Conquer the World... With AI

2 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Please do! I'll probably end up swapping one of the NPCs with you.

Go for it! As for the High Council members, go ahead and give me a prompt to give the AI.

Prompt: 

The High Council of Eshael Navar has five seats, held mostly by wealthy merchants with a skill for politics, who got their position by bribery and convincing the unbribleable among the Low Council. In recent years, prosperous pirate lords with money and threats to go around have found their way to the High Council as well.

I'm not sure what the ending should be for the AI to understand what to do, enter whatever should go there.

Zanatis worldbuilding:

Spoiler

Zanatis is a collection of tribes that act as one nation ruled by a High Chieftain (often confused as a "king" by foreigners) when dealing with other countries. These tribes are as various in belief, culture, and rulership as the other countries are from each other, allies only by happenstance. Their greatest resource is the gigantic lumber yards they run, supplying themselves and other nations with wood. 

Edited by The Unknown Novel

Astrym Calendar: 1049 A.A.

World Calendar: 0001 H.Y.

The Guiding Council of Astrym, chosen by the Judges, has heard the united declarations of the countries of the world at the Festival of the Gods. Each wants to secure themselves as absolute rulers of The World.

While some in Astrym find it prudent to do so as well, others are not so sure. For the first few years, we have decided that we need to sit back and watch what other countries do before we make our move. We have our own goals, and the actions of others will help us determine the best course of action. We will sit, observe, and learn.

My action (Input the bold into the AI):

As the countries of The World begin to start their conquests, the Republic of Astrym decides to sit back and observe. Using their scientists and knowledge, they decide to wait and try to develop new technology. They wait to make any major moves until the other countries act, and push their scientists to find new technology that will aid them in the coming centuries.

You can tweak that if you need to, and put the italics in the AI if it would help. I'll let the AI decide what technology I get.

Basically, my action is to spend my current resource to try and develop another one.

Edited by The Bookwyrm

@The Bookwyrm

The Republic of Astrym decides to sit back and observe. Using their scientists and knowledge, they decide to wait and try to develop new technology. They believe that as long as the other kingdoms are fighting each other, there will be little chance of them being attacked. In the meantime, they develop a new technology: the steam engine.

3 hours ago, CalanoCorvus said:

I'm using NovelAI. You get a few free actions to use with it before you have to buy a subscription

Edited by Channelknight Fadran

3 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

@The Bookwyrm

The Republic of Astrym decides to sit back and observe. Using their scientists and knowledge, they decide to wait and try to develop new technology. They believe that as long as the other kingdoms are fighting each other, there will be little chance of them being attacked. In the meantime, they develop a new technology: the steam engine.

I guess we're in a steampunk fantasy now! Bookwyrm now has another resource: Steam Power.

@Nameless, you're up!

Here's my prompt:

The kingdom of Nam-Ed is preparing for total conquest, but currently lacks the resources to supply their armies with food for an extended conquest. To remedy this, Lord Sell dispatches a team of ambassadors to the neighboring country of Serenitas to negotiate the terms of a mass purchase of livestock.

Edited by Nameless

Alright, so I've stumbled upon a small problem.

The AI keeps trying to switch to other peoples' perspectives immediately. I imagine this is a result of there being a ton of kingdoms for it to keep track of. Regardless of what that means, we're faced with a couple problems:

• We don't get all the crazy chaos! Everything's succinct and moves on smoothly. Where's the fun in that?
  • It keeps trying to make decisions for other players, which is... an issue.

So there are a few solutions:

1. Keep going as is and hope it gets crazier down the line
  2. Allow the bot to make those decisions in order to have more stuff happen per turn
  3. Delete the exposition dump so that it stops trying to jump between kingdoms all the time.

I'm currently looking at that last one. Other thoughts?

What counts as the exposition dump? Just the NPCs, or all of the player kingdom descriptions too? Cause I don't think the bot should make decisions for the player kingdoms, really, but I also want it to know about all of them. I guess the problem is that both can't be true :P.

I'd rather we all get to make decisions, but it seems like after everyone's done a turn the bot will know about all the kingdoms anyway and this problem will still exist.

I wouldn't mind a hard reset where all the AI knows is the names of our nations and it worldbuilds for us.

It'd be too bad to scrap the countries we all created but we could maybe make another RP that's more free-form for those. I think if the AI has only its own continuity it might be more successful and I think it'd be kind of fun to see what it gives me.

9 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Alright, so I've stumbled upon a small problem.

The AI keeps trying to switch to other peoples' perspectives immediately. I imagine this is a result of there being a ton of kingdoms for it to keep track of. Regardless of what that means, we're faced with a couple problems:

• We don't get all the crazy chaos! Everything's succinct and moves on smoothly. Where's the fun in that?
  • It keeps trying to make decisions for other players, which is... an issue.

So there are a few solutions:

1. Keep going as is and hope it gets crazier down the line
  2. Allow the bot to make those decisions in order to have more stuff happen per turn
  3. Delete the exposition dump so that it stops trying to jump between kingdoms all the time.

I'm currently looking at that last one. Other thoughts?

Here is what I would vote for:

I don´t want to scrap the countries. I propose that we only let the AI know about whatever country is active. That way, it won´t start doing perspective-swap antics.

3 minutes ago, NerdyAarakocra said:

I don´t want to scrap the countries. I propose that we only let the AI know about whatever country is active. That way, it won´t start doing perspective-swap antics.

The problem that Fadran has presented is that the AI knows that the other countries exist, so it will continue to mess with them. I think.

To clarify:

Your own worldbuilding would be completely unaffected. It's up to us, the players, to fill in the gaps for the specifics of what happens. The AI would be giving us the outcomes of our actions, but we'd be the ones deciding what that looked like in-world.

Sounds good to me!

Edited by Sequence

Just now, NerdyAarakocra said:

That's not really how it works-- It essentially is a novel writer, so if we want this to be chronological it has to know what's already happened. And even then it's only sort of consistent, which is why letting it do its thing as much as possible is helpful. And that's less painful for us if we aren't trying to force worldbuilding on it :P

Like I said, we can make another RP where we do a similar turn-based thing with our countries, just without the AI. I like Dalrya and it would be sad to lose it, but this way we get the best AI experience (probably) and get to keep our countries.

But if people want to trudge forward and see what happens, I think that'll be entertaining in its own way :ph34r: I think, like Fadran is getting at, we don't have to take the AI's word as law. If it makes up magic that doesn't exist to cause a landslide, we can make a landslide happen in our own way.

So I did the thing where the AI is unaware of our worldbuilding.

And it's incredible.

Our story begins in the Holy Year of 0001, marked by a grand festival held in the gods' favor. It was on this day that all the nations of the world each decided on one grand purpose: to become the ruler of all the world!
The Republic of Astrym decides to sit back and observe. Using their scientists and knowledge, they decide to wait and try to develop new technology. They believe that as long as the other kingdoms are fighting each other, there will be little chance of them being attacked. In the meantime, they develop a new science:
the Artifice. By using this, they can make weapons and armaments that aren't made from metal. These weapons are so powerful that they rival those made from the old metals, but much more compact. They also use a newly-developed alloy called Adamantium. This alloy is stronger than any metal known to man, and it's used to create armor.

@The Bookwyrm has acquired a new resource: Adamantium armor.

The kingdom of Nam-Ed is preparing for total conquest, but currently lacks the resources to supply their armies with food for an extended conquest. To remedy this, Lord Sell dispatches a team of ambassadors to the neighboring country of Serenitas to negotiate the terms of a mass purchase of livestock. While the negotiations go well at first, the Nam-Ed ambassador fails to mention that he has two bodyguards accompanying him. The Serenite envoy is unaware that his host has a secret weapon hidden under his cloak.
When the time comes for the final contract signing, both sides agree to meet in the Nam-Ed embassy garden. However, when the Nam-Ed guards open the gate to allow the Serenites through, they find three men waiting inside. One of the men is brandishing a sword while the other two have crossbows cocked. The trio immediately opens fire, killing the envoy and both bodyguards before the guards can react. The assassins then proceed to the Nam-Ed ambassador's quarters where they fatally stab the nobleman and steal his valuables.
Nam-Ed sends out an immediate response party to track down the murderers. When they arrive at the scene of the crime they find the corpses of the Nam-Ed envoy and his two bodyguards, all shot dead in various places around the garden.

@Nameless and @Sequence, both of your ambassadors are now dead!

Edited by Channelknight Fadran