Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

"No! You can't do that! Not for me."

Lerac stood back, looking solemn.

I've already explained this to you. I have failed. This is the best thing I can do.

Just now, Ranryu said:

But who knows what that will do to you?

Wynn thought for a second. "What if we each gave a little? Combined, it would equal in value, but nobody would lose as much overall. Would that be acceptable?"

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“What!” Haly gasped. “But you’re our most powerful person!” She took a deep breath, trying to hold down the tidal wave of emotion before it became… something else.

Then it clicked. “I should give away my Finding. It’s been nothing but trouble anyway,” she offered, trying to keep the quiver out of her voice.

"No. None of you should give up anything. It's my fault that TAAron's soul got so badly damaged in the first place. If I'd been quicker to see what was wrong, to find him, none of this would've happened. And Haly, you just need a little more time to learn control of your powers. You'll master them in time." No Tors, it is not. You will live to see Malum's destruction, and I will not hear you say otherwise.

TAAron shook his head vehemently. "No. None of you... none of you can do that. I'll think of something to offer."

"No! No, Haly. We can work that out. You aren't giving that up."

Just now, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"No. None of you should give up anything. It's my fault that TAAron's soul got so badly damaged in the first place. If I'd been quicker to see what was wrong, to find him, none of this would've happened. And Haly, you just need a little more time to learn control of your powers. You'll master them in time." No Tors, it is not. You will live to see Malum's destruction, and I will not hear you say otherwise.

“And what if I don’t? What then? Next time I might kill you all! It might… it might kill me.” She took a breath, trying to keep the tears down. “It’s uncontrollable. If you felt it you’d know. This is… I think this is the best thing for me right now.” 

TAAron shook his head vehemently. "No. None of you... none of you can do that. I'll think of something to offer."

"No! No, Haly. We can work that out. You aren't giving that up."

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“And what if I don’t? What then? Next time I might kill you all! It might… it might kill me.” She took a breath, trying to keep the tears down. “It’s uncontrollable. If you felt it you’d know. This is… I think this is the best thing for me right now.” 

"You aren't listening! We could all give to a lesser degree- it would be better in the long run! Quit that stupid heroism! Nameless, we need your powers if we ever want to get back to the clinic. TAAron, stop being an idiot your idea makes no sense. Haly, you have a gift- you can't just give it away! Control will come with practice, but this is not a viable solution! Think about it guys! This could work."

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

"All you did was try to save me, Nameless. You did the best you could. It's not your fault, it's mine."

Tors hummed angrily, filling the room with an earsplitting ringing noise.

No. Let me do this. You can't give up your powers, we'll be stranded!

Just now, Ranryu said:

"You aren't listening! We could all give to a lesser degree- it would be better in the long run! Quit that stupid heroism! Nameless, we need your powers if we ever want to get back to the clinic. TAAron, stop being an idiot your idea makes no sense. Haly, you have a gift- you can't just give it away! Control will come with practice, but this is not a viable solution! Think about it guys! This could work."

TAAron shook his head again. "I don't think they'd let us do something that didn't really hurt anyone. I could give up something, just let me think.

Wynn, I'm doing it.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"All you did was try to save me, Nameless. You did the best you could. It's not your fault, it's mine."

TAAron shook his head again. "I don't think they'd let us do something that didn't really hurt anyone. I could give up something, just let me think.

Wynn, I'm doing it.

“I’m scared of what will happen if I keep Finding,” Haly said quietly. “It’s the best option.”

4 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

"Haly, I know how you feel. Until recently, using saidin was literally driving me insane. And I could not stop myself from using it. For thousands of years, every single male channeler went insane and died, invariably. If they didn't take everyone nearby with them, they were lucky.

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"We'll make that part of the deal. They cure TAAron and send us home, in exchange for my powers."

"I could have done more. I should have done more." NO! I won't let you commit suicide out of misplaced guilt. It's not happeningperiod. Got it?

1 minute ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Haly, I know how you feel. Until recently, using saidin was literally driving me insane. And I could not stop myself from using it. For thousands of years, every single male channeler went insane and died, invariably. If they didn't take everyone nearby with them, they were lucky.

“Every single one died? How is that supposed to help anything?” Haly turned to the Finn. “You have my offer.”

I’m just staying true to the character. She doesn’t have to go through with this.

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff

Wynn, I'm doing it.

"It would hurt everyone! It would just be something we could recover from instead of being ruined for life. We should at least see if they'll accept it!"

No. Absolutely not! Don't make me waste soul on restraining you!

"We'll make that part of the deal. They cure TAAron and send us home, in exchange for my powers."

"No! How could that affect you? I know only a little, but it'd be terrible for you, wouldn't it? IT'S NOT WORTH IT STOP TRYING TO BE A HERO!"

"Haly, I know how you feel. Until recently, using saidin was literally driving me insane. And I could not stop myself from using it. For thousands of years, every single male channeler went insane and died, invariably. If they didn't take everyone nearby with them, they were lucky.

"I could have done more. I should have done more." NO! I won't let you commit suicide out of misplaced guilt. It's not happeningperiod. Got it?

Don't think of it as suicide. I'm not really a person, anyways. I'm just a weapon that failed its use.

“Every single one died? How is that supposed to help anything?” Haly turned to the Finn. “You have my offer.”

TAAron grabbed her arm. "No! No you don't!"

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

"It would hurt everyone! It would just be something we could recover from instead of being ruined for life. We should at least see if they'll accept it!"

"No! How could that affect you? I know only a little, but it'd be terrible for you, wouldn't it? IT'S NOT WORTH IT STOP TRYING TO BE A HERO!"

Tors laughed sadly.

You can't restrain me, Wynn. Please, tell the Finn my decision.

Don't think of it as suicide. I'm not really a person, anyways. I'm just a weapon that failed its use.

Tors laughed sadly.

“Why not!” Haly tugged away and faced the Finn again.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

"No, don't listen to her. Take my powers, my channeling."

3 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"I'd recover." Nameless hesitated. "Probably. I'm sure the clinic would help me."

You are not a weapon. You are a person.

The Finn watched the proceedings impassively. "You wish to give us the soul of a godkilling blade, the powers of this channeler, and a portion of the powers of this young woman?"

Tors laughed sadly.

It was too much for Wynn.

"EVERYONE STOP TRYING TO SACRIFICE THEMSELVES!!"

The air pressure in the room dropped. Wynn took a breath, trying to calm herself.

"Let's not be hasty about this. If we take the time to find the best solution, then we won't end up doing things we might not live to regret." She gave everyone a hard glare. "Understood?"

2 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“Why not!” Haly tugged away and faced the Finn again.

"No! I..." Suddenly, TAAron went from sounding panicked to deadly serious. "I will give up my memory."

"I'd recover." Nameless hesitated. "Probably. I'm sure the clinic would help me."

The Finn watched the proceedings impassively. "You wish to give us the soul of a godkilling blade, the powers of this channeler, and a portion of the powers of this young woman?"

I am a weapon. It is what I was created for.

Lerac was spinning his dagger behind the group. Addressing the Finn, he said, "Calm yourself. We aren't offering all of it."

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

It was too much for Wynn.

"EVERYONE STOP TRYING TO SACRIFICE THEMSELVES!!"

The air pressure in the room dropped. Wynn took a breath, trying to calm herself.

"Let's not be hasty about this. If we take the time to find the best solution, then we won't end up doing things we might not live to regret." She gave everyone a hard glare. "Understood?"

"No," TAAron said simply. "Finn, I would like to give up my memory."

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

“No! Just mine. Only mine.” Haly was getting frantic. 

“It probably is for the best,” Sykel muttered.

"No! I..." Suddenly, TAAron went from sounding panicked to deadly serious. "I will give up my memory."

Lerac was spinning his dagger behind the group. Addressing the Finn, he said, "Calm yourself. We aren't offering all of it."

“NO!” Haly screamed. She grabbed TAAron. “No, no, no!”

I LIKE this memory idea! One vote in TAArons favor.

“No! Just mine. Only mine.” Haly was getting frantic. 

“It probably is for the best,” Sykel muttered.

“NO!” Haly screamed. She grabbed TAAron. “No, no, no!”

TAAron shook her off coldly. "What do you say, Finn?"

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn facepalmed. 

"Idiot. You can only give things that belong to you."

What are the rules for that?

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

Haly stumbled back, still a little weak and more than a little shocked. “TAAron… please don’t do anything stupid.”

It was too late for that. Offering your memory definitely counted.

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff

Haly stumbled back, still a little weak and more than a little shocked. “TAAron… please don’t do anything stupid.”

It was too late for that. Offering your memory definitely counted.

TAAron turned to her. A flash of fear and desperation passed over his face, only to be covered once again by a stony expression.

"No! I won't allow it. Not happening, TAAron." No Tors. You can be more than what you were created to be.

The Finn looked deeply into TAAron's eyes. "You come from another world, yes?" They whispered among themselves for a time, before one of them stepped forwards. "You have memories of these worlds, of travelling beyond the Pattern?"

Wynn punched TAAron in the stomach. 

"No. No. No. No."

She turned to Nameless.

"That goes for you too. Do I need to punch you to get my point through?"

And you, Tors. We need you to fight Malum. You can't abandon us no matter how appealing it seems.

"No! I won't allow it. Not happening, TAAron." No Tors. You can be more than what you were created to be.

The Finn looked deeply into TAAron's eyes. "You come from another world, yes?" They whispered among themselves for a time, before one of them stepped forwards. "You have memories of these worlds, of travelling beyond the Pattern?"

"Yes. I do."

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

Wynn punched TAAron in the stomach. 

"No. No. No. No."

She turned to Nameless.

"That goes for you too. Do I need to punch you to get my point through?"

And you, Tors. We need you to fight Malum. You can't abandon us no matter how appealing it seems.

TAAron flinched at the punch, but it seemed Malum was not letting go this time.

Haly paled. “Malum? Malum, you can’t do that! You can’t do this.”

A sharp pain pierced Haly's head, like it did when Tors had been bonding with her. A purely evil voice spoke.

Oh, but I can. Goodbye, halcyon.

"Yes. I do."

A sharp pain pierced Haly's head, like it did when Tors had been bonding with her. A purely evil voice spoke.

Oh, but I can. Goodbye, halcyon.

“You can’t!” She screamed, jumping up and shoving Malum. “You can’t! I won’t let you! Take mine,” she begged the Finn. “Don’t let him do this to him!”

Nononononono.

Wynn addressed the Finn. "Excuse us for a second, would you?"

Turning to TAAron, her face cleared, now utterly devoid of emotion.

"Malum, I challenge you to a Shadow Game."