Channelknight Fadran

2 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Antin glanced down at the burns on his arms. "Sure. I can't fully guarantee the not dying part, though."

Quest drew in a long breath. "Let's hope you can avoid that part."

2 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Yerik blew out a breath. "Well, maybe the army is only that big," he replied hopefully. "After all, there don't seem to be many people here."

All of a sudden, the noise of a bell rang out.

Miyako dropped her handful of pebblefruit and leapt up, resting a hand on her sword. She narrowed her eyes, after all, that was a very ominous bell.

Just now, Ookla the Kobold said:

"Alright." Antin began climbing the stairs, doing his best to dampen every rune he encountered. After a considerable amount of time, he passed the fire rune safely and got to the barrier rune. "Quest, can you hear me? I can see the rune, I'm going to read it to you!"

On 11/27/2022 at 7:44 PM, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

"Seven!" Vance had been counting on his fingers. "Anyways, I have some cool ideas."

3 hours ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

Apologies for the delay; life

“Seven is cool,” Kealie conceded. “What kind of ideas?”

2 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako dropped her handful of pebblefruit and leapt up, resting a hand on her sword. She narrowed her eyes, after all, that was a very ominous bell.

Yerik sucked in a breath. "Do you think that means...?" He didn't need to finish the sentence.

4 hours ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“Seven is cool,” Kealie conceded. “What kind of ideas?”

3 hours ago, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

Vance thumbed back towards the way they came. "So you know how I was talking about all that 'never fight someone in their own domain' stuff? Lesson... two, I think?"

"Course you do. Moving on."

Vance had realized that he still had, like... eighty leading questions to go, so he decided to cut to the chase. While Kealie skinned the deer, he started scraping in the dirt with his dagger.

"So... basically..." Vance sketched out a rough circle. "Magic has range. As a rule of thumb, it's harder to control something that's farther away. This is a result of a couple principles: namely that all magical energy is harnessed through yourself and requires energy to be moved about, and that manipulating something that you aren't clearly observing is just difficult in general."

He poked a dot in the center of the circle with his finger. "Say this is me, and that circle is my range. I'm the center of my own magical influence. Makes sense, right? Though in practice it's more like a gradient." Vance sketched out a series of outer rings around the initial circle, making each one thinner and lighter than the last. "The farther it gets from me, the less the same amount of energy can manipulate."

Vance then started scribbling a series of symbols between each ring: just random squiggles, this time around. "Now, obviously, range is important for wizard warriors, so we've come up with a few ways of getting around this limitation. For example: spell symbols." He finished scribbling in the... well, scribbles. "This isn't a real one, but you get the point. You can imbue your magic into inscribed lattices like these to effectively store it for later use."

He poked another dot into the dirt a couple feet away from the scuffed 'spell circle,' drawing another circle around this as well. "Now I effectively have two centers of manipulation, which vastly increases my capabilities across a battlefield. And this principle carries over to the likes of metal enchantment and energy concrentration. For example, a concentrated beam of wind is going to have a lot more range than a spherical blast of fire. I could go on all day about various ways to set up your magic to make it work at peak efficiency, but that would... well, take all day. Basically, all this is to say that..."

Hrm. How to put this?

"...So... You know that creepy mansion back there? How I called it that witch's 'domain'? Hopefully all this sheds a bit of light on what I meant. She'd spent years imbuing her magic into the building, which meant that just about everywhere inside it acted as an effective center for her magic usage. Her energy was spent much more efficienty within the building's perimeter than ours was." Vance pointed his dagger at Kealie, then realized that maybe that wasn't the most polite way to make a point and set it back down. "All this to say that I think you can do just about the same thing with your magic."

59 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

"If you say that the bell means the queen, I'm punching you." Hyron said, struggling to comprehend the thought of Miyako fighting thirty grown men.

Stalks... why did she keep getting more and more badass??

@Ookla the Kobold @Ookla the Forgotten

9 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Yerik sucked in a breath. "Do you think that means...?" He didn't need to finish the sentence.

Miyako grinned as she drew her sword, "Viney, why you punching me?" She slipped to the entrance of the cottage and peeked her head out, looking for what caused the sound.

11 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Alright." Antin began climbing the stairs, doing his best to dampen every rune he encountered. After a considerable amount of time, he passed the fire rune safely and got to the barrier rune. "Quest, can you hear me? I can see the rune, I'm going to read it to you!"

The way I have been picturing this written language is as ideograms, similar to Chinese, in that every character symbolizes ideas but doesn't use sounds to show it. Sorry, I haven't really explained this either, I keep I assuming I've explained the stuff that I can see clearly in my head. But, you can't really read this language, we don't know the runes so you would have to copy it down or memorize it somehow. Since I never explained this, if you just want to read it to Quest feel free, that's my bad.

10 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Yeah, my intention was that he would read them out based on the meanings of symbols they had already identified.

Well, you can't really read out the shape of a character. And also we would only have a few of these characters, as most of them are for totally different function then the ones we have seen.

54 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako grinned as she drew her sword, "Viney, why you punching me?" She slipped to the entrance of the cottage and peeked her head out, looking for what caused the sound.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Crow said:

"If you say that the bell means the queen, I'm punching you." Hyron said, struggling to comprehend the thought of Miyako fighting thirty grown men.

Stalks... why did she keep getting more and more badass??

The village bell rung out its frantic warning to the town's inhabitants. The streets were empty- evidently no one wanted to be outside the safety of their homes for whatever came next.

"Newcomers!" a voice boomed out. "Queen Lethe requests your presence!"

41 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Hyron jumped out of bed and punched Miyako for calling them Viney, and Yerik for implying that the bell meant the Queen. Then they strode out the door.

"Stalking idiots, the both of you," They said over their shoulder.

@Ookla the Forgotten @Ookla the Kobold

Yerik took a deep breath and followed.

On 11/28/2022 at 6:28 PM, Ookla the [Redacted] said:

“Out is the way we were going, yes.”

Sorry, I've been busy with IRL stuff and I forgot about this.

"Then let us get going."

Annimus cocks his head, "how are you going to carry me, horses don't like tigers much, last time I checked."

@Ookla the [Redacted] @Ookla the Forgotten

2 hours ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

"Then let us get going."

Annimus cocks his head, "how are you going to carry me, horses don't like tigers much, last time I checked."

@Ookla the [Redacted] @Ookla the Forgotten

"Heartfire's a good girl," Anikel replied, patting the side of his steed lovingly. "She'll be fine, won't you girl?"

The horse whinnied uncommittedly but did not dispute Anikel's claim.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

The village bell rung out its frantic warning to the town's inhabitants. The streets were empty- evidently no one wanted to be outside the safety of their homes for whatever came next.

"Newcomers!" a voice boomed out. "Queen Lethe requests your presence!"

3 hours ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Hyron jumped out of bed and punched Miyako for calling them Viney, and Yerik for implying that the bell meant the Queen. Then they strode out the door.

"Stalking idiots, the both of you," They said over their shoulder.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Yerik took a deep breath and followed.

They were waiting on the other side of the village, where the land sloped upwards. Ten men and women, dressed in white and gold, crowned with silver circlets. Their faces were eerily expressionless as they watched the group approach.

One of the men stepped forward and spread his arms wide in a welcoming gesture. He spoke, his mouth turning up into a smile but his eyes remaining as they were. "Welcome, weary travelers, to the Nameless Island. You have traveled far and faced much tribulation; now you may rest. The Queen extends her invitation to you to attend her court this day."

@Ookla the Kobold @Ookla the Crow

Edited by Ookla the Forgotten

1 hour ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

They were waiting on the other side of the village, where the land sloped upwards. Ten men and women, dressed in white and gold, crowned with silver circlets. Their faces were eerily expressionless as they watched the group approach.

One of the men stepped forward and spread his arms wide in a welcoming gesture. He spoke, his mouth turning up into a smile but his eyes remaining as they were. "Welcome, weary travelers, to the Nameless Island. You have traveled far and faced much tribulation; now you may rest. The Queen extends her invitation to you to attend her court this day."

Miyako stood tall, sword held to the side. She had her hat on, shadowing her face.

"Ok. We'll talk 'bout it. Thanks for the offer." 

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako stood tall, sword held to the side. She had her hat on, shadowing her face.

"Ok. We'll talk 'bout it. Thanks for the offer." 

"Do not spend too much time deciding to accept," warned the man, his smile fading slightly. "The Queen is not a patient woman."

6 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Okay, he'll just write them.

Awkwardly, Antin took out his sheet of paper and pencil and tried to position both without moving his hand off of the runes. This might not work. My drawings will be too shaky. After a few tense moments, he got an idea. Holding the sheet of paper up to the rune directly, he ran his pencil back and forth over the rune, creating an image of its shape on the paper. Tucking away the paper, he made his way down.

"I got it!"

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Hyron raised an eyebrow at the elaborately dressed humans.

Strange how none of them have noticed I'm not human..

You'd think they would've by now.

It is strange, isn't it? ;)

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Y'all forgot Hyron wasn't human didn't ya? I feel like you did.

I have not forgotten.

Queen Lethe has in fact noticed that Hyron is not human. Part of why she has moved so quickly to capture them. :ph34r: 

"Should we go with them?" whispered Yerik, noting nervously the swords that the strangers carried on their waists.

Edited by Ookla the Forgotten

I see what you're doing with her name there. Lethe, the Underworld river of forgetfulness in greek mythology. That means something.

"I... don't know." Hyron whispered back, also noticing the swords. They thought for a bit.

"I think we should. Just to humor them."

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

"If we don't go with them, they'll probably take us by force anyways. If we go with them willingly, they might have their guard down enough that we can do something."

Miyako glanced over her shoulder. "I could take 'em out, probably. We could attack the Queen now, catch off guard."

Just now, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako glanced over her shoulder. "I could take 'em out, probably. We could attack the Queen now, catch off guard."

Hyron placed a hand on Miyako's shoulder, turning her to face them.

"Mi-" Hyron caught themselves before saying Miyako's name, then took a deep breath. "Think about it. If we take them out now, the Queen will know we're coming. Better to at least think she doesn't know."