Kelsier, good, bad or both?

Adamkarma

1 hour ago, Adamkarma said:

Is Kelsier (from your point of view) the hero, the villain, or the anti-hero?

Well, Brandon summed it up nicely in this WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

At one point, you mentioned that Kelsier scared you. Could you talk a little more about why?

Brandon Sanderson

So, Kelsier is one of my favorite characters. I like them all, whoever I'm writing, right? But one of the things that makes Kelsier tick is (and this was my original pitch for him to myself) in another story, he'd be the villain. Kelsier has this hard edge to him. He's one of those people that, when channeled wrong, he becomes the best and most interesting villain. But he happened to be in a situation that pushed him the other direction, and he became a hero. But he still has that edge to him. And there is a darkness to Kelseir that doesn't exist in most of the heroes in my books. Someone like Kaladin has a darkness to him, too, but a darkness that they're fighting against. Whereas Kelsier has embraced this darkness. It is part of what makes him him. So, Kelsier is a little frightening to me as a writer, just because he's a character that I can't guarantee will make good decisions.

Aside from that, everybody (fictional or not) grows and changes over time. When you have a single book you only have a finite glimpse to say <this character> was <this role> in <this story>. Kelsier was a hero/anti-hero/Sociopathic Hero for the Era 1 trilogy.

Possible spoilers if you have not read all of the Mistborn books/novellas and short stories:

Spoiler

I am fully willing to accept that his character arc could nudge him further toward the side of hero or villain as we learn more about him after those events. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG

1 hour ago, Adamkarma said:

Is Kelsier (from your point of view) the hero, the villain, or the anti-hero?

All in all he is a hero. He toppled a bloodthirsty monster, liberated the Skaa and fought Ruin.

He just is not a humble or forgiving man. Nor does he forget whose side he is on.

2 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

All in all he is a hero. He toppled a bloodthirsty monster, liberated the Skaa and fought Ruin.

He just is not a humble or forgiving man. Nor does he forget whose side he is on.

I mean he is worshipped by two religions and revered by a third. He is not a hero, he does selfish things. Maybe he has both in him. He is Discord not Harmony.

14 hours ago, Adamkarma said:

I mean he is worshipped by two religions and revered by a third. He is not a hero, he does selfish things. Maybe he has both in him. He is Discord not Harmony.

I must reject that definition of a hero. A hero is a courageous , honorable person. You are mixing up ethics and heroism. That is senseless. You will find heroes on both sides of wars. Kelsier is not a clearly good man, obviously so, for he was a criminal. But he is a hero to his people. Yes, he is not humble by any means. But he really did the things he is venerated for.