Lost Metal Typos

Chaos

Not 100% sure, but I think I'd count these as typos. TL;DR letters following an apostrophe (maybe only in the case of 'd?) aren't italicized even when they're in the middle of italicized text and the rest of the word is italicized.

I noticed towards the end of reading my hardcover that were several cases where there is an italicized section with a word containing an apostrophe like "you'd", but the letter after the apostrophe isn't italicized (eg "you'd"). After seeing it once they started popping out at me. I grabbed the ebook and extracted the epub contents, and it looks like all instances of words with "'d" are like "And he<span class="kern">’d</span> made some modifications." I assumed (based on the class name) that this had something to do with making the apostrophes look correct due to some sort of kerning issues, but stylesheet.css has a section for "span.kern" and it's blank, so I'm not really sure what's going on there (maybe the existence of the separate span solves some sort of problem?)

The trouble is, this special handling for apostrophes doesn't play nicely with the way things are italicized. Instead of having the "<span class="kern">...</span>" inside the "<i>...</i>", it does it like "<i>It is something else. But it didn’t work as I</i><span class="kern">’d</span> <i>hoped.</i>". Several of the examples I found by grepping for '</i><span class="kern"' are like "blah blah he'd blah blah" where only the "he" is italicized and the "'d" isn't, which seems less clearly like a mistake, but I think they're still unintentional.

Examples:

• Chapter 19 paragraph 24 - "...then again, he’d done his..."
  • Chapter 30 paragraph 5 - "...his flat after he’d had too..."
  • Chapter 46 paragraph 84 - "...if I'd been there..."
  • Chapter 66 paragraph 14 - "...didn't work as I'd hoped."
  • Chapter 69 paragraph 80 - "You'd end up..."
  • Chapter 70 paragraph 45 - "You’d better be on..."
  • Chapter 73 paragraph 7 - "You’d better not have..."

Sorry if I was a bit overly verbose :)

TLM US hardcover first edition Ars Arcanum, page 503, duralumin section: 

Connector Ferrings can store Spiritual Connection in a duralumin metalmind, reducing other people’s awareness and friendship with them during active storage, and can tap it at a later time in order to speedily form trust relationships with others. 

Should "reducing other people’s awareness and friendship with them" read "reducing other people’s awareness of and friendship with them"? If you remove "and friendship with", the phrasing doesn't seem to stand on its own: "reducing other people’s awareness them" ("reducing other people’s awareness with them" doesn't work either). Presumably Connectors aren't reducing others' general awareness, only their awareness of specifically the Connector, so "reducing other people’s awareness" can't be on its own. 

p. 121 Allik refers to Wax as “Adjective Waxillium”

Assuming this is a typo, but maybe it’s supposed to be a translation medallion failing at a specific word? At this point I’d expect Allik to have learned Northern though…

47 minutes ago, duladen said:

Assuming this is a typo, but maybe it’s supposed to be a translation medallion failing at a specific word? At this point I’d expect Allik to have learned Northern though…

I'd say it is Allik getting snarky.

Ch 59:

He was still slime—the way he’d casually ordered the execution of those captives had proved it

Ch 67:

It had proved difficult to keep him from talking and spoiling the effect by being … well, himself

Past perfect tense - had proven 

e-Book:

It seems some hyphenations from the physical print were not reversed for the epub version (and/or have a space added):

Ch 1:

Jammi has a great repu- tation.

Ch 11:

A large grey- and-white short-haired animal

gray-and-white

Ch 13:

the source of the mists back in antever- dant days.

anteverdant

Ch 52:

His path following the trucks had been ob- vious

obvious

Ch 69:

Bilming retreating in the dis- tance.

distance

Ep1:

as she stood on the train plat- form

platform

Ep 7:

But this is spot- on from the first try

spot-on

Inconsistent spelling - Gray:

Alloy of Law uses the American English: Gray

Lost metal seems to use the British English exclusively: Grey

Ch 10: His drooping mustaches had greyed in recent years

Ch 11: A large grey-and-white short-haired

Ch 32: She had frizzy grey-black hair and a disheveled appearance

Ch 36:  they found the grey-haired editor Maraga

Ch 45: though those colors were mostly muted dark greys and blacks against the brilliant red sky

Ch 56: She wore a fine grey-blue dress

Ch 69: Her skin began to turn grey

Ep 1: on the strangely grey skin of her arm

I don't really care about which spelling is used - more that I thought you might want to note the inconsistancy. 

Edited by Treamayne
SPAGF

On 11/17/2022 at 0:04 AM, duladen said:

I wondered about this as well! I listened to the book, so this is the only one I caught. 

TLM US hardcover first edition chapter 32, page 225: 

"Don't suppose you can send for him?" she sounded hopeful. 

"she sounded hopeful" isn't a verb, and therefore to my knowledge cannot be a dialogue tag, meaning 'she' here should be capitalized. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found a couple instances of 'newspaper' being used instead of 'broadsheet' in TLM, so I went back and checked some other books too. Only found two so far. I don't have the leatherbounds so this first one may be fixed by now, but I figured no harm in reporting it. 

Alloy of Law US mass market paperback chapter 3, page 64: 

Metals in two cases, foodstuffs in another case - at least, that was all the newspaper reported. 

Arcanum Unbounded US hardcover, Allomancer Jak and the Pits of Eltania, page 187 (footnotes): 

This, of course, did not stop the newspaper editors from including a detailed sketch of this scene in their original printing of the episode. 

This one is right next to a footnote that says 'broadsheet' instead, so I assume it's a mistake rather than a choice on Handerwym's part. :P Now for the ones that sent me on my search! 

The Lost Metal US hardcover first edition chapter 35, page 243: 

Wax nodded to Wayne, and together they dashed out of the newspaper building - Wax pulling Telsin behind him [...] 

The Lost Metal US hardcover first edition chapter 46, page 306: 

"Wayne," he said, holding up the incriminating letter they'd gotten from the newspaper editor. "This is a forgery." 

The Lost Metal US hardcover first edition chapter 50, page 338: 

That was...yes, she was a major newspaper owner, wasn't she? [...] It was a newspaper that had been sympathetic to Elendel interests. 

The Lost Metal US hardcover first edition chapter 29, page 202: 

"I know Lord Entrone. He takes a great deal of pride in how 'modern' and 'forward thinking' he is." 

Since it is an adjective here, should this be 'forward-thinking' with a hyphen? 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We are making AonEne's first two changes and Yezrien's. Raziel's and duladen's are on purpose. I'm also reporting the ebook space issues.

Brandon almost always types "grey." When Warbreaker came out, Tor forgot to change all of them to "gray." So ever since then we've said that's Brandon's official style. Earlier books with "gray" are being changed.

Newspaper isn't a mistake—broadsheets are newspapers. "forward thinking" only needs a hyphen before a noun. And "had proved" is more common in than "had proven"; both are correct.

Edited by PeterAhlstrom

7 hours ago, PeterAhlstrom said:

And "had proved" is more common in than "had proven"; both are correct.

Thank you very much. Checked Wiktionary after your post and saw their note:

Spoiler

Historically, proved is the older form, while proven arose as a Scottish variant – see etymology. Used in legal writing from the mid-17th century, it entered literary usage more slowly, only becoming significant in the 19th century, with the poet Alfred, Lord Tennyson among the earliest frequent users (presumably for reasons of meter).[2] In the 19th century, proven was widely discouraged, and remained significantly less common through the mid-20th century (proved being used approximately four times as often); by the late 20th century it came to be used about equally often in US English.[2]

As an attributive adjective, proven is much[2][3] more commonly used,[1] and proved is widely considered an error

I was starting to think it was part of the NY Publishing pogrom* on irregular verbs. I can't recall the last time I saw "lit," "snuck," or "dove" in a mainstream mass market book.

*totally my term, and while I don't think there is any actual "conspiracy" I do often wonder if it is the authors avoiding irregular conjugations, or editorial direction that changes them.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 10:29 PM, Raziel said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f9021b7b77622551P. 452 of Hardcover US release 

Wayne says to Harmony “there’s this family what doesn’t have a daddy…” shouldn’t it be “that” and not “what” unless this is just Wayne talk?

Wayne uses what for that a lot, it is actually a thing in real dialects. So, as Peter says, totally intentional. 

• 7 months later...

Potential continuity error caught by u/NKMEstadullo on Reddit, regarding where Wayne shot Telsin at the end of Bands of Mourning:

In BoM:

"Yeah", Wayne said, cocking the shotgun. "About that." He lowered the barrel to her face and fired.

In TLM:

Last time they’d seen Telsin, she had betrayed them to the Set. She’d nearly gotten Wax killed, and in return Wayne had fired a shotgun blast at her chest.