Shardplate spren

We know as of rhythm of War that shardplate is made of spren. it is probably safe to assume that each radiant order's shardplate is made of a different lesser spren. We know Windrunners have windspren, but what do you think the other orders' armor is made of? I personally think Jasnah's armor is made of Logicspren

This has come up a few times before. Logicspren are confirmed for the Elsecallers and Creationspren for the Lightweavers. Brandon has said that while we can't figure it out for all the Orders yet, he's made a few of them pretty obvious and it's the sort of thing we should be able to eventually work out on our own with the hints he's given or will give us.

We see Gloryspren swarm around Dalinar when he's being especially awesome so that could be the Bondsmith one, but who knows there? We know Bondsmiths don't have Blades but we don't know if they don't generally get Plate as well, and we don't know if one bonded to the Sibling or Nightwatcher necessarily would attract the same sort of spren as one bonded to the Stormfather.

Thematically, Flamespren would make sense for the Dustbringers, Lifespren for Edgedancers (or Hungerspren for Lift... :D) and based on some similarities to Highspren I'm thinking that Starspren are the ones who make Skybreaker Plate.

Edited by Weltall

Cool, thanks. It would make sense that Bondsmiths still have plate, but each one might have a different spren type b/c of the oddities of Bondsmiths. your theories make sense, and I can't see what else they might be, except Dustbringers might be decayspren. It would be cool to see more about starspren.

On 5/21/2022 at 2:39 PM, Weltall said:

based on some similarities to Highspren I'm thinking that Starspren are the ones who make Skybreaker Plate.

I both love this idea and am extremely skeptical of it.

I love it because imagine if they could call a Starspren over in Shadesmar for transportation without needing Stormlight for gravitation, or to ration it if there's a big group travelling with them. Badass. :D

I'm skeptical because of how effective it would be, and how rare Starspren supposedly are. How the storms are you gonna gather enough to make Plate out of?? :o

13 minutes ago, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

Do we know what windspren or logicspren or creationspren look like in the CR?

Windspren don't tend to be in the CR all that much, but if Kaladin's almost-swearing in OB is anything to go by, they show up like ribbons of light. No idea about logicspren in the CR, but maybe similar to the mistspren only with a storm cloud (like how they appear in the PR). Creationspren are small swirly color-shifting patterns that imply faces with the movements.

1 minute ago, Invocation said:

Windspren don't tend to be in the CR all that much, but if Kaladin's almost-swearing in OB is anything to go by, they show up like ribbons of light. No idea about logicspren in the CR, but maybe similar to the mistspren only with a storm cloud (like how they appear in the PR). Creationspren are small swirly color-shifting patterns that imply faces with the movements.

ah. thank you!

3 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I'm skeptical because of how effective it would be, and how rare Starspren supposedly are. How the storms are you gonna gather enough to make Plate out of??

Maybe the Skybreakers have been hogging them all for the past few thousand years and that's why they're so rare. Selfish chulls...

Okay, that's actually a good point and one I don't have a real answer for.

Just now, Weltall said:

Maybe the Skybreakers have been hogging them all for the past few thousand years and that's why they're so rare. Selfish chulls...

Okay, that's actually a good point and one I don't have a real answer for.

You can still have my upvote for that one, it's a funny thought. :P

I was going to edit my post but you responded first so I did have one thought, which is that they could be regionally rare in the same way that concentrationspren are supposed to be uncommon in Alethkar.and Shallan mentions never having seen logicspren in WoK but they appear common in Azir. Since we know the latter are one of the types that make Plate, perhaps relative rarity isn't necessarily a problem?

Edited by Weltall

On 5/21/2022 at 10:30 AM, EmulatonStromenkiin said:

We know as of rhythm of War that shardplate is made of spren. it is probably safe to assume that each radiant order's shardplate is made of a different lesser spren. We know Windrunners have windspren, but what do you think the other orders' armor is made of? I personally think Jasnah's armor is made of Logicspren

I wish I had shardplate made of wine spren 

I think Dalinar's swirling gloryspren is meant to imply they're going to be his Shardplate spren, yeah.

Skybreakers might have gravitationspren?

Flamespren or decayspren would both fit the Dustbringers, but flamespren might be more likely since their Radiant spren type are called ashspren.

@Weltall is probably right about lifespren for Edgedancers- their Radiant spren is cultivationspren.

No idea about Truthwatchers, Willshapers, or Stonewards.

I agree with the idea of Logicspren for Elsecallers,  Flamespren for Dustbringers and Lifespren for Edgedancers. Here are some tenuous guesses for the others:

Skybreaker plate = Coldspren. I wouldn't be surprised if Highspren are related to them (just as windspren are related to honorspren), since Szeth first saw his spren as a snowflake-like thing IIRC, and it would make sense given their view of cold, impartial justice. It would also form a nice contrast with dustbringers (whose division surge manifests more as pyromancy, whereas the skybreakers may be more of the ice-shattering variety).

Truthwatcher plate = Anticipationspren or Awespren. I like the latter, since I'm of the opinion that the lesser plate spren literally metamorphose into the corresponding highspren when they are imbued with enough investiture (+ intent?), and I don't see how the streamer-tongue frogs could become mistspren. Edit: replaced Concentrationspren with Awespren, since their form is more mist-like.

Bondsmith plate = Bindspren. Gloryspren do appear around Dalinar, but I think Bindspren are more likely -- they're attracted to Kaladin's "full lashings" -- i.e., the surge he shares with Bondsmiths -- and Bondsmiths are all about binding things together.

Willshaper plate = Gloryspren, maybe? Their sentiment certainly aligns with discovery/liberty, and color/shape-wise I could see them being related to Reachers. Laughterspren are also metallic like Reachers, though they're the wrong color.

Stoneward plate = Concentrationspren (or perhaps Groundspren, provided those aren't just gravityspren by another name). Stonewards can make solids flow like liquids, so the Concentrationspren ripple shape might make sense.

Edited by Olmund

Windspren are linked to Adhesion, both by making things stick together and since it is the Surge of atmospheric pressure.

Creationspren seem to tie to Illumination and maybe a bit of Transformation.

Flamespren or rotspren could be related to Division, lifespren to Progression, gravitationspren to Gravitation.

Is there a travel spren for Transportation (Willshapers perhaps)? A stone spren for Cohesion and/or Tension (Stonewards)?