Oldest Child Club

Ranryu

23 minutes ago, Cone Slice said:

Sorry to necropost (sort of), but I've been wondering what portion of the shard is the oldest child in their family (or if they have no siblings). Also, I want to know how many people identify as introverts, extroverts, or ambiverts and how birth order could relate to their personality. Should I create a thread for that?

Hi, I'm definitely an introvert, and also the oldest. I personally think there isn't really any correlation between personality and birth order, but it might be interesting to look more in to that.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Unknowing said:

Hi, I'm definitely an introvert, and also the oldest. I personally think there isn't really any correlation between personality and birth order, but it might be interesting to look more in to that.

I don't really think that there is because your personality seems to be more dependent on how you were raised. It's a nature vs. nuture question, and I think it might have some of nature but definitely in my life, I've seen a greater impact from nuture instead of nature on this one.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

I don't really think that there is because your personality seems to be more dependent on how you were raised. It's a nature vs. nuture question, and I think it might have some of nature but definitely in my life, I've seen a greater impact from nuture instead of nature on this one.

Thank you, and I agree, though I do think it is somewhat part of my natural disposition to be shy.

4 hours ago, Cone Slice said:

Sorry to necropost (sort of), but I've been wondering what portion of the shard is the oldest child in their family (or if they have no siblings). Also, I want to know how many people identify as introverts, extroverts, or ambiverts and how birth order could relate to their personality. Should I create a thread for that?

Yeah, I think so. I'm the oldest and am a introvert.

On 12/7/2022 at 8:20 AM, Ookla the Unknowing said:

I did a bit of digging and there really isn't much of a correlation. But it would be interesting to see what percentage of the shard is an only, oldest, middle, or youngest child.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2022 at 9:53 PM, Ranryu said:

How often do your younger siblings fight?

Mine scream at each other quite often.

ALL. THE. STORMING. TIME. 

It’s gotten better recently, but during the pandemic it was CONSTANT. 

I know this forum hasn't been talked on, but I thought this would be worth sharing: Soooooooooooooo my brother is starting to read Stormlight for the first time, and he's only 11. I tried to warn him that it's an adult book with heavier topics and themes, and that he might want to start with those kids books Brandon Sanderson previously wrote, but he insisted on reading Stormlight. I believe it's because people at his school have this thing where you're "cool" if you read large books, but whatever this should be interesting. 

17 hours ago, Cone Slice said:

I know this forum hasn't been talked on, but I thought this would be worth sharing: Soooooooooooooo my brother is starting to read Stormlight for the first time, and he's only 11. I tried to warn him that it's an adult book with heavier topics and themes, and that he might want to start with those kids books Brandon Sanderson previously wrote, but he insisted on reading Stormlight. I believe it's because people at his school have this thing where you're "cool" if you read large books, but whatever this should be interesting. 

My sister read all of Mistborn Era 1 and she's only 11.

She's also a very mature 11 year old, in some aspects. She wants to read Stormlight, and I think she'd deal with it fine, and my parents seem to think so, too. She's read some other stuff by Brandon Sanderson; Rithmatist, Alcatraz, Skyward (just book one, I think) and I gave her Steelheart the other day.

So I guess it all depends on the 11 year old.

19 hours ago, Cone Slice said:

I read Stormlight when I was 12… but I’ve always read stuff I probably shouldn’t have and only recently realised it was aimed at adults :ph34r:

On 1/3/2023 at 1:37 PM, Shadowed said:

I read Stormlight when I was 12… but I’ve always read stuff I probably shouldn’t have and only recently realised it was aimed at adults :ph34r:

Hah. I remember reading the Reckoners as a ten year old and being mad that my parental unit wouldn't let me read SA. (snuck it a year later, though :lol:)

Now, how are your siblings on food pickiness? My sister only eats five things, and will not even consider anything else.

Edited by Ranryu

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 0:29 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

She's also a very mature 11 year old, in some aspects. She wants to read Stormlight, and I think she'd deal with it fine, and my parents seem to think so, too. She's read some other stuff by Brandon Sanderson; Rithmatist, Alcatraz, Skyward (just book one, I think) and I gave her Steelheart the other day.

Yeah... my brother isn't that mature no offense to him ofc. 

On 1/3/2023 at 0:29 PM, The Bookwyrm said:

dude i cannot even imagine letting my 11 year old sister anywhere near mistborn ;-; your sister is mature AF, good for her. but, like, be careful, because i read a lot of stuff that i was way to young for, basically my whole life (thanks dad (sarcastic)) but especially when i was 10, 11, and 12 and it definitely lead to some thoughts and behaviors that were not great. but i don't know, maybe your sister is cool with all that stuff lol. 

32 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

dude i cannot even imagine letting my 11 year old sister anywhere near mistborn ;-; your sister is mature AF, good for her. but, like, be careful, because i read a lot of stuff that i was way to young for, basically my whole life (thanks dad (sarcastic)) but especially when i was 10, 11, and 12 and it definitely lead to some thoughts and behaviors that were not great. but i don't know, maybe your sister is cool with all that stuff lol. 

LMAO same. My mother gave me Game of Thrones to read when I was very young (idk exactly how young, but not more than 12.) My father let me watch the TV show. To be fair to my mum, she had absolutely no idea what it was about, she just knew I loved reading fantasy and that ASOIAF was a really popular fantasy series.

Personally I think Mistborn is alright though, my little brother is 11 and I would have zero problems with him reading it.

Edit: and he listened to the first two Stormlight audiobooks, so I have proof of his ability to digest adult-ish themes. Honestly I'd rather he read books than what he usually does, which is playing video games all day.

Edit 2: also I really enjoyed ASOIAF but thought it was too dark (even told my mother that) which I think is a testament to younger me's good taste in books.

Edited by Robin Sedai

6 minutes ago, Robin Sedai said:

LMAO same. My mother gave me Game of Thrones to read when I was very young (idk exactly how young, but not more than 12.) My father let me watch the TV show. To be fair to my mum, she had absolutely no idea what it was about, she just knew I loved reading fantasy and knew ASOIAF was a really popular fantasy series.

Personally I think Mistborn is alright though, my little brother is 11 and I would have zero problems with him reading it.

Edit: and he listened to the first two Stormlight audiobooks, so I have proof of his ability to digest adult-ish themes. Honestly I'd rather he read books than what he usually does, which is playing video games all day.

huh all of us oldest siblings on this thread are so different lol. my sister got alcatraz and percy jackson when she was 9, series of unfortunate events and the rithmatists when she was 10, as well as a steelheart recommendation (with the warning that there's some of violence and guns and to just watch out), and now that she's 11, she's gonna get elantris and the graveyard book. when she's 12, she can read The Raven Cycle and JAne Austen (she can read that whenever but i found it very hard to understand when i was 11). when she's 13, that's when she gets mistborn, SA, Neverwhere, etc. i probably won't need to give her books after that as she'll have figured out what kind of books she likes and how to acquire them. ultimately she can do and read whatever she wants right now, and i can't stop her and my parents WON'T stop her from reading heavy topics, but i'd just rather what happened to me didn't happen to her, and so i give her good stuff to read but i wait till i think she's ready. maybe i'm being crazy overprotective but i'd just rather she reads good stuff when she'll be able to understand it well.

my brother's on his own tho lol, he's a huge jerk about any book i reccomend to him and also he stole my copy of WoK when he was 11 and wouldn't give it back and my parents wouldn't let me take it back so i'm never giving him a book rec again lmao

7 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

my brother's on his own tho lol, he's a huge jerk about any book i reccomend to him and also he stole my copy of WoK when he was 11 and wouldn't give it back and my parents wouldn't let me take it back so i'm never giving him a book rec again lmao

Ah man, I'm sorry about that. Must be hugely irritating.

13 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

huh all of us oldest siblings on this thread are so different lol. my sister got alcatraz and percy jackson when she was 9, series of unfortunate events and the rithmatists when she was 10, as well as a steelheart recommendation (with the warning that there's some of violence and guns and to just watch out), and now that she's 11, she's gonna get elantris and the graveyard book. when she's 12, she can read The Raven Cycle and JAne Austen (she can read that whenever but i found it very hard to understand when i was 11). when she's 13, that's when she gets mistborn, SA, Neverwhere, etc. i probably won't need to give her books after that as she'll have figured out what kind of books she likes and how to acquire them. ultimately she can do and read whatever she wants right now, and i can't stop her and my parents WON'T stop her from reading heavy topics, but i'd just rather what happened to me didn't happen to her, and so i give her good stuff to read but i wait till i think she's ready. maybe i'm being crazy overprotective but i'd just rather she reads good stuff when she'll be able to understand it well.

Yeah I probably read way too many books years too soon, so i'm withholding many of them from my siblings (the oldest is 12). She gets Mistborn this year but nobody else gets much of anything. 

I agree never give your brother your books :lol: Stealing books is a crime >:(

21 minutes ago, Gregorio said:

*Interrupts older siblings and laughs maniacally in middle child

*sprays with water*

Oh hey do y'all want to hear an awful and messed up but also hilarious story?

So when i was 12, my brother was at peak annoying. so  i started doing this this where i would play All Star and then squirt him with water whenever he was being annoying. and then i just had to start playing All Star for him to stop being annoying and run away. i psychologically conditioned him to respond to All Star. it was totally messed up, i know, but i was 12 and it was really really funny.

(dw i stopped doing it)