play testing a steel-gold combination… thoughts from anyone on how other metals can be implemented ?

Feel free to use this in y’all’s campaigns btw as I finish other metals, I’d love to know how this ends up causing chaos in other campaigns!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DnpqnLG0d0mQ0A-aRYi4RL5s7gQUQHJWoiL2tO_SWuA/edit

Ooh fun, I did a Mistborn and Feruchemist class years and years ago, didn't get to all the metals for either but feel free to take a look for inspiration if you'd like.

Mistborn: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyteFG3Rf

Feruchemist: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/rkKhlEaAf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I(a Lawful evil DM) was asked to run a campaign for a group, (and for context my table is 6-7 players who use 6d6 drop lowest for stats, so these guys can tank a lot) and so I came up with a particularly evil encounter that I thought I'd run by you to see if any of you had any experience with similar encounters, or had tips I could use.

So the encounter takes place inside a kobold fortress, in a five foot wide hallway, the entire floor has been covered in ball bearings and caltrops, along both walls is a series of arrow loops, providing 3/4 cover, behind which kobold archers will shoot out at the party, while also always remaining within 5 feet of them to keep pack tactics in effect. Ten feet bove them is two murder holes from which two more kobolds will drop down rocks, vials of acid, and alchemist fire. At the end of the hallway is a kobold in plate, with a shield and spear, with the polearm master and sentinel feats.

Any tips, or rules I might have missed?

Edited by Frustration

35 minutes ago, Frustration said:

So, I(a Lawful evil DM) was asked to run a campaign for a group, (and for context my table is 6-7 players who use 6d6 drop lowest for stats, so these guys can tank a lot) and so I came up with a particularly evil encounter that I thought I'd run by you to see if any of you had any experience with similar encounters, or had tips I could use.

So the encounter takes place inside a kobold fortress, in a five foot wide hallway, the entire floor has been covered in ball berings and caltrops, along both walls is a series of arrow loops, providing 3/4 cover, behind which kobold archers will shoot out at the party, while also always remaining within 5 feet of them to keep pack teactics in effect. Ten feet bove them is two murder holes from which two more kobolds will drop down rocks, vials of acid, and alchemist fire. At the end of the hallway is a kobold in plate, with a shield and spear, with the polearm master and sentinel feats.

Any tips, or rules I might have missed?

LORD RULER YOU MADMAN

If your characters stats are really that high… then they might actually have a challenge this go around. I LOVE this encounter as a DM and hate is as a player, so you have achieved perfection.

My only suggestion is maybe have a team rocket style pit trap just to be more evil?

11 minutes ago, Cash67 said:

LORD RULER YOU MADMAN

When I told one of my friends(who is not playing) about this their response was "You're an evil genius, emphisis on both words"

If your characters stats are really that high… then they might actually have a challenge this go around.

That's the hope.

I LOVE this encounter as a DM and hate is as a player, so you have achieved perfection.

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

My only suggestion is maybe have a team rocket style pit trap just to be more evil?

That might be intresting, I'd have to draw up a floorplan of the fortress to see if that would make sense to add, but that could be fun.

Edited by Frustration

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

When I told one of my friends(who is not playing) about this their response was "You're an evil genius, emphisis on both words"

That's the hope.

Thank you, that means a lot to me.

That might be intresting, I'd have to draw up a floorplan of the fortress to see if that would make sense to add, but that could be fun.

STORMS YOU MADMAN WHAT IN DAMNATION ARE YOU DOING TO THESE PEOPLE

...Add an area hazard (like poison gas) so that the players have to make saves every round.

1 minute ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

STORMS YOU MADMAN WHAT IN DAMNATION ARE YOU DOING TO THESE PEOPLE

Horrible things.

2 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

...Add an area hazard (like poison gas) so that the players have to make saves every round.

Oh, that sounds awesome.

If you'd really like to be evil add a Kobold warlock with either repelling blast or grasp of Hadar (The latter if you want them to pop up from behind the party once they're in the hallway) to push/pull one of them 10 feet every round.

One of my personal favourite Kobold traps is an oil slick that's difficult terrain and a save against falling prone each round, then pair that with some well timed Alchemists fire once all the party are in it and covered with grease.

8 hours ago, Voidus said:

If you'd really like to be evil add a Kobold warlock with either repelling blast or grasp of Hadar (The latter if you want them to pop up from behind the party once they're in the hallway) to push/pull one of them 10 feet every round.

One of my personal favourite Kobold traps is an oil slick that's difficult terrain and a save against falling prone each round, then pair that with some well timed Alchemists fire once all the party are in it and covered with grease.

Oh that's devious.

I'm definitely preparing that, thank you.

What's the deal with slimes? They're the enemy that gives us the most trouble with any party. Tonight we lost two level 5 characters to a couple of level 2 slimes.

Any time one appears we're bracing ourselves because we know someone is gonna be swallowed by it and fail every single save to get out. 

True final boss material right there.