Huio's Oath

Treamayne

I searched, but did not see this covered anywhere on the forum, Coppermind or Arcanum. After rereading Dawnshard this weekend, I have an idea on what Huio's third oath was:

Spoiler

Dawshard Ch 18:

Lopen waved for him to go, to run for it with the sailors. But he stayed firm. Stupid chull-brain—he stepped squarely between the monster and Lopen. As it reared to swing, Huio looked right at Lopen, then turned toward the oncoming spear-leg and set himself.

“Huio!” Lopen cried.

His cousin exploded with light. A blast of something frigid washed over Lopen, and he found himself disturbing a large frost pattern on the ground in the shape of a glyph.

Epilogue:

“Doesn’t have to mean what you think,” Huio said. “You heard Teft tell us about his oath. For him, it meant coming to realize he couldn’t keep hating himself.”

“Was it the same for you, then?” Lopen asked, slowly pulling the oars. One stroke after another. When Huio didn’t respond, he continued more softly, “It’s okay, Huio. I can hear it. I need to.”

I don’t hate you, Lopen,” Huio said. “Who could hate you? It would take a special kind of bitter soul.”

“That statement, like the Lopen himself, sounds like it comes with a quite spectacular butt attached.”

Huio smiled, then leaned forward. He was so often solemn, Lopen’s older-cousin. Built like a boulder and kind of resembling one, with that balding head. Everyone misunderstood Huio. Maybe even the Lopen himself.

“I don’t hate you,” Huio said. “But you can be a pain, younger-cousin. Me, Punio, Fleeta, even Mama Lond. The way you joke can sometimes hurt us.”

"I will protect even those that hurt me/others, so long as it is right."

My first inclination was "me" but "others" seems to make more sense in the context of an oath. Ideas, comments, BGCs? 

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

My first inclination was "me" but "others" seems to make more sense in the context of an oath. Ideas, comments, BGCs? 

I think "hurt me" works just fine. Kaladin swears to "protect even those I hate, so long as it's right".

The third Ideal seems to be a very personal oath, so I think it's fitting that it's sworn for oneself.

35 minutes ago, ShardlessVessel said:

I think "hurt me" works just fine. Kaladin swears to "protect even those I hate, so long as it's right".

The third Ideal seems to be a very personal oath, so I think it's fitting that it's sworn for oneself.

Yeah, I was waffling a bit mostly because of this line:

Spoiler

“But you can be a pain, younger-cousin. Me, Punio, Fleeta, even Mama Lond. The way you joke can sometimes hurt us.”

I think you are on the right track, in general the third oath of the windrunners is them learning to set aside their own biases and protect everyone equally. It is seen as a kind of moral elevation as they are no longer simply selfishly trying to protect others that they themselves care for, but rather learning to acknowledge the duty to protect everyone that they agreed to. 

• 2 years later...

Similar thoughts here. I read Huios looking at Lopen and his insistence that he doesn't hate him as a sign of deep annoyance mixed with the hurt. Especially since Lopen is a younger cousin, I can imagine that Huio harbored a lot of thoughts in the direction of "The Lopen needs to get a wake-up slap. He can't keep walking around an dact like this, he's gonna have to learn a lesson some day." you know? Lopen hurts him sometimes, and he was kind of hoping for some consequences for Lopen. In that moment though, he managed to realize that this kind of ill will came from the annoyance and the hurt, not from a genuine desire to see the Lopen get hurt in return. He still wants to protect him. I doubt the ideal was "I will protect even those that are annoying" but definitely something like "I will protect even those that hurt others" or something.