The Students Guild

Elf

I don't know if this exists on the shard (sorry mods, if it does) 

This is a guild for students! My hope is that we can find study tips and inspiration in each other to study properly and get the result we want. 

You can do things like write the reason why you want to study hard and get good marks, write a to-do list (and if people are willing, you can also have someone check wheather or not you completed what you wanted to complete! I read somewhere that accountability helps with studying) 

You also, of course, makes memes and jokes about studies here cause we all need a little relief. 

I'll start off. I've been bouncing around a lot about what stream i want, what profession i want, and what i want to do with life. But I've finally decided on a path. I want to go to the Middlebury College in Vermont, America for my degree and major in Classical Studies. I want to get a doctorate in the Classics and eventually become a professor. If not the classics, then in English literature. I can figure that part out when I get there. But there are some places in the world that feel very "me" and Vermont is one of them and i want to get there very, very badly. And so I will study and get a good result :)

Edited by Elf

That's so cool, Elf! You can do it! There's nothing like the Classics- I find them breathtaking and full of life.

Personally, this year I'm taking two math/science courses independently because I want to learn new things and to be able to accomplish the goals I've set for myself. Eventually my plan is to double major in computational mathematics and computer science in college (which is coming up decently soon :ph34r:). I've learned that for me, the more I push myself, the farther I can go and the more the possibilities open up to me.

Anyway, here're some school memes

Spoiler

929b61fe1bdea06fca0742b1268374db.jpg

35955d959257c322cb7125c34936dc1f.jpg

44ecef4e54ac7ae872729dd849304a5f.jpg

4ba2369e5676cbeccce86173dd0aa8a0.jpg

9274e2b04feaecda5a26a437863bce38.jpg

a06f572ea576dbd71830ccd419058c19.jpg

Current plan is after going on an LDS mission, I got to Utah for a gap year, and then attend an SLCC program for my Associate's in Atmospheric Science/Meteorology, which transfers to University of Utah where I can get my Bachelor's in Atmospheric Science/Meteorology.

Anyways yeah school is lame.

but yuh.

27 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

I also plan on submitting my papers next year and going on a mission when I can.

Yeah me too :D! Imagine if we're mission companions or in the same mission lol

28 minutes ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Except something to do with computers and coding. Possibly something in the field of biotechnology.

That's sick! Biotech is really interesting to me so if you do decide to go in that direction, keep me posted!

I have not been a college student for a while. That said I'm a student of the world these days and have picked up some tricks. (Some of that comes from my professional experience working for a college.) If I'm welcome every now and then I may have nuggets of wisdom to share.

29 minutes ago, Nathrangking said:

I have not been a college student for a while. That said I'm a student of the world these days and have picked up some tricks. (Some of that comes from my professional experience working for a college.) If I'm welcome every now and then I may have nuggets of wisdom to share.

Of course you're welcome! 

21 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Lofi is my best friend.

Mine too, bro

Study tips 

1. Have a bottle of water and a snack within easy reach  

2. Put your phone on silent 

3. Take frequent breaks (personally I'm quite fond of the pomodro method) 

4. Get some fresh air every once in a while 

5. Remember that you are awesome and I am so proud of you and you can most definitely do this. You are trying and that is what matters! 

Also another tip which has helped me vastly 

Anytime you feel yourself getting distracted during studying and reaching for your phone to idk search up something or go on some app, write in down. And once you're done search to your hearts content 

Edited by Elf

On 22/08/2022 at 11:26 PM, Elf said:

I'll start off. I've been bouncing around a lot about what stream i want, what profession i want, and what i want to do with life. But I've finally decided on a path. I want to go to the Middlebury College in Vermont, America for my degree and major in Classical Studies. I want to get a doctorate in the Classics and eventually become a professor. If not the classics, then in English literature. I can figure that part out when I get there. But there are some places in the world that feel very "me" and Vermont is one of them and i want to get there very, very badly. And so I will study and get a good result :)

*applauds* that's a great plan! Good luck in achieving it. (I'm curious, what is it about Vermont that attracts you?)

I've got two paths open to me right now. I can take AS levels, complete an International Foundation Year, and go to university in the UK, or I can get a GED, take the SAT, and go to college in the US. There are other countries, but y'know, THEY DON'T MATTER. (Joking. Australia and New Zealand are too hot, and Canada's too cold. Yes, these are the conditions on which I'm deciding my future :lol:)

For my bachelor's I'm leaning toward journalism, but there's still three years to go - I'm sure I'll discover better-paying options in that time :P.

Edited by Robin Sedai

5 minutes ago, Robin Sedai said:

*applauds* that's a great plan! Good luck in achieving it. (I'm curious, what is it about Vermont that attracts you?)

I've got two paths open to me right now. I can get AS levels, complete an International Foundation Year, and go to university in the UK, or I can get a GED, take the SAT, and go to college in the US. There are other countries, but y'know, THEY DON'T MATTER. (Joking. Australia and New Zealand are too hot, and Canada's too cold. Yes, these are the conditions on which I'm deciding my future :lol:)

For my bachelor's I'm leaning toward journalism, but there's still three years to go - I'm sure I'll discover better-paying options in that time.

that's an awesome plan too! Though i have no idea was AS levels or a GED is 

About Vermont...well it was the setting of my favorite book so i searched up more about it. And well, frankly it's a very picturesque place, it looks like a very dark academic place and it looks like a snowy, cold place (I've never seen snow. I so badly want to see snow) and it feels like the kind of place where i belong, you know? I don't know to explain this but like all my life I've felt like a jigsaw puzzle that was just a little too different to fit in any picture but when i look at Vermont, at Middlebury College, at the classical studies course? I feel like I've finally found my picture.  

In The Secret History (the book i was talking about) the narrator says that his fatal flaw was a morbid longing for the picturesque at all costs, and I relate to that so, so badly

I don't know if this made sense haha 

Edited by Elf

On 23/08/2022 at 11:14 PM, Elf said:

About Vermont...well it was the setting of my favorite book so i searched up more about it. And well, frankly it's a very picturesque place, it looks like a very dark academic place and it looks like a snowy, cold place (I've never seen snow. I so badly want to see snow) and it feels like the kind of place where i belong, you know? I don't know to explain this but like all my life I've felt like a jigsaw puzzle that was just a little too different to fit in any picture but when i look at Vermont, at Middlebury College, at the classical studies course? I feel like I've finally found my picture.  

In The Secret History (the book i was talking about) the narrator says that his fatal flaw was a morbid longing for the picturesque at all costs, and I relate to that so, so badly

I don't know if this made sense haha 

I think it makes sense, and it sounds lovely.

Edited by Robin Sedai

• 3 months later...