Channelknight Fadran

5 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Quest shrugged, "I don't know Antin. I....I have no idea. This is all new to me."

'Here, I'll try and test it out." He grimaced in expectation of the pain that would be caused by the magic, concentrating on the strange force within him

He did not get what he expected.

Suddenly, he was propelled forward in an odd way, as though pushed by some force, perhaps wind magic. At same time, his figure blurred and skipped forward a few feet. After travelling only about three or four meters, he crashed hard into the ground and lay there, unmoving.

Not dead, just unconscious. The magic was too much for him this time. Also, the reason for the weird teleportation fail was not just because of power limit, but also because it's complicated and Antin need to manually channel magic instead of just using it instinctually (or at least intuitively) for the right effect like other people. So basically, that's how I'm letting the all types of magic thing happen without making him a god.

1 hour ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Yes, I swear by the trees growing on my parent's graves. I will not attack you."

"I'll hold you to that," Anikel growled. "Make one wrong move..."

1 hour ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Anikel growled. "Do you swear not to attack us?"

The Elder took their slight nods as affirmative. "There are many details about the Queen's abilities that we do not know, but we do know this; if she knows your name, she can control you. From what we understand, that is how she took over the island so quickly. All she would have needed was one name. From there, she would have learned the names of a few more, each of which would know a few more, until..." He spread his hands. "Every living person on the island was under her control." 

"Except for you?" asked Yerik.

"No. This village came several years later. She released a few people from her control, no explanation given, and allowed them to settle here. To be honest..." The Elder shrugged. "We still have no idea why she did it. Or whether or not she will ever change her mind."

"Which is why you hide your names?"

The Elder laughed bleakly. "Yes, for all the good it's done us so far."

"Every so often, she sends people down to come and take some of us away. Old, young... there's no pattern to it. Except when she's angry with us." He shuddered. "She always takes children then. We've tried everything to hide our names, but..." He sighed, wrinkles showing around his eyes. "Nothing has worked."

1 hour ago, Ookla the Crow said:

"She remembers them, doesn't she. Or is somehow watching you, always." Hyron says.

"That is a common theory, yes. Which is why it is inadvisable to ever speak your name aloud, even if no one is listening." He sighed. "But, as with many things, we do not know for certain. It may be that there is something about Naming that we do not quite grasp. Or potentially she simply tortures the names out of her victims. Few people have ever escaped from her castle, and the reports we received have hardly painted a clear picture."

Edited by Ookla the Forgotten

4 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

'Here, I'll try and test it out." He grimaced in expectation of the pain that would be caused by the magic, concentrating on the strange force within him

He did not get what he expected.

Suddenly, he was propelled forward in an odd way, as though pushed by some force, perhaps wind magic. At same time, his figure blurred and skipped forward a few feet. After travelling only about three or four meters, he crashed hard into the ground and lay there, unmoving.

Quest sighed and walked over to Antin with his healing green light.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

"That is a common theory, yes. Which is why it is inadvisable to ever speak your name aloud, even if no one is listening." He sighed. "But, as with many things, we do not know for certain. It may be that there is something about Naming that we do not quite grasp. Or potentially she simply tortures the names out of her victims. Few people have ever escaped from her castle, and the reports we received have hardly painted a clear picture."

Does the Queen know Miyako's name now that Hyron has said it? I would actually be fine with this Xino if you want it to happen, I think it would be very interesting. 

Miyako nodded, "I heard you call that lady Weaver, so nicknames are fair game?"

58 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

CRAP. Quest's healing magic shouldn't really work on Antin for the most part, unless he is powerful enough to overcome the dampening and maintain that. I can't believe I forgot that, it was supposed to be one of the main detriments of the ability. I think that the plot so far can stay as is because Antin doesn't have much regard for his own wellbeing, but that might introduce some complications.

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

1 hour ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Does the Queen know Miyako's name now that Hyron has said it? I would actually be fine with this Xino if you want it to happen, I think it would be very interesting. 

The Queen is not actually all-seeing, fortunately. :P

Though Miyako will most likely have a chance to throw down wills against the Queen at some point, if you so desire. :ph34r:

Miyako nodded, "I heard you call that lady Weaver, so nicknames are fair game?"

"Not nicknames- titles," replied the Elder. "First Elder, Weaver... even Queen. 'Nameless Island' is also a title, which is partially how we know they aren't the same thing."

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

“Not nicknames- titles," replied the Elder. "First Elder, Weaver... even Queen. 'Nameless Island' is also a title, which is partially how we know they aren't the same thing."

Miyako and spun around to Hyron and Yerik, a slight smirk on her face. Pointing she addressed each of them them, “acolyte. Viney.”

On 11/20/2022 at 0:26 AM, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Fair enough, I guess."

Kealie knelt down to skin the deer. “Lemme know if you have questions.”

1 hour ago, Tani said:

Nope. I think Nayka’s sleeping under her bed.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako and spun around to Hyron and Yerik, a slight smirk on her face. Pointing she addressed each of them them, “acolyte. Viney.”

"Viney?" Hyron said incredulously, "That's what you picked for me? Alright then, Stuck Up. Two can play at that game."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako snorted. “It has to be descriptive. And accurate. Do better Viney.”

"Oh, trust me, it's very accurate. What just happened not 2 minutes ago? And don't call me Viney," Hyron said, but couldn't help the blush creeping to their cheeks.

Dammit. They thought.

He remained unconscious. Almost imperceptibly, the green light dissipated as it touched Antin, his innate magic dampening preventing him from being healed.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

He remained unconscious. Almost imperceptibly, the green light dissipated as it touched Antin, his innate magic dampening preventing him from being healed.

Quest tried again, for over five minutes before his magic reserves were dangerously low. "Hmmm, that isn't going to work then." Flustered, he spun around, looking over the room. "Aha!" He ran over to a fresh piece of paper and began mumbling as he scribbled frantically. "I tried making runes with magic but that was too unstable, what I haven't tried is making runes and then adding magic!" Quest finished a simple script circle on his paper with easy runes. It translated to: fire, only, light.

Quest focused for a moment, drawing on his wells of life and fire magic. His life magic was to flightly for the runes, wanting to escape its constraints, to grow. However, fire magic could work. Not sustainably mind you, fire wants to burn to destroy and it would follow its intent, degrading the runes. But when set to a task the fire would function.

Finger to the page, the runes began to glow a soft warm red. The page crinkled, blackening around the edges. Quest gritted his teeth, pulling deeper on his magic. A tense moment passed, as Quest fought the raging intent of his magic. He prevalied, winning he fight he has won many times. Light flooded the rune and spread like wildfire to the rest of the circle. The runes suddenly dimmed and a ball of light burned into existence above the paper, emitting no heat, giving off only light. 

Quest fell back, shocked. "It... it actually worked. It actually worked!" Grinning, with a spark burning within his eye, Quest got to writing runes.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Crow said:

"Oh, trust me, it's very accurate. What just happened not 2 minutes ago? And don't call me Viney," Hyron said, but couldn't help the blush creeping to their cheeks.

Dammit. They thought.

Miyako laughs quietly to herself, "Viney." 

"You Elders were saying?"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Quest tried again, for over five minutes before his magic reserves were dangerously low. "Hmmm, that isn't going to work then." Flustered, he spun around, looking over the room. "Aha!" He ran over to a fresh piece of paper and began mumbling as he scribbled frantically. "I tried making runes with magic but that was too unstable, what I haven't tried is making runes and then adding magic!" Quest finished a simple script circle on his paper with easy runes. It translated to: fire, only, light.

Quest focused for a moment, drawing on his wells of life and fire magic. His life magic was to flightly for the runes, wanting to escape its constraints, to grow. However, fire magic could work. Not sustainably mind you, fire wants to burn to destroy and it would follow its intent, degrading the runes. But when set to a task the fire would function.

Finger to the page, the runes began to glow a soft warm red. The page crinkled, blackening around the edges. Quest gritted his teeth, pulling deeper on his magic. A tense moment passed, as Quest fought the raging intent of his magic. He prevalied, winning he fight he has won many times. Light flooded the rune and spread like wildfire to the rest of the circle. The runes suddenly dimmed and a ball of light burned into existence above the paper, emitting no heat, giving off only light. 

Quest fell back, shocked. "It... it actually worked. It actually worked!" Grinning, with a spark burning within his eye, Quest got to writing runes.

I have no idea what you just did, but I won't question it.

As Quest worked, Antin slowly came to. "What are you doing?" he asked tiredly. "What did I do?"

18 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako laughs quietly to herself, "Viney." 

"You Elders were saying?"

"We've given you much of the information we have," replied the First Elder. "If you have further questions, we will do our best to answer them."

@Ookla the Kobold

Edited by Ookla the Forgotten

11 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

"Yes, I swear by the trees growing on my parent's graves. I will not attack you."

9 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Quendi carefully tied up the Wanderer's hands anyways, leaving him a decent amount of slack so as not to completely discomfort him. "I hope you'll adhere to this arrangmenet for the time being. I don't believe that letting you wander our caravan free would be prudent as of now."

5 hours ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Kealie knelt down to skin the deer. “Lemme know if you have questions.”

"I doubt you have any more answers. You're not exacty the sort ot understand how magic as a whole actually works, after all." Vance knelt across from her to help. "My sister would probably be better at asking questions anyways. I'm just the guy who takes what she says and makes it work on monsters and crap."

14 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

16 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:
4 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Quendi carefully tied up the Wanderer's hands anyways, leaving him a decent amount of slack so as not to completely discomfort him. "I hope you'll adhere to this arrangmenet for the time being. I don't believe that letting you wander our caravan free would be prudent as of now."

9 hours ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Annimus holds Anikel's gaze his eyes carrying the penetrating gaze of a predator watching it's shifting prey.

"I will adhere to it. I gave my word. Though many on your caravan may hate me since my race is not viewed kindly by others."

8 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"I doubt you have any more answers. You're not exacty the sort ot understand how magic as a whole actually works, after all." Vance knelt across from her to help. "My sister would probably be better at asking questions anyways. I'm just the guy who takes what she says and makes it work on monsters and crap."

“I think that’s more awesome than knowing how it works.” Kealie sighed. “It’s SO not fair that you have magic you can use and stuff. And I’m turning runes into cats. Oh well.”

6 hours ago, The Wandering Wizard said:

Annimus holds Anikel's gaze his eyes carrying the penetrating gaze of a predator watching it's shifting prey.

"I will adhere to it. I gave my word. Though many on your caravan may hate me since my race is not viewed kindly by others."

"I'm sure we can manage."

1 hour ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“I think that’s more awesome than knowing how it works.” Kealie sighed. “It’s SO not fair that you have magic you can use and stuff. And I’m turning runes into cats. Oh well.”

"It's certainly something you can learn to control."