Channelknight Fadran

Misting, I just saw that Mikayo is using Vacuum magic. I would like to clarify, vacuum is not a shadow magic. It uses all types of magic, but is limited in use by its nature as a reactive system, only generating a destructive interference-type magic. I don't really know how Mikayo got access to vacuum magic, but at least in my current imagination of it she couldn't have gotten hereditarily like Antin, because that would make channeling any other magic impossible without killing or severely injuring her. This is because while vacuum users can technically channel magic like normal, said magic still generates those destructive interference patterns which, instead of cancelling out the magic that the user is trying to cast, goes directly into the user therefore causing all sorts of damage. All of that is a main balancing feature of Antin's magic.

So what I'm saying is, Mikayo's access to and use of vacuum would have to be unique in some way to avoid all of that. What exactly can she do with it right now? How does it interact with her other magic?

@Ookla the Kobold

On 11/29/2022 at 4:39 PM, Ookla the magician said:

"That's the part I'm working on, I know the general neighborhood were it was lost, but no exact locations, so we'll have to do some searching. There's also a chance someone will have taken it before we find it, stamps can be really valuable. However I'm hoping that its nondescript enough that it will have just gotten ignored." Whist didn't share just how valuable the stamp collection was. Not because she didn't trust them but because Larsik had directly told her not to.

"No, the distance between Caerlon and the island we're on is pretty small, there's a ferry we can take. But the city will be on the other side of the island, so we will have to do some traveling."

Fiadh's face scrunched up in confusion. "But isn't a ferry a type of boat?" 

3 hours ago, InfiniteInsanity said:

Fiadh's face scrunched up in confusion. "But isn't a ferry a type of boat?" 

"Yeah, it goes over a river or canal or slim bit of water, and sometimes has a rope. So yes, we're taking a boat. We're also walking."

17 hours ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

"Heartfire's a good girl," Anikel replied, patting the side of his steed lovingly. "She'll be fine, won't you girl?"

The horse whinnied uncommittedly but did not dispute Anikel's claim.

Annimus warrily approaches Heartfire whispering, "I don't want to do this as much as you."

Carefully placing a foot in the stirup, Annimus hoists himself up and immediately crashes to the ground.

Owww, that hurt.

Then you should do it again.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

The voice retreats with one last barb, I'll never leave, murderer.

Wincing Annimus slowly rises, steadying himself, but his legs still shake.

Perhaps I can calm the horse.

Annimus reaches out with his hand towards the horse, claws retracted.

In his best soothing voice he whispers, "How are you girl?"

Hyron breathed out in shock, watching Miyako turn into... something else.

They watched her strike, fluidly, parrying and thrusting like the wind, like creepers around a tree.

Stalks...

This.. this wasn't her. This wasn't her, this couldn't be her.

There was so much Hyron didn't know, but they had to do something, or risk the death of Miyako.

Something that, if it came to pass, Hyron would be torn apart from the inside out.

Lips (and bruises) tingling, they stood, and took a long drink from their canteen.

Then they concentrated.

Hyron concentrated harder than ever before, falling to their knees and pressing their hands into the soil. They attempted an Attunement. Something only the Elders were said to be even capable of attempting. But, if it meant saving Miyako, Hyron would try anything.

Hyron hummed, feeling the soil, the seeds, the potential energy of the Life beneath their fingers.

They Breathed out, and the Breath spread over the soil. Vines, thick, powerful vines, began to creep out of the ground, speeding up until they were shooting at the Queen's men.

The vines caught them by surprise, wrapping around their legs and moving up their bodies. The Attunement was working. Hyron, sweating from the exertion, also commanded the vines to wrap around Miyako's arms, torso, and legs, while they commanded the rest to completely encase the Queen's men and women.

@Ookla the Forgotten @Ookla the Kobold

Edited by Ookla the Crow

10 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Misting, I just saw that Mikayo is using Vacuum magic. I would like to clarify, vacuum is not a shadow magic. It uses all types of magic, but is limited in use by its nature as a reactive system, only generating a destructive interference-type magic. I don't really know how Mikayo got access to vacuum magic, but at least in my current imagination of it she couldn't have gotten hereditarily like Antin, because that would make channeling any other magic impossible without killing or severely injuring her. This is because while vacuum users can technically channel magic like normal, said magic still generates those destructive interference patterns which, instead of cancelling out the magic that the user is trying to cast, goes directly into the user therefore causing all sorts of damage. All of that is a main balancing feature of Antin's magic.

So what I'm saying is, Mikayo's access to and use of vacuum would have to be unique in some way to avoid all of that. What exactly can she do with it right now? How does it interact with her other magic?

Ok yes, this is your interpretation of vacuum magic. But, I was developing Miyako as a character and her magic before your character in the campaign. In the worldbuilding doc I saw the vacuum magic, and the element it was tied to was shadow. I thought that was a very cool idea. Before I ever saw Antin I was working out Miyako and her Shadow.

I think we can have the same effect of magic while having different downsides and ways to access the magic, kinda like in the cosmere. Though lightweaving is used on Roshar, Sel and Yolen it is used in different ways to access the magic. I don't see why that can't work here. 

Both of Miyako's magics come from her bloodline and the way I had viewed it was that the vacuum magic stopped external magic but didn't interfere with her own internal magic.

Also I'm aware Miyako is kind of OP at the moment. But I still think it is decently balancing as Miyako is currently a soulless killing machine. In using her Shadow she loses her humanity and emotions. It's more of a character flaw then a power.

So yes, even though we had very different interpretations on how this magic would work I think they are both cool, valid ways for it to function. 

1 hour ago, Ookla the Crow said:

They watched her strike, fluidly, parrying and thrusting like the wind, like creepers around a tree.

Stalks...

There was so much Hyron didn't know, but they had to do something, or risk the death of Miyako.

Something that, if it came to pass, Hyron would be torn apart from the inside out.

Lips (and bruises) tingling, they stood, and took a long drink from their canteen.

Then they concentrated.

Hyron concentrated harder than ever before, falling to their knees and pressing their hands into the soil. They attempted an Attunement. Something only the Elders were said to be even capable of attempting. But, if it meant saving Miyako, Hyron would try anything.

Hyron hummed, feeling the soil, the seeds, the potential energy of the Life beneath their fingers.

They Breathed out, and the Breath spread over the soil. Vines, thick, powerful vines, began to creep out of the ground, speeding up until they were shooting at the Queen's men.

The vines caught them by surprise, wrapping around their legs and moving up their bodies. The Attunement was working. Hyron, sweating from the exertion, also commanded the vines to wrap around Miyako's arms, torso, and legs, while they commanded the rest to completely encase the Queen's men and women.

If you are using magic to control the vines they probably can't touch Miyako without withering or losing the growth.

Edited by Ookla the Kobold

1 minute ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

If you are using magic to control the vines they probably can't touch Miyako without withering or losing the growth.

say it as such. i simply said Hyron commanded them to. I never said they did.

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

say it as such. i simply said Hyron commanded them to. I never said they did.

Cool.

As the Hyron's vines grew towards Miyako she grabbed onto a one, draining with her Shadow. It withered in her grasp and she easily cut through the rest reaching towards her. 

Calmy, as if on a morning walk, Miyako looked around the battlefield. Hyron would have to be dealt with, but he was no danger to her at the moment. The guards were still struggling even with the vines. Guards, then Hyron. It was so clean cut, so simple. It was so easy.

Miyako jumped up, sailing through the air at the rest of the guards, cloaked by an aura of midnight even in the daylight sun. A living Shadow come to bring death.

Hyron felt the vine die, and gasped, breaking the Attunement. The vines creeping around the Queen's guards stopped, but held firm.

Hyron fell back, breathing heavily. They were exhausted.

They sat back, and could do nothing but watch Miyako furiously and calmly wreak havoc. Considering the sun was high in the sky already, Miyako seemed encased in black.

Hyron had never felt such primal fear in their life. They took a long drink from their canteen again, and realized it was almost empty.

13 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako shot the stream through the man's visor, into his head. She turned to the rest of the men. Her face was hard, cold, emotionless. The face of a killer.

The man fell to the ground soundlessly.

3 hours ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

Annimus warrily approaches Heartfire whispering, "I don't want to do this as much as you."

Carefully placing a foot in the stirup, Annimus hoists himself up and immediately crashes to the ground.

Owww, that hurt.

Then you should do it again.

GET OUT OF MY HEAD!

The voice retreats with one last barb, I'll never leave, murderer.

Wincing Annimus slowly rises, steadying himself, but his legs still shake.

Perhaps I can calm the horse.

Annimus reaches out with his hand towards the horse, claws retracted.

In his best soothing voice he whispers, "How are you girl?"

Heartfire whinnied and flicked her tail. Get on with it, her demeanor seemed to say. 

3 hours ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Stalks...

Then they concentrated.

A few of the guards slashed at the vines as they grew, but they were too fast. Quickly each became encased.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

As the Hyron's vines grew towards Miyako she grabbed onto a one, draining with her Shadow. It withered in her grasp and she easily cut through the rest reaching towards her. 

Calmy, as if on a morning walk, Miyako looked around the battlefield. Hyron would have to be dealt with, but he was no danger to her at the moment. The guards were still struggling even with the vines. Guards, then Hyron. It was so clean cut, so simple. It was so easy.

Miyako jumped up, sailing through the air at the rest of the guards, cloaked by an aura of midnight even in the daylight sun. A living Shadow come to bring death.

59 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Hyron felt the vine die, and gasped, breaking the Attunement. The vines creeping around the Queen's guards stopped, but held firm.

Hyron fell back, breathing heavily. They were exhausted.

They sat back, and could do nothing but watch Miyako furiously and calmly wreak havoc. Considering the sun was high in the sky already, Miyako seemed encased in black.

Hyron had never felt such primal fear in their life. They took a long drink from their canteen again, and realized it was almost empty.

The vines around three of the guards wriggled as their armor transformed, becoming serrated. With a struggle, they broke free of their restraints. The other six continued to struggle, but remained bound. 

The three that had escaped raised their swords defensively as Miyako attacked.

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

The vines around three of the guards wriggled as their armor transformed, becoming serrated. With a struggle, they broke free of their restraints. The other six continued to struggle, but remained bound. 

The three that had escaped raised their swords defensively as Miyako attacked.

Two questions: did I kill that one guy with the water arrow to the head? How many guards are there?

Edit: I didn't see that you had answered that. Sorry.

Miyako lands among the three guard slashing out with her sword. Her stream of water fought alongside her, covering her flank while she looked for an opening to drain them with the Shadow. Weaving from move to move with a grace and speed lent from her Shadow, Miyako was a blur of steel and water. 

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Heartfire whinnied and flicked her tail. Get on with it, her demeanor seemed to say. 

3 hours ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Annimus rests his hand on the horse and inadvertantly transfers some of his energy into the horse. Climbing into the stirup and hoisting himself up. Annimus manages to successfully mount Heartfire.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako lands among the three guard slashing out with her sword. Her stream of water fought alongside her, covering her flank while she looked for an opening to drain them with the Shadow. Weaving from move to move with a grace and speed lent from her Shadow, Miyako was a blur of steel and water. 

Ten total. One is dead, six are wrapped up, three are fighting.

The Queen's guards fought three to one, and it still wasn't a fair fight. While their movements were graceful and their attacks made expertly, they were still only three blades. One sparred directly with Miyako, matching her strike for strike, resisting as best she could Miyako's unnatural strength and speed. Meanwhile the other two fought off Miyako's stream, unable to break through and land a hit. All three carefully avoided leaving an opening for Miyako to repeat her draining attack, adopting a mostly defensive position. But, slowly but surely, Miyako pushed them back.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Myopic said:

Annimus rests his hand on the horse and inadvertantly transfers some of his energy into the horse. Climbing into the stirup and hoisting himself up. Annimus manages to successfully mount Heartfire.

What sort of energy?

Anikel flicked the reins and the group set off away from the forest.

Hyron sat, watching, dumbfounded.

Their mind was racing, wondering if Miyako would die, if Miyako would kill everyone, wondering what Miyako actually was, what with the strange shadowy aura around her.

Mostly, they were worried what Miyako would do to them after all this. Hyron had done something stupid. They'd kissed Miyako. And, based on the fight, that had done... something bad.

This was Hyron's fault. Hyron grabbed their head in their hands, their breathing speeding up. Their mind was working against them.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

The Queen's guards fought three to one, and it still wasn't a fair fight. While their movements were graceful and their attacks made expertly, they were still only three blades. One sparred directly with Miyako, matching her strike for strike, resisting as best she could Miyako's unnatural strength and speed. Meanwhile the other two fought off Miyako's stream, unable to break through and land a hit. All three carefully avoided leaving an opening for Miyako to repeat her draining attack, adopting a mostly defensive position. But, slowly but surely, Miyako pushed them back.

While calming waiting, Miyako fought like crashing waves. When the guards fighting her stream paused for a second, Miyako struck. She feinted towards her opponent, and in that moment called her stream, slashing it towards the guards head. It was only a brief moment, but that was all she needed. 

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

While calming waiting, Miyako fought like crashing waves. When the guards fighting her stream paused for a second, Miyako struck. She feinted towards her opponent, and in that moment called her stream, slashing it towards the guards head. It was only a brief moment, but that was all she needed. 

The two guards fell. Neither of them had time even to scream.

That left just the one. As her compatriots fell, her eyes narrowed. Her attacks became more aggressive, faster.

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Crow said:

Hyron sat, watching, dumbfounded.

Their mind was racing, wondering if Miyako would die, if Miyako would kill everyone, wondering what Miyako actually was, what with the strange shadowy aura around her.

Mostly, they were worried what Miyako would do to them after all this. Hyron had done something stupid. They'd kissed Miyako. And, based on the fight, that had done... something bad.

This was Hyron's fault. Hyron grabbed their head in their hands, their breathing speeding up. Their mind was working against them.

"H- I mean, hey!" Yerik dropped down by Hyron. "Are you alright?"

Just now, Ookla the Forgotten said:

The two guards fell. Neither of them had time even to scream.

That left just the one. As her compatriots fell, her eyes narrowed. Her attacks became more aggressive, faster.

Miyako pushing off the falling body, launching herself at the last guard. Miyako swung with her sword, encircling her blade with the stream, attacking with a shattering force.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Miyako pushing off the falling body, launching herself at the last guard. Miyako swung with her sword, encircling her blade with the stream, attacking with a shattering force.

The final guard let out a cry and lunged for Miyako, utterly disregarding her safety as she struck.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

I see where the confusion came from, because someone changed my magic system on the doc to be shadow even though I didn't intend it that way. It could be that the shadow makes her lose her humanity, or that shadow reacting with vacuum is what is causing that, and it's just a different manifestation of the backfire thing. As for the dampening 'bubble,' I guess that's fine as an alternate way for it to function. In my mind it can all just be chalked up to magical weirdness.

Also, I think you missed my most recent RP post.

13 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

I see where the confusion came from, because someone changed my magic system on the doc to be shadow even though I didn't intend it that way. It could be that the shadow makes her lose her humanity, or that shadow reacting with vacuum is what is causing that, and it's just a different manifestation of the backfire thing. As for the dampening 'bubble,' I guess that's fine as an alternate way for it to function. In my mind it can all just be chalked up to magical weirdness.

Also, I think you missed my most recent RP post.

Yes, sorry I misinterpret it. Thanks for the understanding. Also yes, I totally did miss your last post. Sorry...

19 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Awkwardly, Antin took out his sheet of paper and pencil and tried to position both without moving his hand off of the runes. This might not work. My drawings will be too shaky. After a few tense moments, he got an idea. Holding the sheet of paper up to the rune directly, he ran his pencil back and forth over the rune, creating an image of its shape on the paper. Tucking away the paper, he made his way down.

"I got it!"

Quest smiled wildly, running up to Antin. "Yes! These runes will be so useful! Thank you Antin." He paused breathing and smiled again. "Now lets figure out what they do. Hmm, onto more testing I suppose."

21 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

The final guard let out a cry and lunged for Miyako, utterly disregarding her safety as she struck.

The swords met in the air, the force of Miyako's blade, stream, shadow and titanic leap driving into the women's blade. 

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

The swords met in the air, the force of Miyako's blade, stream, shadow and titanic leap driving into the women's blade. 

With a clang, the woman's sword was flung out of her grip. She gasped, falling to the ground.

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Kobold said:

Quest smiled wildly, running up to Antin. "Yes! These runes will be so useful! Thank you Antin." He paused breathing and smiled again. "Now lets figure out what they do. Hmm, onto more testing I suppose."

"Alright. So how do you make these runes work, anyway?"

49 minutes ago, Ookla the Forgotten said:

Hyron hissed through their teeth, gripping their head in their hands.

Your fault...

How could you do this?

No. Coming. Back

"No," They said through gritted teeth, "I've messed up, I caused this, I've turned Mi- her, into that."