Cognitive shadows and birth defects

When a person get stapled or returned or whatever back to the physical do they bring with them any defects that they may have had in life?   Would it be different depending on methods of coming back?  

If you were born blind and were returned would the divine breath heal your blindness or would you remain blind as a returned?  

If divine breath would restore that, would it work the same if the person received the divine breath via hemalurgy?  

What healing can be offered in the cosmere to fix something like a person being born blind and where does it draw the line?   

Could stormlight or feruchemical gold heal conjoined twins who share vital organs?  If they were to be returned would they share a breath?  

I suppose it would depend on the origin of the injury, and the nature of how they returned. If they remember their history then their preception will play a role, but if not then:

If someone had a genetic disease, then it would likely be spiritual in nature and would remain, but if it was just a physical injury then it would probably heal.

2 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I suppose it would depend on the origin of the injury, and the nature of how they returned. If they remember their history then their preception will play a role, but if not then:

If someone had a genetic disease, then it would likely be spiritual in nature and would remain, but if it was just a physical injury then it would probably heal.

I would say that a Returned's physical characteristics are more influenced by their cognitive self. They are able to straight-up shapeshift, if in a rather limited way. I doubt genetic diseases will continue to affect them.

Just now, Nameless said:

I would say that a Returned's physical characteristics are more influenced by their cognitive self. They are able to straight-up shapeshift, if in a rather limited way. I doubt genetic diseases will continue to affect them.

Well returned also autoheal at all times, they are the odd ones out in that reguard.

Just now, Frustration said:

Well returned also autoheal at all times, they are the odd ones out in that reguard.

I wouldn't say that returned autoheal at all times. They are immune to poison, but they do die if they're stabbed.

37 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I am curious about the auto healing.   

We only see a few examples of returned being hurt.  In one of those the returned got straight murdered... not a 1 shot kill I might add as there is plenty of time to react to a throat being slit to use things like stormlight or Feruchemical gold if it is available.  

Where you think returned healing sets between slightly faster than normal with Allomantic pewter to a non-surgebinder with an honorblade to a spren bonded surge binder at say 3rd or 4th ideal all the way up to gold compounding?   

I also believe that returned have a way to heal.  Perhaps if it were Vasher who got sliced up he could have imagined himself whole before taking the 6 foot dirt nap.   But then why wouldn't Arsteel have done the same thing?  (Perhaps he was unable to focus due to the surge or breaths?)   

14 hours ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

Could stormlight or feruchemical gold heal conjoined twins who share vital organs?  If they were to be returned would they share a breath? 

There's a WoB for that:

Spoiler

DrogaKrolow

We have this one bizarre question, that actually was really, really weird but we have to know it.

There was a question about Siamese twins. If they were born gold Feruchemists, and they they were split apart, would they like, form together again?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhhnn... It depends on how they view themselves

DrogaKrolow

That's the answer to every question like that!

Brandon Sanderson

Right! But that's the whole point of the cosmere is that-- Spiritual Realm is filtered through the Cognitive Realm to the Physical Realm, right? And this lens is going to filter how things work. Perception is really important in the cosmere. That's where most of these things come from, and so-- Yeah that is the answer to everything. But that's the point of the answer to everything, is that there aren't a lot of hard and fast rules when it comes to a lot of these things, with Identity and whatnot is going be filtered through perception.

DrogaKrolow

So it is technically possible for them, if they are seeing each other as one.

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

DrogaKrolow

So we can--

Brandon Sanderson

Now the big hard question is, what if one of them views them as one and one of them doesn't?

DrogaKrolow

Oh.

Brandon Sanderson

Aaaaoooohhh! Then it depends on who's using the magic.

DrogaKrolow

What if both of them are?

Brandon Sanderson

Both of them what? Are gold? If both of them are healing and one doesn't want to and one does, magic's gonna cancel each other out and nothing will happen.

DrogaKrolow

Ok.

Brandon Sanderson

Mmhmm. Yeah I made your question harder and weirder.

Edited by Treamayne

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

There's a WoB for that:

Reveal hidden contents

DrogaKrolow

We have this one bizarre question, that actually was really, really weird but we have to know it.

There was a question about Siamese twins. If they were born gold Feruchemists, and they they were split apart, would they like, form together again?

Brandon Sanderson

Uhhhnn... It depends on how they view themselves

DrogaKrolow

That's the answer to every question like that!

Brandon Sanderson

Right! But that's the whole point of the cosmere is that-- Spiritual Realm is filtered through the Cognitive Realm to the Physical Realm, right? And this lens is going to filter how things work. Perception is really important in the cosmere. That's where most of these things come from, and so-- Yeah that is the answer to everything. But that's the point of the answer to everything, is that there aren't a lot of hard and fast rules when it comes to a lot of these things, with Identity and whatnot is going be filtered through perception.

DrogaKrolow

So it is technically possible for them, if they are seeing each other as one.

Brandon Sanderson

Right.

DrogaKrolow

So we can--

Brandon Sanderson

Now the big hard question is, what if one of them views them as one and one of them doesn't?

DrogaKrolow

Oh.

Brandon Sanderson

Aaaaoooohhh! Then it depends on who's using the magic.

DrogaKrolow

What if both of them are?

Brandon Sanderson

Both of them what? Are gold? If both of them are healing and one doesn't want to and one does, magic's gonna cancel each other out and nothing will happen.

DrogaKrolow

Ok.

Brandon Sanderson

Mmhmm. Yeah I made your question harder and weirder.

Awesome thanks.  

This still leads me to wonder how F aluminum works.  If it is tied to a spiritual identity and you had this view of yourself being one way or another it should work just as well as F gold for healing no?   The investiture just fills the gaps to create what it is that you see yourself as no?  

6 minutes ago, Tamriel Wolfsbaine said:

The investiture just fills the gaps to create what it is that you see yourself as no? 

While not impossible, I don't think that Identity would heal physical wounds, but is probably able to "heal" mental trauma (probably not mental illness that is genetic, as that would be part of the identity). Here's the reference in the coppermind (with WoB link):

Spoiler

Trueselfs can heal damage done to them in the Cognitive Realm by storing Identity, but it takes a roundabout method.[17]

Returning involves direct intervention by a Shard, so it can probably heal things that normal Cosmere healing can't- if Endowment wanted to.

Harmony fixed various lifelong problems, old injuries, etc. when he restored the world, so I think "external" healing by a Shard doesn't have the same Cognitive-view-of-yourself limits.