Channelknight Fadran

Just now, Mr. Misting said:

"I think I have everything written... Look at this." He indicated a single character that he had noted on his sheet. "This one shows up on the circle for the lights and for the fireplace. Could that be some sort of connection?"

I'm kind of winging it here, so let me know if something he says doesn't line up with what would really be there and I can edit it.

6 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

"This one is real," Yerik replied seriously. "My grandparents lived through it."

Miyako paused, noting Yerik's tone. "We are stuck either way. Curse or no curse we need to get off somehow."

6 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"I think I have everything written... Look at this." He indicated a single character that he had noted on his sheet. "This one shows up on the circle for the lights and for the fireplace. Could that be some sort of connection?"

I'm kind of winging it here, so let me know if something he says doesn't line up with what would really be there and I can edit it.

Awesome your totally good. I have vague ideas for the mechanics but nothing to solid. Feel more then free to add anything you want.

Quest jumped up, spilling papers. "Ah! This is great! Now that we have found connections we can began to find patterns. Thank you Antin, this will go so much faster with your help."

1 minute ago, Mr. Misting said:

Quest jumped up, spilling papers. "Ah! This is great! Now that we have found connections we can began to find patterns. Thank you Antin, this will go so much faster with your help."

Antin stared at the spilled papers. "How about you start on that, and I organize all of those... somehow."

4 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

Miyako paused, noting Yerik's tone. "We are stuck either way. Curse or no curse we need to get off somehow."

Yerik nodded, biting his lip. "Yeah. The faster the better. Maybe if we're fast enough, we can escape."

In the meantime, Geff had begun issuing instructions to the crew to gather logs and other supplies from the forest. He turned and spotted Miyako and Yerik.

"Hey," he growled. "Get working. Go gather wood or something. We'll need every hand we can get if we want to get off this stars-forsaken island."

"We were just about to-" Yerik explained, but the captain had already stalked off. Yerik sighed, examining the wreckage of the ship and wondering how long it would take to fix.

22 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Antin stared at the spilled papers. "How about you start on that, and I organize all of those... somehow."

"No, no. Don't worry yourself with these", Quest said gesturing at his piles of paper, half of them now knocked over. "I had a system, I can clean it up I'm sure.

18 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Yerik nodded, biting his lip. "Yeah. The faster the better. Maybe if we're fast enough, we can escape."

In the meantime, Geff had begun issuing instructions to the crew to gather logs and other supplies from the forest. He turned and spotted Miyako and Yerik.

"Hey," he growled. "Get working. Go gather wood or something. We'll need every hand we can get if we want to get off this stars-forsaken island."

"We were just about to-" Yerik explained, but the captain had already stalked off. Yerik sighed, examining the wreckage of the ship and wondering how long it would take to fix.

Miyako began seething, growling quietly at Geff. Who has he to ignore Yerik like that? Just because the acolyte was a little timid didn't know what he was doing.

Miyako called out to the captain, "You can't fight the ocean by nailing trees to your broken ship! We are actually going to go solve the problem." Miayko yelled, gesturing to Hyron, Yerik and her. She continued quieter, determined, "we are going to find a way off this island."

Edited by Mr. Misting

7 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

"No, no. Don't worry yourself with these", Quest said gesturing at his piles of paper, half of them now knocked over. "I had a system, I can clean it up I'm sure.

Miyako began seething, growling quietly at Geff. Who has he to ignore Yerik like that? Just because the acolyte was a little timid didn't know what he was doing.

Miyako called out to the captain, "You can't fight the ocean by nailing trees to your broken ship! We are actually going to go solve the problem." Miayko yelled, gesturing to Hyron, Yerik and her. She continued quieter, determined, "we are going to find a way off this island."

Geff paused, turning to look directly at Miyako with one eyebrow raised. "You mean to tell me you plan to build your own boat and sail away?"

23 hours ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Hm? Oh, I just figured you were tired or something."

“Partially true.” Kealie scanned the forest. Wind is mild, blowing somewhere between east and southeast. Foliage barely rustling. Some small animal just ran out of the bushes to my left. She started creeping forward, listening for anything abnormal.

2 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"What kind of system are you using?"

"Ah yes, umm, hmmm. I keep the copies of rune circles over their and, umm, I keep theories and possible connections over there. Though to be fair most of my speculation ison the rune pages themselves..." Quest paused. "A bad one. Yes, I have a bad system, if you could even call it a system." Quest smiled at Antin, awkwardly gesturing at his piles of pages. "Organizing is not a talent of mine."

2 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

Geff paused, turning to look directly at Miyako with one eyebrow raised. "You mean to tell me you plan to build your own boat and sail away?"

"There has to be a better way off this rock." Miyako folded her arms, looking him hard in the eyes. "My crew is going to find it."

6 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

"Ah yes, umm, hmmm. I keep the copies of rune circles over their and, umm, I keep theories and possible connections over there. Though to be fair most of my speculation ison the rune pages themselves..." Quest paused. "A bad one. Yes, I have a bad system, if you could even call it a system." Quest smiled at Antin, awkwardly gesturing at his piles of pages. "Organizing is not a talent of mine."

"Ok, here's an idea for the rune pages: count the number of times that each rune appears. Group together all of the circles containing the least common rune. That one should be the easiest to figure out. Then repeat, going up in commonality and using what you already know to make guesses about how the language is representing each function and determine the meaning of even more runes." Antin paused, looking sheepish. "At least, if you think that that's a good idea."

5 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Ok, here's an idea for the rune pages: count the number of times that each rune appears. Group together all of the circles containing the least common rune. That one should be the easiest to figure out. Then repeat, going up in commonality and using what you already know to make guesses about how the language is representing each function and determine the meaning of even more runes." Antin paused, looking sheepish. "At least, if you think that that's a good idea."

Quest paused, seemly thinking through something in his head. "Thats....actually a really good idea Antin. That would quickly expand our understanding of words and the functions that connect ideas...." Quest trailed off, looking over to Antin. "Do you do this of work? Do you like this?"

Edited by Mr. Misting

9 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

Quest paused, seemly thinking through something in his head. "Thats....actually a really good idea Antin. That would quickly expand our understanding of words and the functions that connect ideas...." Quest trailed off, looking over to Antin. "Do you do this of work? Do you like this?"

Do you mean "for work"?

"I guess it's fun. I was already thinking about grouping by runes, but that doesn't really work since the circles have multiple runes. I was thinking least common first because it would be easier to find a commonality. Then again, there is merit to doing most common first because then it could be easier to figure out the other runes on more tablets at a time. We can test different strategies, and see what works."

Antin paused, taking a breath. "It's nice to have someone to talk to."

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"I guess it's fun. I was already thinking about grouping by runes, but that doesn't really work since the circles have multiple runes. I was thinking least common first because it would be easier to find a commonality. Then again, there is merit to doing most common first because then it could be easier to figure out the other runes on more tablets at a time. We can test different strategies, and see what works."

Antin paused, taking a breath. "It's nice to have someone to talk to."

Quest smiled, the expression growing to fill his whole face. "It is nice." Quest said, nodding. 

"I think this will work well.  I have the large vision, the ideas, the- the instinctual connections" Quest began to pace, growing more excited, "and if you could provide the numbers and meticulous understanding...well then, we could do great things. I think we are going to be good friends."

3 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

Quest smiled, the expression growing to fill his whole face. "It is nice." Quest said, nodding. 

"I think this will work well.  I have the large vision, the ideas, the- the instinctual connections" Quest began to pace, growing more excited, "and if you could provide the numbers and meticulous understanding...well then, we could do great things. I think we are going to be good friends."

Antin's face fell slightly at the last sentence, but he tried to hide it. He gave a mumbled "Yeah," then got to work on counting and sorting.

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

Antin's face fell slightly at the last sentence, but he tried to hide it. He gave a mumbled "Yeah," then got to work on counting and sorting.

Quest looked deep at Antin, trying to find why what had fled across his face. Had Quest said something wrong? Was he hurting Antin?

"Umm, Antin? Would you like to grab something eat? We have been at this for a while, a break could do us good."

6 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

Quest looked deep at Antin, trying to find why what had fled across his face. Had Quest said something wrong? Was he hurting Antin?

"Umm, Antin? Would you like to grab something eat? We have been at this for a while, a break could do us good."

"You go ahead, I'll sort. I don't really... eat much."

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"You go ahead, I'll sort. I don't really... eat much."

"Umm, ok." Quest said, slowing walking out of the main room, eyes lingering on Antin as he looked over the papers. Quest felt like a ember was dying here, but he didn't know how to respond without smothering it. He wanted to help Antin, but....there wasn't much to do.

Defeated, Quest walked out to the camp and prepared dinner. When he looked out at the house and the surrounding woods, what had seemed exciting and fresh in the morning felt... subdued. There was still a curiosity, a drive to press on but also it was tinged with hesitancy. Worried that this hope would be ruined by hasty actions and well intentioned blunders. 

Quest always felt helpless in these situations. He could see the problem but didn't dare try to fix it. He eventually sighed and picked up his food. Quest ate, staring quietly at the burgeoning sunset, alone. 

Just now, Mr. Misting said:

"Umm, ok." Quest said, slowing walking out of the main room, eyes lingering on Antin as he looked over the papers. Quest felt like a ember was dying here, but he didn't know how to respond without smothering it. He wanted to help Antin, but....there wasn't much to do.

Defeated, Quest walked out to the camp and prepared dinner. When he looked out at the house and the surrounding woods, what had seemed exciting and fresh in the morning felt... subdued. There was still a curiosity, a drive to press on but also it was tinged with hesitancy. Worried that this hope would be ruined by hasty actions and well intentioned blunders. 

Quest always felt helpless in these situations. He could see the problem but didn't dare try to fix it. He eventually sighed and picked up his food. Quest ate, staring quietly at the burgeoning sunset, alone. 

A few minutes later, Antin walked up and sat down next to Quest, cloak splaying out on the ground. The contrast of his skin had subdued somewhat.

"I'm sorry. That was stupid of me. I just have trouble with these things... I have fears, some more concrete than others. Trying to make friends is one of those fears. It always seems to go wrong somehow, and it's usually my fault. That's why I'm always bouncing between groups and places. Just... I hope you didn't think you did something wrong. Because you didn't."

12 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

A few minutes later, Antin walked up and sat down next to Quest, cloak splaying out on the ground. The contrast of his skin had subdued somewhat.

"I'm sorry. That was stupid of me. I just have trouble with these things... I have fears, some more concrete than others. Trying to make friends is one of those fears. It always seems to go wrong somehow, and it's usually my fault. That's why I'm always bouncing between groups and places. Just... I hope you didn't think you did something wrong. Because you didn't."

Quest nodded. "Thank you. I...I can get caught up in ideas easily, but please tell me if I assume to much. I shouldn't have sprung that on you."

A small smile was on Quest's face, though he looked at Antin to make sure he realized that the importance that Quest cared, because Quest did care. "But thank you for coming to sit with me. Now that that is cleared  up....question: Do you think we should organize the runes by commonality and type or should we incorpora..." *fade out as the camera pans over the forest and music starts to play* 

Archivist I think this would be an awesome place to do a brief time skip, and leave Quest and Antin to nerd out on scholarly matters. If you want to keep talking at the dinner though, feel free to. This is just the vibe I am getting from the current narrative.

Edited by Mr. Misting

1 minute ago, Mr. Misting said:

Quest nodded. "Thank you. I...I can get caught up in ideas easily, but please tell me if I assume to much. I shouldn't have sprung that on you."

A small smile was on Quest's face, though he looked at Antin to make sure he realized that the importance that Quest cared, because Quest did care. "But thank you for coming to sit with me. Now that that is cleared  up....question: Do you think we should organize the runes by commonality and type or should we incorpora..." *slow fade out* 

That's fine by me. So, where would we be skipping to?

4 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

That's fine by me. So, where would we be skipping to?

Where ever you want. We could be doing experimentation with the runes, have something go wrong with the house, find a breakthrough in the rune language system, etc. You can choose anything, if you would like. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Misting said:

"So if I'm right, these runes should be for the skylight." Antin placed his hand on the circle, and the circle in the roof that kept daylight apparently streaming into the room all through the night blacked out. "Yes!" In the darkness, the faintest of glows was visible coming off of his skin, which was newly refreshed from testing. He laughed happily, taking his hand off of the rune. For just a moment after he did so, a massive burst of green flame erupted from his hand.

"Woah!" A wave of intense heat rolled across the room. Antin was unscathed, but immediately seemed different. While still unusually light, his skin had taken on the tone of normal skin. His hair was very dark, but no longer had the void-like quality to it. As he turned, eyes wide from shock, Quest could see that his eyes had whites in them, with near-black irises. He looked remarkably normal, like an average young human adult replacing the strange being that previously had occupied his space.

Sorry that that took so long. Writing descriptions is hard.

Edited by The Aspiring Archivist

3 hours ago, Mr. Misting said:

"There has to be a better way off this rock." Miyako folded her arms, looking him hard in the eyes. "My crew is going to find it."

"Your crew? You mean- ah." The corners of Geff's mouth turned up in a smirk. "I see. Well, when you come to your senses, we'll still have a spot open."

With that, he turned and walked away, shouting at one of the crewmembers who was teetering on the edge of the boat with a casket of water in his hands.

"Thanks," said Yerik quietly from behind Miyako, shuffling his feet awkwardly in the sand.