Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Untitled said:

"I found a strange man, who told odd stories about other world's he'd visited. After some convincing, he took me on as an apprentice."

Lerac's expression changed form serious to a wide grin. "Odd. I seem to recall something about a 'Black Tower." He laughed. "I'm no fool, friend."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

Lerac's expression changed form serious to a wide grin. "Odd. I seem to recall something about a 'Black Tower." He laughed. "I'm no fool, friend."

"You've got to admit. I had you up until I started talking about my 'mentor'. You totally bought that my entire family was killed."

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Untitled said:

"You've got to admit. I had you up until I started talking about my 'mentor'. You totally bought that my entire family was killed."

"No, actually. Because you just told me not try mess with your feelings, and you're not a fool either."

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Untitled said:

"Sure, sure. I believe you."

Does he really? Because Lerac is telling the truth.

"Well, if you won't talk to me about your feelings, you could at least talk about what kind of stuff we'll be encountering here. And, why did you ask me earlier if can sing?"

Edited by Ookla the Inverted
quotation mark

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Well, if you won't talk to me about your feelings, you could at least talk about what kind of stuff we'll be encountering here. And, why did you ask me earlier if can sing?

Of course he believes him.:ph34r:

"Because the Finn are weak to music."

18 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"You... are the kindest, most loyal, most accepting person I've ever known. As soon as I met you, I knew I wanted to be your friend. And... It's still hard for me to believe that you wanted to be mine. And as much as you worry me by refusing to back down, I'm glad that you stayed with me, because I never want to leave you." He took a deep breath, and continued. "And sometimes... I want to be... something more than your friend."

Immediately, he looked away, face red and embarrassed.

For my reply! 

The spoiler box is the long version.

It’s just kinda long. But I decided to be nice.

So for those of you who just need the general idea, skip past it (or don’t, I don’t care. Do as you please). 

Anyway, yeah.

Long version:

Spoiler

The world stopped completely, brought to a standstill by the force of her shock. 

What did he say? I heard him wrong. I must have heard him wrong. No, no, that’s what he said! ‘I never want to leave you’. ‘More than your friend’. 

Haly forced herself to breathe again. Well, maybe that means something different on his home world. Like some sort of tag team or something.

She knew that it could be nothing of the nature, but somehow, she was just so scared to believe, lest… lest he actually somehow mean something different, or lest he was being controlled by Malum, which, she conceded, was almost certainly not the case. Lest. What a funny word, when you say it so much. So old fashioned, but with so many possible uses that she found it indispensable no matter who she was talking to or on what topic. 

A laugh-hiccup escaped her. Was she really thinking about a word like ‘lest’, when her world had just changed? TAAron cared, and he cared for her the way she cared for him. And she was thinking about ‘lest’? She felt at once like giggling at her silly thoughts and hiding from them under a giant pillow to contemplate the actualness of the matter at hand. After all, if she didn’t think carefully about her next words, she’d probably say something less than perfect, like a squeaky, stick-in-her-throat “Really?”

It took her a moment to realize that she’d actually said that aloud. The revaluation brought with it a flush to her cheeks. “I mean, me too. If you mean what I think you mean.” Her thoughts snowballed out as words. “If you mean like as some special kind of friends who always fight together or something, that’s not what I mean at all. I mean, that would be great, but that’s not what I mean. I mean like… like…” Fizzling out, she regained control of her thoughts. “You know what I mean. Like, like. Like Emma and Calano. Is… that’s what you mean, right?” Hopefully, she looked up at him. 

Shorter version:

Haly sat in shock for a moment, laugh-hiccuped, and squeaked, “Really?” Then she reddened. “I mean, me too. If you mean what I think you mean. If you mean like as some special kind of friends who always fight together or something, that’s not what I mean at all. I mean, that would be great, but that’s not what I mean. I mean like… like…” She took a breath before continuing. You know what I mean. Like, like. Like Emma and Calano. Is… that’s what you mean, right?” She looked hopefully up at him.

I’m probably overreacting but WHEEEEE

35 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Long version:

Reveal hidden contents

The world stopped completely, brought to a standstill by the force of her shock. 

What did he say? I heard him wrong. I must have heard him wrong. No, no, that’s what he said! ‘I never want to leave you’. ‘More than your friend’. 

Haly forced herself to breathe again. Well, maybe that means something different on his home world. Like some sort of tag team or something.

She knew that it could be nothing of the nature, but somehow, she was just so scared to believe, lest… lest he actually somehow mean something different, or lest he was being controlled by Malum, which, she conceded, was almost certainly not the case. Lest. What a funny word, when you say it so much. So old fashioned, but with so many possible uses that she found it indispensable no matter who she was talking to or on what topic. 

A laugh-hiccup escaped her. Was she really thinking about a word like ‘lest’, when her world had just changed? TAAron cared, and he cared for her the way she cared for him. And she was thinking about ‘lest’? She felt at once like giggling at her silly thoughts and hiding from them under a giant pillow to contemplate the actualness of the matter at hand. After all, if she didn’t think carefully about her next words, she’d probably say something less than perfect, like a squeaky, stick-in-her-throat “Really?”

It took her a moment to realize that she’d actually said that aloud. The revaluation brought with it a flush to her cheeks. “I mean, me too. If you mean what I think you mean.” Her thoughts snowballed out as words. “If you mean like as some special kind of friends who always fight together or something, that’s not what I mean at all. I mean, that would be great, but that’s not what I mean. I mean like… like…” Fizzling out, she regained control of her thoughts. “You know what I mean. Like, like. Like Emma and Calano. Is… that’s what you mean, right?” Hopefully, she looked up at him. 

Shorter version:

Haly sat in shock for a moment, laugh-hiccuped, and squeaked, “Really?” Then she reddened. “I mean, me too. If you mean what I think you mean. If you mean like as some special kind of friends who always fight together or something, that’s not what I mean at all. I mean, that would be great, but that’s not what I mean. I mean like… like…” She took a breath before continuing. You know what I mean. Like, like. Like Emma and Calano. Is… that’s what you mean, right?” She looked hopefully up at him.

Wynn watched their exchange from a distance. Even with Lerac's meddling, it all worked out as it should.

Now if only I could have my deck back, everything would be perfect.

50 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Long version:

Reveal hidden contents

Shorter version:

TAAron's mind began racing. Does she really feel the same? She couldn't possibly... But she said, like Calano and Emma.

"Yes. Yeah, that's what I mean."

12 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron's mind began racing. Does she really feel the same? She couldn't possibly... But she said, like Calano and Emma.

"Yes. Yeah, that's what I mean."

She swallowed. “I don’t believe you. Actually, I do. I think. I don’t know.” She laughed. “Ignore me. I can’t talk.”

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

She swallowed. “I don’t believe you. Actually, I do. I think. I don’t know.” She laughed. “Ignore me. I can’t talk.”

TAAron's face fell. "I mean, if you don't really feel that way, you don't have to pretend that you're unsure." He spoke rapidly and nervously.

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron's face fell. "I mean, if you don't really feel that way, you don't have to pretend that you're unsure." He spoke rapidly and nervously.

“No! No, no. It’s not like… I do, I swear. And… you do too, then? For real.” She laughed again. “I can’t believe it.”

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“No! No, no. It’s not like… I do, I swear. And… you do too, then? For real.” She laughed again. “I can’t believe it.”

"Yes, I do. But then... then why did you say you didn't believe me?"

Wynn gave the lovebirds some privacy. Besides, meditation was supposed to increase soul regeneration speed. Of course, Wynn didn't get a chance to try.

Hey kid. Purple sounded guilty.

You lost my deck, didn't you?

Purple sighed. At least the cards aren't destroyed. They fell into a vortex when I was being chased by a Moundbot. 

What were you doing in the Mound? That place's a lost cause. Wynn held her irritation in check. Last time you lost my cards, it took me centuries to find them all. Wanna bet that this time it'll take longer?

Hey, at least I didn't break your runner again-

Don't remind me.

You were too young to remember, but the Mound was paradise. If we found a way to restore it, everything could go back to the way it was.

The Aos Si would never learn. You're dead. No matter how you try- how much you extort my Shadow Magic, things will never be how they were. You essentially killed Ranryu. I'm not letting you mess this quest up any further. Good bye. Wynn shut Purple out, blocking further communication.

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“I…” Quietly, she said, “It’s too good to believe.”

The smile began returning to his face. "Well, believe it. It shouldn't be too hard to fathom, someone like you. I still don't understand why you would care at all about... Am I still unconscious? Is that what this is? I must be, right?" He looked around as though trying to find proof of a dream, suddenly deflating in emotion.

2 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

The smile began returning to his face. "Well, believe it. It shouldn't be too hard to fathom, someone like you. I still don't understand why you would care at all about... Am I still unconscious? Is that what this is? I must be, right?" He looked around as though trying to find proof of a dream, suddenly deflating in emotion.

Haly wanted to see him smile again. She reached out and grabbed his hand. “No, TAAron. If this is a dream, it’s me who’s dreaming it.”

2 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Haly wanted to see him smile again. She reached out and grabbed his hand. “No, TAAron. If this is a dream, it’s me who’s dreaming it.”

He gripped her hand tightly. "It could just be my soul damage again. I'm probably still asleep, I..." He turned to her, looking desperate. "Can you... prove that this is real, somehow?"

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

He gripped her hand tightly. "It could just be my soul damage again. I'm probably still asleep, I..." He turned to her, looking desperate. "Can you... prove that this is real, somehow?"

She looked around uncertainly. “I… I don’t know. I want to, so badly. I just don’t know how.” Her eyes welled up. “I’m sorry.”

3 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

She looked around uncertainly. “I… I don’t know. I want to, so badly. I just don’t know how.” Her eyes welled up. “I’m sorry.”

He looked into her eyes searchingly. "Why? Why do you... feel that way? About me, specifically."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

He looked into her eyes searchingly. "Why? Why do you... feel that way? About me, specifically."

“Because you’re the best person I’ve ever met.” The words came easily, and she wiped a tear off her cheek.

Just now, Ookla the Myopic said:

YOU WEREN'T INVITED.

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“Because you’re the best person I’ve ever met.” The words came easily, and she wiped a tear off her cheek.

That's vague. As much as TAAron wanted to stay in the moment, he felt himself withdrawing to the logical part of his brain. The part that was telling him it was all a lie.

After all, why wouldn't it be? How couldn't it be?

He released her hand and sat back, eyes still locked on hers.