Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron remained unresponsive, breath shallow. Suddenly, someone knelt down next to Haly.

It was the boy.

"TAAron, are you okay? What happened?" The boy didn't even seem to notice Haly. He began struggling to lift TAAron, as though to drag him away to the town nearby.

Haly gently lifted TAAron from the boy to walk toward the town. She glanced back, wondering if the boy could see her or not.

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Haly gently lifted TAAron from the boy to walk toward the town. She glanced back, wondering if the boy could see her or not.

"Woah." The boy blinked, looking confused. "Where did you come from? Who are you? I don't recognize you from the town."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Woah." The boy blinked, looking confused. "Where did you come from? Who are you? I don't recognize you from the town."

“I’m… not important.” Haly glanced up at the sky and then down at TAAron’s face. “We’d better hurry.” 

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff

“I’m… not important.” Haly glanced up at the sky. “We’d better hurry.” She glanced down at TAAron’s face.

"I... why are you out here? There's a storm! Is anyone else outside, because they need to go in." Softly, but still barely audibly, the boy continued, "If that thing can take Tors, who knows what it might do when it gets here."

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"I... why are you out here? There's a storm! Is anyone else outside, because they need to go in." Softly, but still barely audibly, the boy continued, "If that thing can take Tors, who knows what it might do when it gets here."

Take Tors… “I don’t think anyone else is out here, no. What happened to Tors?”

Take Tors… “I don’t think anyone else is out here, no. What happened to Tors?”

"What?" The boy looked taken aback. "How do you know Tors? What's you name? I don't think Bonum mentioned a middleworlder as one of his people."

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"What?" The boy looked taken aback. "How do you know Tors? What's you name? I don't think Bonum mentioned a middleworlder as one of his people."

“Tors is a friend. My name is Haly. I don’t know Bonum, and I have no idea what a middleworlder is. Is TAAron going to be okay?”

“Tors is a friend. My name is Haly. I don’t know Bonum, and I have no idea what a middleworlder is. Is TAAron going to be okay?”

"I'm Tristan. And I have no idea if he's going to be okay! So you know Tors? Who is she, then?" Tristan looked suspicious, clearly uncertain that she was telling the truth.

They were nearly at the edges of the town.

"I'm Tristan. And I have no idea if he's going to be okay! So you know Tors? Who is she, then?" Tristan looked suspicious, clearly uncertain that she was telling the truth.

They were nearly at the edges of the town.

Haly debated between being vague, telling some truth, and not telling any truth at all. “She’s a trident who talks to my mind. And Wynn’s, and TAAron’s. She’s really great.” She Found a marshmallow up in the air and caught it with her mouth.

Haly debated between being vague, telling some truth, and not telling any truth at all. “She’s a trident who talks to my mind. And Wynn’s, and TAAron’s. She’s really great.” She Found a marshmallow up in the air and caught it with her mouth.

"I..." Tristan now looked even more confused. "Tors can speak to TAAron? I asked her if she could, but she always said she couldn't. I always felt like she was lying, though. And who's Wynn?" They entered the town, and Tristan looked into house windows as they went by. "That's funny. I don't see anyone."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"I..." Tristan now looked even more confused. "Tors can speak to TAAron? I asked her if she could, but she always said she couldn't. I always felt like she was lying, though. And who's Wynn?" They entered the town, and Tristan looked into house windows as they went by. "That's funny. I don't see anyone."

Haly bit her lip. “Wynn is a friend.” She peeked through some windows herself, but found nothing. “Tristan…” she struggled with herself, but couldn’t find the words.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Haly bit her lip. “Wynn is a friend.” She peeked through some windows herself, but found nothing. “Tristan…” she struggled with herself, but couldn’t find the words.

"What? What is it?" The boy sounded remarkably like TAAron, only younger. He kept looking into windows. "Malum curse it! Well, I guess he already has..."

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

"What? What is it?" The boy sounded remarkably like TAAron, only younger. He kept looking into windows. "Malum curse it! Well, I suppose he already has..."

“I…” I need to go find Nameless so he can find a leftover magic signature. Then we can go save TAAron. “I need to leave. I have a lot of things that need to get done, and if I don’t hurry…”

I best turn in. Bye!

“I…” I need to go find Nameless so he can find a leftover magic signature. Then we can go save TAAron. “I need to leave. I have a lot of things that need to get done, and if I don’t hurry…”

"What? You're leaving? What about TAAron? He needs help!"

Ok, bye!

1 hour ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"What? You're leaving? What about TAAron? He needs help!"

It’s just a dream, it’s just a dream…

Of course, this dream somehow persists, even though he’s out.

Haly sighed. “I can stay for a little bit, but we have to hurry.”

13 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

It’s just a dream, it’s just a dream…

Of course, this dream somehow persists, even though he’s out.

Haly sighed. “I can stay for a little bit, but we have to hurry.”

"Okay, okay. I can't find anyone for some reason. Maybe they've evacuated? I don't think we'll be able to make it to the city. Oh, no." Tristan began hyperventilating. "What have I done? What have I..." He sank to his knees. "Maybe you should go. Save yourself while you can."

Suddenly, TAAron's form began to glow, becoming brighter and brighter until he disappeared in a flash of light.

"No! What happened?"

TAAron woke up. If you have a different idea of how that should look let me know.

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

Wynn didn't have a lot of soul left to work with, but it was pretty easy to find a part to use.

"Bye bye, kitty."

The memory of her duel with Wizard and subsequent cat cuddle session was pleasant, but not the most important thing inscribed on her soul. The magic itself only took a second to perform. With a sudden jolt, Wynn was awake.

The coffin's lid came off surprisingly easily. Around her was grayness. Not evil or frightening like she had expected. Just sad and empty, like a deflated balloon. 

Now, to find out where she was supposed to go. Wynn had never actually understood that part of the plan. In hindsight, she should've checked. Oh well. At least she wasn't trapped in a nightmare anymore. 

TAAron was awake. In pain, but awake. Every part of him tingled painfully as though he had been shocked.

He sat in his little prison, wishing he was back in his dream with Haly. Had she even been real? He couldn't be sure. She had certainly seemed real. Despite his bleak circumstances, he smiled to himself at the memory of seeing her.

Slowly, carefully, he stood up. To his relief, he apparently wasn't being taken over yet like he had been last time. He took the opportunity to examine his surroundings. He was trapped in a segment of hallway of what looked like some sort of office building, albeit extremely plain. The walls were blank, the insides of the few rooms available completely empty.

What can I use? He had very little on him, only his bag with all of its metals that were useless to him. The only other things in the bag were various pieces of junk, like marshmallows and... the card that Wynn had given him. He took it out, unsure of what it could do or how to use it.

What would activate the card?

@Ookla the Obstinate

7 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron was awake. In pain, but awake. Every part of him tingled painfully as though he had been shocked.

He sat in his little prison, wishing he was back in his dream with Haly. Had she even been real? He couldn't be sure. She had certainly seemed real. Despite his bleak circumstances, he smiled to himself at the memory of seeing her.

Slowly, carefully, he stood up. To his relief, he apparently wasn't being taken over yet like he had been last time. He took the opportunity to examine his surroundings. He was trapped in a segment of hallway of what looked like some sort of office building, albeit extremely plain. The walls were blank, the insides of the few rooms available completely empty.

What can I use? He had very little on him, only his bag with all of its metals that were useless to him. The only other things in the bag were various pieces of junk, like marshmallows and... the card that Wynn had given him. He took it out, unsure of what it could do or how to use it.

@Ookla the Obstinate

Yes. It works better when he directly asks it for help, but it can sense when it's needed to a certain degree. Because it doesn't have a human mouth, Ranryu can't talk. At this point, it doesn't know how to communicate telepathically.

The card shimmered in TAAron's hand.

A small snakelike dragon appeared floating in front of him. It hissed a greeting.

22 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Woah! Uh, hello? Who are you?"

The dragon poked the card with its tail, then draped itself around TAAron's shoulders. Static electricity from its scales made his hair poof up.

Ranryu in this state isn't able to do very much without being directly commanded. It would become more powerful and self-aware with a magic source of some kind.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

The dragon poked the card with its tail, then draped itself around TAAron's shoulders. Static electricity from its scales made his hair poof up.

Ah. Unfortunately, TAAron can't really channel magic without causing soul damage. Not would be take know to do that.

"Huh. Hey, think you could help me get out of here? I'm kind of in a bad situation. At any point, I could start getting taken over by some external force."

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Huh. Hey, think you could help me get out of here? I'm kind of in a bad situation. At any point, I could start getting taken over by some external force."

Ranryu nuzzled TAAron's cheek and looked at him inquisitively. Electricity sparked on its wings.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Obstinate said:

Ranryu nuzzled TAAron's cheek and looked at him inquisitively. Electricity sparked on its wings.

TAAron frowned slightly. "Can you understand me?" He looked down at the card, reading it.

What's it say?

The card text only pertains to duels, for the most part. Ranryu can manipulate weather and electricity, if you want to use that. Do you want TAAron to escape right now, or did you have something else in mind?

Spoiler

rira-en026_1.png

The little dragon snorted, snout sparking. It slithered off of TAAron's shoulders and began sniffing the floor.