The 17th Shard Symphony Orchestra (and other musicians)

1 hour ago, Immortal Platypus said:

I have School level S&E today and I'm stressed out of my mind. I'm going to absolutely fail and it's gonna be terrible, but i'll be ready by region S&E.

Your School has school-level S&E? How big is it?

I have district (I assume it's the region equivalent) S&E in a week and a half.

P.S. You got this

Edited by Lego Mistborn

5 hours ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Your School has school-level S&E? How big is it?

I have district (I assume it's the region equivalent) S&E in a week and a half.

P.S. You got this

we don't have an official school S&E but our conductor just brought in some conductor friends to adjudicate for him, so that's what we're doing today

On 1/24/2024 at 4:54 PM, Immortal Platypus said:

we don't have an official school S&E but our conductor just brought in some conductor friends to adjudicate for him, so that's what we're doing today

How'd it go?

On 10/18/2022 at 1:21 PM, Just a Silvereye said:

Hello, clarinettist here!

I am a new clarinetist. Only been playing for 2 1/2 years.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:21 AM, Lightweaver2 said:

My school has no orchestra. But we do have a band, I play trombone.

I am in said band. Clarinet to be precise.

Guys Music of the Night is such a beautiful song, but it is absolute braize to play. I never thought I’d be grateful to only be playing in 5th position… *shivers*

32 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Guys Music of the Night is such a beautiful song, but it is absolute braize to play. I never thought I’d be grateful to only be playing in 5th position… *shivers*

we had evening of concertos last night and one of the violins played a concerto where he was playing fast in almost always 7th and never less than 6th (i think)

18 minutes ago, Immortal Platypus said:

we had evening of concertos last night and one of the violins played a concerto where he was playing fast in almost always 7th and never less than 6th (i think)

Wait who the light--

Actually, nevermind I think I know.

4 hours ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I played viola for 3 years, but never heard about these "positions". Are they the fingerings on string instruments, like slide positions on the trombone?

Positions are really just a way of determining how high you are on the string. So, first position is the basic position you learn when you start, and second position is when you slide your hand up the string by one note and play in a different key, third position is when your index finger lands on the note your ring finger usually plays, and so on. By the time you reach 6th and 7th position, you're basically playing at the far (near? It's closer to you...) end of the fingerboard.

Hopefully that makes sense. If not, I suggest Googling "shifting" in a string instrument sense. 

53 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Dude

Our orchestra/choir is doing fantastic. We have our second concert tonight, and I really hope we don’t have technical difficulties again, because it’s such a cool concert. 

@Immortal Platypus come testify to how amazing we are :D

i... actually haven't gone. but our school was #1 performing arts last year in the state and our orchestra is superior at regions most years and sometimes at state.

our choir is super dedicated and have so many rehearsals. they're awesome

1 hour ago, Immortal Platypus said:

i... actually haven't gone. but our school was #1 performing arts last year in the state and our orchestra is superior at regions most years and sometimes at state.

our choir is super dedicated and have so many rehearsals. they're awesome

Come tonight!! You have 6 minutes <33

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/8/2024 at 7:33 PM, Immortal Platypus said:

i have to build a debate case for the tournament on saturday. otherwise I would. I thought about it, but i'm not done :(.

How’d the tourney go? What’s your event? (Also I’m a 7 year cellist so I can be here)

Sorry to steal the limelight, but I did get gold at state! I still don't feel like I deserve it.

Also, I'm working on a cosmere marching band. I'll share it here when I get enough done on it.

On 3/5/2024 at 5:24 PM, Immortal Platypus said:

i do pf, it went fine. I went 2-1, but one of those was a bye

Nothing wrong with a bye. Means you’re better at showing up. I do LD.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people! I play violin (for 5 1/2 years now) and I played French Horn and Mellophone for about a year or so

I also have S&E in a few weeks (its on April 13th I think)

I’m playing Auld Lang Syne with my ensemble and Boccherini’s Minuet for my Solo

As a full orchestra We’re playing the music from Coco and “A Million Dreams” from The Greatest Showman, so that’s pretty cool

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 12:12 PM, WhyEverNot_8 said:

Hello people! I play violin (for 5 1/2 years now) and I played French Horn and Mellophone for about a year or so

I also have S&E in a few weeks (its on April 13th I think)

I’m playing Auld Lang Syne with my ensemble and Boccherini’s Minuet for my Solo

As a full orchestra We’re playing the music from Coco and “A Million Dreams” from The Greatest Showman, so that’s pretty cool

I also play violin! Not for that long though, unfortunately

I also play piano, which I've been playing for...about eight years? I think?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there! I'm a violist! I'm not very good though, I'm still in school so I haven't had many years. Technically we were supposed to learn recorder and ukelele in music class, but I don't think anyone paid attention. 

Also, is it just me, or are viola people and bass people besties?

On 4/27/2024 at 8:44 PM, Doomslug Doomslug Doomslug said:

Hi there! I'm a violist! I'm not very good though, I'm still in school so I haven't had many years. Technically we were supposed to learn recorder and ukelele in music class, but I don't think anyone paid attention. 

Also, is it just me, or are viola people and bass people besties?

Nope, very true most times.

What is your favorite piece you’ve played so far?