surge of regrowth vs gold healing

Phlipz1

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm uncertain whether you can use a Surge to undo its own effects. Adhesion and Abrasion are separate surges, for example, and they have opposite effects.

The surge of Progression encourages (re)growth. I'm not sure that it can be used to stall (re)growth, or even whether there is another surge that could do that. Perhaps that's within the capabilities of voidbinding?

I’m pretty sure that while regrowth and stormlight healing are physical as well as spiritual healing, F gold is purely physical, seeing as someone who is hemalurgically spiked can use gold. This introduces an interesting paradox seeing as someone hemalurgically spiked could use stormlight, therefore pushing out the spike and killing themselves. With regrowth and stormlight healing it’s about how you see your self. For example, Rysn legs didn’t heal because she saw herself as disabled, but Lopen still saw himself with a right arm. 
hope this answers your question.

For how gold would stall or limit regrowth, I’m not sure

5 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

F gold is purely physical, seeing as someone who is hemalurgically spiked can use gold.

No, it's the same as Stormlight healing. It heals both the body and the spirit.

Spoiler

Questioner

If a Shardblade was put through Wayne's eye, would he able to use his ability to heal the wound?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, he should be able to heal that.

Oathbringer Leeds signing (Dec. 1, 2017)

Spoiler

Kurkistan

Could Miles heal back his Allomancy if it was spiked out of him?

Brandon Sanderson

No, he could not. He would no longer be an Allomancer. Also, he'd probably be dead. :)

Kurkistan

Thanks!

I'd thought maybe he could just do some super-tapping from his existing Health in his goldminds (since he'd still have his Feruchemy)...

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, I see what you're asking. Using Feruchemy to heal the removed portion of soul. That's actually plausible, not so different from healing other kinds of soul-wounds. If he survived, then yes, this actually might work. (That's why I get for reading the questions so quickly.)

Goodreads: Ask the Author Q&A (Aug. 13, 2014)

7 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

This introduces an interesting paradox seeing as someone hemalurgically spiked could use stormlight, therefore pushing out the spike and killing themselves.

This will never happen because the spike is now spiritually a part of their body with its charged Hemalurgically hot wired into your soul. A Hemalurgic spike changes their spirit web, which changes their body to accommodate the spike and this makes it a part of their Ideal self (as long as you have that spike).

10 minutes ago, Cerulean said:

With regrowth and stormlight healing it’s about how you see your self.

Most, if not all forms of Cosmere healing work in the same way.

Spoiler

Questioner

Wayne's ability to heal himself, obviously doesn't mimic his natural ability because he can regrow fingers. So if he lost a limb, could he regrow the--just heal it roughly until he stored up enough Health and then regrow the limb at a later time? Does it have to be an instantaneous--

Brandon Sanderson

No, he could totally get that back.

Questioner

And if say somebody was born with an extra finger, could they cut that off, heal that up and have a whole fingers-worth of Health saved?

Brandon Sanderson

It depends on how they view themselves. Healing in the cosmere is based on replacing-- returning you to the state you view as your natural state... Almost every cosmere magic is going to work that way, unless-- There’s certain ones that-- Yeah almost everyone is going to work that way.

Shadows of Self London UK signing (Oct. 19, 2015)

Please, check out dates of last posts and when the topic was made before responding to it. This thread is dead for more than 2 years now, there is no need to revive it -necro-posting is theoretically against the site's policy - link. Other threats you're responding to are months old and already have a sufficient answer provided by others - personally I find it pointless to answer to any topics in the Cosmere Q&A section of the forum that are a month old (especially if a good answer is already provided), unless there is a discussion still ongoing. 

Sorry, I wasn’t aware that reviving old posts are against the rules, tbh, I’m just looking for interesting topics to share my ideas on. Sorry about the confusion with gold healing, for some reason I thought that having a spike in you would tear of a piece of you spiritweb, but I guess it’s just pinning another soul onto yours. I’m really sorry I’m just new and still learning the rules of the forums so please forgive me.