The KOTLC Club

Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Keeper of the Lost Cities?

5 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

KEEPHIE YEAHHHHHH.

Hey guys, hi.

I have mixed feelings on the books.

ooooo spill the tea

11 minutes ago, Kajsa said:

ooh do share

10 minutes ago, Part Of The Narrative said:

yesss do tell

6 minutes ago, J. Magi said:

ooooo spill the tea

Okay, so it's been a hot minute since I've read any of the books (I have read up to Stellarlune, don't worry), but just... the plot annoys me sometimes. If feels very repetitive throughout the books, and I think there are lots of unnecessary plot points (e.g. most recently keefe running away only to come back without much conflict or convincing from his friends).

That being said, I'm totally there for anything having to do with Keefe and Sophie. The little relationship they have is so cute to read. 😋

Fitz... honestly I didn't like him for a long time. He got a little better towards the end... I still don't like him much though.

Dex is fun...

Tam's a cool character...

Linh is chill...

The Mr. Forkle(s) thing was weird. :ph34r:

And can I just say that GISELA SUCKS.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh and Calla. 🥲

Ye.

Edited by Through The Living Glass
I hate typos ugh

12 minutes ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Okay, so it's been a hot minute since I've read any of the books (I have read up to Stellarlune, don't worry), but just... the plot annoys me sometimes. If feels very repetitive throughout the books, and I think there are lots of unnecessary plot points (e.g. most recently keefe running away only to come back without much conflict or convincing from his friends).

That being said, I'm totally there for anything having to do with Keefe and Sophie. The little relationship they have is so cute to read. 😋

Fitz... honestly I didn't like him for a long time. He got a little better towards the end... I still don't like him much though.

Dex is fun...

Tam's a cool character...

Linh is chill...

The Mr. Forkle(s) thing was weird. :ph34r:

And can I just say that GISELA SUCKS.

That's all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Oh and Calla. 🥲

Ye.

I agree about the plot, and I do wish we had more conflict when Keefe came back

I think that one of the reasons that most people agree it goes downhill after Neverseen is that it feels like everything that was hinted in the first book has been resolved and now Shannon is just adding more things. It feels like every time the plot got boring she decided to make Keefe run away. The books just have less plot, more pages now. 

Often they make a big deal about something and then never talk about it again. Like saving Prentice and in Nightfall they make a big deal about Lady Gisela's Archetype and then it didn't matter when it got burned.

12 hours ago, YarnSpren said:

Often they make a big deal about something and then never talk about it again. Like saving Prentice and in Nightfall they make a big deal about Lady Gisela's Archetype and then it didn't matter when it got burned.

Yes! I was so mad about that!

12 hours ago, YarnSpren said:

I think that one of the reasons that most people agree it goes downhill after Neverseen is that it feels like everything that was hinted in the first book has been resolved and now Shannon is just adding more things. It feels like every time the plot got boring she decided to make Keefe run away. The books just have less plot, more pages now. 

This is exactly one of my biggest problems with the books😭

Lodestar is the best book in the series. Here is why: it killed mr Forkle, it helped to wipe clean the slate, it introduced what, at the time, looked like good and interesting plot elements, it showed us cool world building, it introduced more of the never seen, it had the characters start to mature. The only flaws are that Keefe came back too soon. Nightfall is flawed because it tried to keep the tone form the rest of the series, it brought Forkle back, it reduced a lot of things to a joke and it focused on things we don't care about.

As for the rest of the series, the books after Lodestar could've been far more condensed. Take books 6, 7, 8, 8.5 and 9, condense them down into two books. Remove team valiant. Make Keefe not return until it's been a whole two or so books. Make him go down a darker path. Make Fitz less of an a-hole and more in line with his character in the rest of the series,. Give Glimmer an earlier introduction. Give Sophie far more autonomy. Show genuine casualties, INCLUDING KILLING OFF ALDEN. Have the Black Swan be more proactive and genuinely doing things to make Sophie question them, thus making Glimer a bigger part of the story whenever she's introduced. Have the Black Swan seize control of the government in the name of doing the best for the elves against the Neverseen. Kill Vespera as fast as possible and have her place taken by Gisela. Show Gisela going more off the rails and actually be a scary villain with some sort of backstory. Show more members of the never seen so that they actually seem like a threat instead of a poor joke. 

The keeper series went into a more teenage romance drama puke territory instead of the more balanced half blood prince approach. Also, we needed to have the whole guilt thing to be either heavily tweaked or just removed entirely. 

Also, Sophie needs to, at some point, just burn down both the black swan and the never seen, starting her own group at the end of the series called...

The Keepers of the Lost Cities. *theme music plays*

2 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Lodestar is the best book in the series. Here is why: it killed mr Forkle, it helped to wipe clean the slate, it introduced what, at the time, looked like good and interesting plot elements, it showed us cool world building, it introduced more of the never seen, it had the characters start to mature. The only flaws are that Keefe came back too soon. Nightfall is flawed because it tried to keep the tone form the rest of the series, it brought Forkle back, it reduced a lot of things to a joke and it focused on things we don't care about.

As for the rest of the series, the books after Lodestar could've been far more condensed. Take books 6, 7, 8, 8.5 and 9, condense them down into two books. Remove team valiant. Make Keefe not return until it's been a whole two or so books. Make him go down a darker path. Make Fitz less of an a-hole and more in line with his character in the rest of the series,. Give Glimmer an earlier introduction. Give Sophie far more autonomy. Show genuine casualties, INCLUDING KILLING OFF ALDEN. Have the Black Swan be more proactive and genuinely doing things to make Sophie question them, thus making Glimer a bigger part of the story whenever she's introduced. Have the Black Swan seize control of the government in the name of doing the best for the elves against the Neverseen. Kill Vespera as fast as possible and have her place taken by Gisela. Show Gisela going more off the rails and actually be a scary villain with some sort of backstory. Show more members of the never seen so that they actually seem like a threat instead of a poor joke. 

The keeper series went into a more teenage romance drama puke territory instead of the more balanced half blood prince approach. Also, we needed to have the whole guilt thing to be either heavily tweaked or just removed entirely. 

Also, Sophie needs to, at some point, just burn down both the black swan and the never seen, starting her own group at the end of the series called...

The Keepers of the Lost Cities. *theme music plays*

Beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2022 at 7:08 PM, FlowerGirl said:

Forkle specifically says that he only based Sophie's DNA off the alicorns and didn't actually use alicorn DNA. Personally I think it's Elwin 

agreed

• 2 weeks later...