BEST books you ever read

Elf

Apart from Cosmere? Well, the list includes (but is not restricted to)

-Realm of the Elderlings by Robin Hobb (all the series). 

-Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

-Discworld by Terry Pratchett (that's what my profile pic is referencing, btw)

-Dune and Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert (I like the two combined more than any of them separately, if that makes sense.)

-Earthsea by Ursula Le Guin, which I feel obligated to fourth or fifth, I lost track

-Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (the sequels are good too, but not on the same level)

-Broken Earth Trilogy by NK Jemisin

-Bicentennial Man by Isaac Asimov

And I'm going to end with an obscure book I don't think anyone ever heard about here: Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien.

Obviously everything by Brandon (except the Skyward novels sorry I just cannot get in to them past the first book). I am also the rare exception that likes the Mistborn books the best. 

In no particular order:

Hyperion- A Sci-Fi version of The Canterbury Tales

Dune- Classic Space Opera at its best

Ready Player One- I really liked the premise of this book and being a young kid in the 80 it is very nostalgic 

The Name of the Wind- Loved the first book and hopefully one day will get to read the third

Licanius Trilogy- Fantastic epic fantasy very reminiscent to WoT  Author is a big fan of Brandon

The Martin- This one is mostly sentimental it was the last book my dad and I read before he passed away

The Richest Man in Babylon- Financial advice book that should be required reading in High School

The Magicians Trilogy- Not really sure why I like these so much but I do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Aight. I'm bored so Imma throw down a list. This is definitely not all, I have a small brain.

Candy Shop Wars - Brandon Mull

Fablehaven/Dragonwatch - Brandon Mull

The Underland Chronicles - Suzanne Collins

Beyonders - Brandon Mull

Ranger's Apprentice - John Flanagan

Mistborn and Way of Kings - yep

Five Kingdoms - Brandon Mull

Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (Maybe I'm weird, maybe I'm not)

Guardians of Ga'hoole - Kathryn Lasky

Michael Vey - Richard Evans

The Bromeliad Trilogy - Terry Pratchett

How to Train your Dragon - Cressida Cowell (I still have yet to finish the series.) and yes, this is the book the movie is based off of. It's not better nor worse than the movie, it's just different and I love it.

I was looking through the past lists of favorite books and have to say The Work and the Glory series is like Way of Kings, though not fantasy. It's freaking long, but I loved it so much.

I'm not going to comprise a whole list right now because that'll take too long. But here are a couple. I'll put more on this thread later, maybe.

The Ender Saga, by Orson Scott Card. (And the Shadow Saga, I suppose, but I enjoyed that less.)

The First Binding, by R. R. Virdi. Recently published, recently read by me. Check it out; it was very good.

Uh....That's all I have, right now. Most of my favorites have already been listed by other people.

In fact, I should peruse this thread for book suggestions...I need a new book to read.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

1 hour ago, Gregorio said:

How to Train your Dragon - Cressida Cowell (I still have yet to finish the series.) and yes, this is the book the movie is based off of. It's not better nor worse than the movie, it's just different and I love it.

Yes! It is incredible is it not!

If you're into Sci-Fi, I'd recommend the Scythe series. There were a few things that didn't make a ton of sense, but overall, it was really good. Also, should I add the Raven Cycle to my list? People here do seem to talk about it a lot.

9 minutes ago, Sequence said:

If you're into Sci-Fi, I'd recommend the Scythe series. There were a few things that didn't make a ton of sense, but overall, it was really good. Also, should I add the Raven Cycle to my list? People here do seem to talk about it a lot.

YES. YES to BOTH. RAVEN CYCLE IS SO GOOD and SCYTHE IS ALSO SOO GOOD

19 hours ago, Gregorio said:

I don't remember if the first one is good, I just remember the rest are so bad. Like, so bad.

9 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I don't remember if the first one is good, I just remember the rest are so bad. Like, so bad.

You talking about the movies or the books? The books definitely aren't for everyone but I love them. I liked the movies too though. Personal preference I guess.

Just now, Gregorio said:

You talking about the movies or the books? The books definitely aren't for everyone but I love them. I liked the movies too though. Personal preference I guess.

The movies are amazing, way better than the books imo. The books are... many things.

4 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

The movies are amazing, way better than the books imo. The books are... many things.

Ok, yes. I understand that. I can respect it as well. I still like the books, they're just so different from the movies. It's basically a different story from the movies. They definitely changed a lot from book to movie. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright I am SHOCKED no one has mentioned The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. It is so well written and hits the same beats that I love about Sanderson. Long story short, it’s about gay necromancers learning the secrets of immortality in an ancient mansion in space. It is insanely good, with amazing everything. 

apart from that, I really liked Neil Gaiman’s works in general, especially American Gods. 

and I’m with others in this thread, Name of The Wind is fantastic.

I have a new one! The Unwind Dystology by Neal Schusterman (author of Scythe) is utterly incredible. I'm halfway through book 3 of 5, and can't put it down! The characters, plot, and worldbuilding are incredible. The premise is a bit out there, but it's sci-fi dystopian, so it doesn't have to make too much sense :P

Edited by Ookla the Theoretical
clarification

15 hours ago, Koloss17 said:

Alright I am SHOCKED no one has mentioned The Locked Tomb series by Tamsyn Muir. It is so well written and hits the same beats that I love about Sanderson. Long story short, it’s about gay necromancers learning the secrets of immortality in an ancient mansion in space. It is insanely good, with amazing everything. 

pretty sure that one was suggested to me by one f my friends, but I haven't been in the right mood to try to pick it up

Anathem by Neal Stephenson is one that hasn't yet been mentioned here.  If you've not yet read anything by Stephenson this probably isn't the best place to start.  (I personally started with Snow Crash.)  But Anathem explores so many ideas (along with plot and characters I enjoyed, of course) that I still remember it fondly nearly ten years after reading it.

Come to think of it, I have similarly fond memories of One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez, though I found that one harder going.

• 5 months later...

The Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams. A truly great fantasy series with excellent prose, great world building and one of the most satisfying  endings in epic fantasy. 

Malazan Book of the Fallen. Complete in 10 books, this is without a doubt (in my mind at least) the best work of epic fanrasy ever written. It is darker and deals with more adult themes than Sanderson's work, but nothing can beat it for sheer scope and philosophical depth. It features Sanderson like Avalanches at the end of each book, but the necessity of these epic confrontations is explained in world by the idea of Convergence, power attracts power. And then Kaboom. 

Cixin Liu's The Rembramce of Earth's Past Trilogy (The 3 body problem, The Dark Forest and Death's End). The most ambitious and original Science Fiction Series I have ever read. The first nbook takes a bit of work to get into, but it's well worth the effort. Liu has some of the most original ideas in Science Fiction, and he writes hard science fiction, so sometimes the fiction part of the fantastical is only a matter of scale of application. If you are looking for a more approachable work, you could check out his short story collection The Wandering Earth, all the short stories are good (with some of them being among the very best of short form science fiction)  and all the stories are linked (sometimes profoundly, sometimes only superficially). 

Since everyone on here has been talking about the Name of the Wind, it got me thinking about one of my all time favorite books, The Name of the Rose by Umberto Ecco. It's a medieval mystery that takes place in a Benedictine monestary. Like Malazan, it deals with adult themes, but the writing is so unbelievably good, the historical accuracy is spot on, the atmosphere it evokes is truly creepy at times, and the themes that it wrestles with are profound. 

Best books? Hmm off the top of my head and in no order…

Malazan 1-10

Dark Tower 4, IT 

Dune 1-6

Sho Gun

Fitz Farseer 1-6 was not over the moon at 7-9

Masters of Rome 1-5

Lord of the Rings 1-3

Broken Earth 1-3

The 1st Law 1-6, I’ve not read the newest books cause my book store sucks.

Blood Meridian 

Caine’s Law 1-4

Codex Alera 1-6

Briar King 1-3 the last book sucks…

Now WoT is in no way on my list but it should be read by every fantasy fan cause the series itself is great.

Same with Dresden Files.

Can we talk about Dune please?

Holy cow that book's a masterpiece. I won't call it my favorite, but it is definitely worth ranting about, and since I only finished it a little while ago it's the book I can remember right now. 10/10

5 more to go so get to it. I can’t recommend to get any of his sons and KJAs books other than Dune 7&8. It’s the only ones I’ve ever gotten and only read once… can’t say if I would reread when a Dune rererereread rolls around. Stay away from their other Dune books!

3 hours ago, Bondsmith-Edgedancer said:

Can we talk about Dune please?

Holy cow that book's a masterpiece. I won't call it my favorite, but it is definitely worth ranting about, and since I only finished it a little while ago it's the book I can remember right now. 10/10

sometimes "classics" just don't really hold up, but Dune is one that absolutely does.