12 minutes ago, Just_a_Fan said:

TTRPGs are just playing pretend for adults, but w/ rules so you don't have that one kid who just becomes Goku and curbstomps everyone.

Except it happens anyway.

*glares at power gamers*

1 hour ago, Just_a_Fan said:

could anyone help me with writing the... uh... actual playable plot of my campaign? tldr; mix world of Pokemon w/ paw patrol. @The Bookwyrm

That's a mash of two worlds.... what's the environment like (hazards, resources etc.)? Who is activley causing trouble? What are the needs of the people/creatures?

oh you're gonna have fun

15 minutes ago, Just_a_Fan said:

"Claw the knight of the mystic forest is trapped by an evil queen. help his dragon friend Sparks save him."

a nice twist of the "dragon-princess-knight" tale, and also the starting plot.

also this is lvl 12 btw.

@Cash67 @The Bookwyrm

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of our GMs likes to joke about casting fireball where it hits the whole party. You've also probably seen the memes about casting it in small rooms, and so on. 

Today one of the players actually did it. He cast fireball on a single weak enemy in a small room, we all failed the save. One of the players fell unconscious and the one who cast it died from it. He was later revived by divine shenanigans but it was still funny in the moment. It was very stupid and very fun.

In a one-shot I'm making, there is a group of "eeveelutions" that are actually some sort of evil entity in disguise, ex. a Vaporeon that's actually a siren.

They all die painful and horrible deaths, because apparently I unconsciously predicted these characters from an NSFW comic. Thus the "all die horrible deaths" part. Because if this tale MUST have a moral, it will be an anvillicious "naughtyness bad". 

The only two characters that aren't named after one of the 7 deadly sins, well, one gets her heart pulled out of her chest and force fed to her, the other is Burrito's evil twin. Yes, party has to beat the crem out of him for plot reasons. 

Other notable deaths include: being chainsaw'd by a sleepwalking demon slayer, or being eaten alive by an aborrent abomination of Eevee and eeveelution corpses stitched together into a reanimated suicune. ("I call him 'gorecune'" -cheery NPC that made said abomination)

Sorry, mods, for this post.

Edited by Just_a_Fan

• 2 weeks later...

I just posted an SU about a capture the flag game RP inside DnD, and if any of y’all’s would be interested, that’s be great.

(Also do any of you know about The Kraken’s Corner on Dndbeyond? Because that’s where I got this idea. All hail king Dragonslayer.)

3 hours ago, The Stormfather said:

(Also do any of you know about The Kraken’s Corner on Dndbeyond? Because that’s where I got this idea. All hail king Dragonslayer.)

I don't use D&D Beyond, so no. A lot of my third party resources are either Kobold Press, from the DM's Guild, or are homebrew designed by myself or one of my players.

I made a possible one-shot, or a campaign idea, where the party is thrown into a gladiator arena by some bored deities, and are forced to fight dragons from across the multiverse. 

these range from obscure dnd dragons, (purple dragons, anyone?) dragons from video games, dragons from movies, and even book!toothless.

6 hours ago, The Stormfather said:

Would you be willing to play dnd capture the flag as an RP?

yes but how would it work?

1 hour ago, Just_a_Fan said:

I made a possible one-shot, or a campaign idea, where the party is thrown into a gladiator arena by some bored deities, and are forced to fight dragons from across the multiverse. 

these range from obscure dnd dragons, (purple dragons, anyone?) dragons from video games, dragons from movies, and even book!toothless.

that sounds intresting.

34 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

yes but how would it work?

that sounds intresting.

It would be a large arena with two teams, and probably level 3 characters. There would be some NPC’s in the arena and some monsters, and if you can grab the flag and bring it back to your team’s base you’d win.

(I’d make a rule system but my cousins are visiting rn so I need to get off my phone.)

another idea: your run of the mill fantasy-creature-school-based campaign, but the party is a group of investigators trying to find who committed arson at a packed ball. the red herring is some cute fire doggo, but it's actually the electric bird. you end up beating up zap-bird for trying to forcefully marry the fire doggo.

or in other words, my tdpmd&d short-shot, but the dm does not want to get smitten by copyright.

Edited by Just_a_Fan

6 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

Hey! I just joined my first DnD campaign as an illusionist wizard. I've got some friends I'm playing with, but I was wondering what advice y'all have. Like, what spells should I get?

What level are you? What other classes are in your party? 
Definitely recommend phantasmal force, it’s extremely useful. You’ll want a basic damage dealing spell, like burning hands, and a damage cantrip or two are always useful; I like ray of frost and fire bolt. Minor illusion is a good cantrip for an illusionist. Disguise self is useful, especially if you have high ish charisma and/or proficiency in deception. Hypnotic pattern is rather high level, assuming you start a first, but it can shut down an entire encounter. A defensive spell like blur, mage armor, or mirror image will likely be useful in combat. This list is under the assumption that your goal as an illusionist is to illusion to solve most of your problems. If your party is more combat focused, you’ll want more combat spells. 

• 3 weeks later...

Tfw your friend is a werewolf and starts attacking you, so you try to get her to 0 hp just to neutralize her, but you score the single best hit in the campaign so far, a double critical doing the equivalent of 5 hits, and kill her. I feel bad.

Why can't I get hits like this against enemies? I've spent the whole campaign missing shots.

Hey, I'm pretty new to dnd but I just started playing a strixhaven campaign with my friends and wanted to get some new dice! Anyone have any suggestions for cool dice places? Preferably budget friendly

47 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Hey, I'm pretty new to dnd but I just started playing a strixhaven campaign with my friends and wanted to get some new dice! Anyone have any suggestions for cool dice places? Preferably budget friendly

Chessex sells a pound of dice (which is 80-100 assorted dice), for about 30 bucks. In addition to the assortment it always includes one complete seven-piece* set of dice, just in case. They also have normal dice sets for $12.

Crooked Tavern has a LOT of super cool, seven-piece sets for around ten dollars.

Dice Envy also has a ton of really cool dice sets, but theirs come in tens, so they are just a touch more expensive than Crooked Tavern. And because of the way their website is set up, you have to be careful that you're ordering a whole set, and not just one dice.

Your local B&N as well as table-top shops will also have a bunch of different dice sets, so browse around there as well.

*a standard dice set will almost never be less than seven pieces: a d4, a d6, a d8, a d10, a percentile dice, a d12, and a d20.

What class and race are you playing?

Edited by The cheeseman

5 hours ago, The cheeseman said:

[helpful awesome stuff]

What class and race are you playing?

Thanks so much!

For this one I'm a Wood-elf Druid (so original i know :P) and we're level one so I haven't picked my circle yet.

For the other campaign I'm playing simultaneously with the same group (Different DM) I'm a white Dragonborn ranger and its in a homebrew setting :)

Edited by Cinnamon
spelling

11 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Thanks so much!

You're welcome!

For this one I'm a Wood-elf Druid (so original i know :P)

Unoriginality doesn't mean it's bad. And there's a reason combos like that and "drow rogue," "human fighter," and "hill dwarf barbarian," exist. They work well.

we're level one so I haven't picked my circle yet.

Which are you considering, if any?

I just joined a new campaign, and I am both excited and terrified. My character is a warlock whose patron is the god of lies. I can't be too specific, because I'm pretty sure that people in my party are on here, and it would kind of be really bad if they knew, but it's gonna be an adventure. We have mostly spellcasters, and very little healing (only a druid, my aasimar race trait "healing hands" and a paladin). It will be an adventure. a friend and I made our character sheets together with the full purpose of just surviving. If we get caught in an ambush, we'll probably just wipe :P 

Edited by Immortal Platypus