That makes sense. We know it's a mechanic that shards are capable of (Ruin can send messages and Preservation can listen. Odium can form a sort of mental VR world to hold direct conversations in peoples minds)... we've even seen Dalinar speak in Kaladin's mind during a highstorm. I don't see why some magic system wouldn't allow for a form of telepathy.

53 minutes ago, Lunu’anaki said:

That makes sense. We know it's a mechanic that shards are capable of (Ruin can send messages and Preservation can listen. Odium can form a sort of mental VR world to hold direct conversations in peoples minds)... we've even seen Dalinar speak in Kaladin's mind during a highstorm. I don't see why some magic system wouldn't allow for a form of telepathy.

Well, Nahel bonds form a direct telepathy between spren and humans, so that was the basis of my thought.

In Shadows of Self, Bleeder/Paalm finds a way to telepathically talk to Wax, which I think is at least implied to be Hemalurgy based using Wax's Hemalurgic earring and maybe Paalm's weird kandra spike?

Connection is likely relevant here too though... maybe that would only work with Wax, not anyone else with a Pathian Hemalurgic earring?

So something of the sort is definitely possible, but it might also require a "crack in the soul" of some sort in addition to Connection magic.

2 minutes ago, cometaryorbit said:

In Shadows of Self, Bleeder/Paalm finds a way to telepathically talk to Wax, which I think is at least implied to be Hemalurgy based using Wax's Hemalurgic earring and maybe Paalm's weird kandra spike?

Connection is likely relevant here too though... maybe that would only work with Wax, not anyone else with a Pathian Hemalurgic earring?

So something of the sort is definitely possible, but it might also require a "crack in the soul" of some sort in addition to Connection magic.

yes, I agree. More specifically, I wonder if medallion-tech can achieve telepathy?

6 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

yes, I agree. More specifically, I wonder if medallion-tech can achieve telepathy?

I would think that you'd probably need earring-style Hemalurgy for opening the soul-crack plus medallion-tech for the Connection, but who knows.

It's not clear to me how Paalm got the ability to "send" thoughts, even if Wax could receive through the earring soul-crack - she had only one power at a time, so it wasn't Duralumin Feruchemy.

I don't think the Connection she had with him as Lessie is enough, or other Pathians would get telepathy from those closest to them (and Wax clearly considers this something totally unknown).

I would think that you'd probably need earring-style Hemalurgy for opening the soul-crack plus medallion-tech for the Connection, but who knows.

It's not clear to me how Paalm got the ability to "send" thoughts, even if Wax could receive through the earring soul-crack - she had only one power at a time, so it wasn't Duralumin Feruchemy.

I don't think the Connection she had with him as Lessie is enough, or other Pathians would get telepathy from those closest to them (and Wax clearly considers this something totally unknown).

This may be true. However, Hemalurgy is not the only connection-manipulating magic. It is possible that even with a Hemalurgic spike, harmony would not be able to communicate with those not from Scandrial.

I really think this would be an interesting thing to explore, especially if you can store specific types of connection.

18 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

This may be true. However, Hemalurgy is not the only connection-manipulating magic.

Yeah, with regards to the medallion tech I was talking about working with Scadrian magic systems, sorry. A Bondsmith would probably make this way easier!

It's definitely a very interesting topic. Paalm's example shows that there is something possible, but it's very unexplored.

Yeah, with regards to the medallion tech I was talking about working with Scadrian magic systems, sorry. A Bondsmith would probably make this way easier!

It's definitely a very interesting topic. Paalm's example shows that there is something possible, but it's very unexplored.

awaken a hat with the command "transmit thoughts" maybe?

This theory makes perfect sense to me, simply because we see it so often. Spren with their Radiants, Ruin with those who have been Hemalurgically spiked, other Shards with other people they are Connected to in some way. There are some other instances that I'm forgetting, I'm sure. So, I think we can assume that telepathy becomes possible with Connection.

What I really wonder about is if a large amount of artificial Connection, created through means of Feruchemical Duralumin or Bondsmith powers, would facilitate telepathy. If you were to tap a bunch of Duralumin at once, would the Connection that it gives you to other people let you speak to them telepathically? Likewise, could a Bondsmith use their powers to facilitate telepathy?

We see in Oathbringer that Dalinar uses Bondsmithing (is that the correct term?) to forge a Connection to someone from another country to speak their language, even though he never learned it. I think it's also implied that F-Duralumin would let you speak a foreign language. Is this a kind of telepathy, or something different?

I think using Medallion technology could do interesting things with Connection when using Duralumin, but I don't know how you'd use it to allow telepathy.

On a side note, how would you make it so that the F-Duralumin focuses specifically on a single person? I understood that using F-Duralumin Connected you to everyone around you, so if you did use it to allow telepathy, wouldn't you have a telepathic connection to everyone around you?

15 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

This theory makes perfect sense to me, simply because we see it so often. Spren with their Radiants, Ruin with those who have been Hemalurgically spiked, other Shards with other people they are Connected to in some way. There are some other instances that I'm forgetting, I'm sure. So, I think we can assume that telepathy becomes possible with Connection.

What I really wonder about is if a large amount of artificial Connection, created through means of Feruchemical Duralumin or Bondsmith powers, would facilitate telepathy. If you were to tap a bunch of Duralumin at once, would the Connection that it gives you to other people let you speak to them telepathically? Likewise, could a Bondsmith use their powers to facilitate telepathy?

We see in Oathbringer that Dalinar uses Bondsmithing (is that the correct term?) to forge a Connection to someone from another country to speak their language, even though he never learned it. I think it's also implied that F-Duralumin would let you speak a foreign language. Is this a kind of telepathy, or something different?

I think using Medallion technology could do interesting things with Connection when using Duralumin, but I don't know how you'd use it to allow telepathy.

On a side note, how would you make it so that the F-Duralumin focuses specifically on a single person? I understood that using F-Duralumin Connected you to everyone around you, so if you did use it to allow telepathy, wouldn't you have a telepathic connection to everyone around you?

From what I know, you are correct, but maybe you can store different connections w/ F-Duralumin like storing different senses?

5 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

maybe you can store different connections w/ F-Duralumin like storing different senses?

I didn't think about this. We haven't really seen anyone using F-Duralumin in the books commonly (unless I'm completely forgetting something, in which case I am, please tell me), so we can't really be sure how all the mechanics work. I think there's a good chance there might be a way to use F-Duralumin like this.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

5 minutes ago, The Bookwyrm said:

I didn't think about this. We haven't really seen anyone using F-Duralumin in the books commonly (unless I'm completely forgetting something, in which case I am, please tell me), so we can't really be sure how all the mechanics work. I think there's a good chance there might be a way to use F-Duralumin like this.

We see people drawing on blank connection in BoM, which functions like Dalinar's Bondsmith language stuff. Don't see anything else, far as I can remember.

10 hours ago, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Or is he...

Now proceeds to waste my time theorizing how Wayne could secretly be a worldhopper.

Of course he is a worldhopper, he has hats, he has met hoid, and he can add 2 and 2 to get a pickle. Lift is also a worldhopper, but for different reasons

On 5/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Or is he...

Questioner

Wayne from the Wax and Wayne, worldhopper? 

Brandon Sanderson

Wayne is not a worldhopper.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

(I know you were probably just being a bit facetious, I just find it funny that there's an explicit answer to this lol)

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2022 at 0:28 PM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

awaken a hat with the command "transmit thoughts" maybe?

Lol :) Unfortunately, regular Awakening probably wouldn't allow such a thing.

Questioner

(Disclaimers so that you can't say, like, "well if a Shard...") If a regular Awakener, just a mundane Awakener with nothing more than a few hundred Breaths and not any other outside influences, is there some Command they could give a blanket to get the blanket to turn warm? Generate heat; is that a normal thing you can Command?

Brandon Sanderson

Not in just a normal situation. I mean, technically, you could tell the blanket "start rubbing one part against another part" or something like that, or "set yourself on fire," right? But that's not what you're asking. For Awakening to work, you have to work within the intrinsic properties of the matter you're making, except it can move around a bit and with a few little other things it can do.

It's not outside the realm of possibility you could activate those Breaths as Investiture to do something else, but you would need more than just the simple magic system of Awakening. 

On 5/3/2022 at 7:12 PM, Ta'veren Kaladin said:

Good luck keeping said hat from Wayne

But if one could somehow hack together multiple magic systems, convince Harmony that it must be made, or use a Dawnshard to make it, Wayne would totally be innately drawn to it by his Fortune (because Wayne and magic hat = awesome), and would use it to be himself 800% more effective :) 

Forgot to mention, Syl and Kaladin are now able to telepathically communicate, at least a little bit, due to their Connection.

Plus the Bleeder and Wax scene you already mentioned.

So yeah, strong enough Connection or Connection plus Hemalurgic spike(s) would allow for a form of telepathy.

It could also be neat if all of Bridge Four got Hemalurgic earrings and Unsealed Duraluminminds to form a hive-mind, but their Spren likely wouldn't allow for such a thing, even if they had the resources.