Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ranryu said:

Nononononono.

Wynn addressed the Finn. "Excuse us for a second, would you?"

Turning to TAAron, her face cleared, now utterly devoid of emotion.

"Malum, I challenge you to a Shadow Game."

Sykel pulled her away. “This isn’t going to help. Stop it.”

Just now, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

The Finn smiled wickedly. "You offer us your memories, of your own free will?"

No! Please, no!” 

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

No! Please, no!” 

The Finn ignored her, focusing solely on TAAron.

Nameless lunged to grab TAAron, but two Finn warriors grabbed him, and his ability to touch the Power was yet again blocked. "Please! Don't do this. You can't!"

2 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Sykel pulled her away. “This isn’t going to help. Stop it.”

Wynn deflated.

"If he doesn't accept, it doesn't matter anyway. It's... it's inevitable, isn't it."

I'll make Malum pay. By the Twin Roads, I'll destroy him. No one denies the Shadow Realm for long.

1 minute ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

The Finn ignored her, focusing solely on TAAron.

Nameless lunged to grab TAAron, but two Finn warriors grabbed him, and his ability to touch the Power was yet again blocked. "Please! Don't do this. You can't!"

“Stop it,” Haly begged. “He’s being controlled! TAAron, wake up! Take all my powers. All of them! Take my connection to Nayo. Take anything!”

7 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Nononononono.

Wynn addressed the Finn. "Excuse us for a second, would you?"

Turning to TAAron, her face cleared, now utterly devoid of emotion.

"Malum, I challenge you to a Shadow Game."

TAAron cocked his head at her. "No."

7 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

The Finn smiled wickedly. "You offer us your memories, of your own free will?"

"Yes, I do."

“Stop it,” Haly begged. “He’s being controlled! TAAron, wake up! Take all my powers. All of them! Take my connection to Nayo. Take anything!”

TAAron's eyes widened. "...Haly?"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Yes, I do."

"Then the deal is accepted. Our bond is made. Step forth, and we shall take payment." The Finn arranged themselves in an open semicircle, facing TAAron.

Edited by UnfortunatelyNamed

“Tell them it’s off!” She panicked. “Tell them no! TAAron, he’s making you give up your memories. Tell them no!” 

TAAron looked momentarily confused. "What? No, I..."

"Then the deal is accepted. Our bond is made. Step forth, and we shall take payment."

Slowly, as though fighting some force, TAAron stepped forward.

"Then the deal is accepted. Our bond is made. Step forth, and we shall take payment." The Finn arranged themselves in an open semicircle, facing TAAron.

“Stop! No! It wasn’t him!” Haly grabbed TAAron protectively, tears streaming down her face. “Leave him alone. Take mine instead.”

Wynn closed her eyes. So this was what failure felt like. It seemed familiar. 

And now everything's come full circle. Funny. I wonder if it hurt as bad the first time. 

She honed her anger until it was burning cold. Nothing can save Malum now.

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn closed her eyes. So this was what failure felt like. It seemed familiar. 

And now everything's come full circle. Funny. I wonder if it hurt as bad the first time. 

She honed her anger until it was burning cold. Nothing can save Malum now.

Sykel stepped back from her, satisfied. This was an okay ending. Evalyn would get over it—she always did. And then the betrothal might work out, and Basilica would be safe.

A good day.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“Stop! No! It wasn’t him!” Haly grabbed TAAron protectively, tears streaming down her face. “Leave him alone. Take mine instead.”

Several Finn in armor grab Haly, forcing her to release TAAron and dragging her over to Nameless.

5 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Slowly, as though fighting some force, TAAron stepped forward.

One of the Eelfinn steps forward, placing a clawed hand on TAAron's head. Leaning in close, it whispers to TAAron. "Yes, our bargain is made. Malum. You think us easy to manipulate? We shall have the knowledge of a god alongside that of a mortal." The Finn laugh, a terrible sound, and pain shoots through TAAron as his memories begin to be taken.

Several Finn in armor grab Haly, forcing her to release TAAron and dragging her over to Nameless.

One of the Eelfinn steps forward, placing a clawed hand on TAAron's head. Leaning in close, it whispers to TAAron. "Yes, our bargain is made. Malum. You think us easy to manipulate? We shall have the knowledge of a god alongside that of a mortal." The Finn laughed, a terrible sound, and pain shot through TAAron as his memories began to be taken.

Haly screamed and struggled and cursed everyone present in an unfamiliar language. “TAAron! TAAron…”

One of the Eelfinn steps forward, placing a clawed hand on TAAron's head. Leaning in close, it whispers to TAAron. "Yes, our bargain is made. Malum. You think us easy to manipulate? We shall have the knowledge of a god alongside that of a mortal." The Finn laughed, a terrible sound, and pain shot through TAAron as his memories began to be taken.

TAAron smiled. "I had a suspicion. You can have it, friends." Malum left TAAron, and the scholar fell to his knees from the pain. "No," he said softly. "No. Haly?"

One of the Eelfinn steps forward, placing a clawed hand on TAAron's head. Leaning in close, it whispers to TAAron. "Yes, our bargain is made. Malum. You think us easy to manipulate? We shall have the knowledge of a god alongside that of a mortal." The Finn laugh, a terrible sound, and pain shoots through TAAron as his memories begin to be taken.

Shadows inside Wynn whispered. She forced herself to ignore the Finn.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Sykel stepped back from her, satisfied. This was an okay ending. Evalyn would get over it—she always did. And then the betrothal might work out, and Basilica would be safe.

A good day.

"No." Wynn replied shortly. "The one you intend for her will die if ever you force her to marry."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron smiled. "I had a suspicion. You can have it, friends." Malum left TAAron, and the scholar fell to his knees from the pain. "No," he said softly. "No. Haly?"

She sobbed. “TAAron. I’m sorry. I couldn’t stop it. I thought it might not go this way this time. I’m so sorry. I was wrong.” 

Just now, Ranryu said:

Shadows inside Wynn whispered. She forced herself to ignore the Finn.

"No." Wynn replied shortly. "The one you intend for her will die if ever you force her to marry."

Sykel sighed. “What, so everyone here can suddenly read minds?”

She sobbed. “TAAron. I’m sorry. I couldn’t stop it. I thought it might not go this way this time. I’m so sorry. I was wrong.”

"No, Haly." His voice fell to a near whisper. "I love you."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

The Finn begin humming a strained note as all of TAAron's memories are ripped away. From the doorway into the Chamber, an Aelfinn approaches, holding something made of pure light. This is pressed into TAAron and even as the last of his memories fade, he finally feels the pain from his soul ease, and vanish.

The Finn step back, satisfied. "It is complete. He is healed, and we have our price. Take your leave now, and do not return."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"No, Haly." His voice fell to a near whisper. "I love you."

“I still failed,” she told him quietly. “Nothing’s changed. Nothing.”

The Finn begin humming a strained note as all of TAAron's memories are ripped away. From the doorway into the Chamber, an Aelfinn approaches, holding something made of pure light. This is pressed into TAAron and even as the last of his memories fade, he finally feels the pain from his soul ease, and vanish.

The Finn step back, satisfied. "It is complete. He is healed, and we have our price. Take your leave now, and do not return."

Haly walked over to him and collapsed by him.

Then she sobbed.

Sykel sighed. “What, so everyone here can suddenly read minds?”

"You think to loud, and your Shadow won't shut up. Do you even love your sister? Is she just a pawn to you? There are more important things than your tiny world, and this is one of them. After this, I will come to your world and do whatever it takes to let Haly be free. Do you understand."

It is done. At least he lives. And what is taken can always be regained... for a price.

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Is TAAron unconscious now or something, or is he just there in the room with no memory?

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"You think to loud, and your Shadow won't shut up. Do you even love your sister? Is she just a pawn to you? There are more important things than your tiny world, and this is one of them. After this, I will come to your world and do whatever it takes to let Haly be free. Do you understand."

It is done. At least he lives. And what is taken can always be regained... for a price.

“Chill out,” she sighed. “I’m not going to make her do anything. If she cares about Basilica, she’ll stall him or something.”

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

he's in the room, without memory.

Nameless stood frozen, staring at TAAron and Haly, feeling something inside him breakingI'm no hero. No protagonist. Kaladin wouldn't let something like this happen to his friend. I'm worthless. Storm it, I'm worse than worthless. All I ever do is get people killed, if I'm not killing them myself. I'm a monster, and nothing else.

Breathing heavily, Nameless collapsed to the floor.

That's it for me tonight, I need to get to bed.

7 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“I still failed,” she told him quietly. “Nothing’s changed. Nothing.”

Haly walked over to him and collapsed by him.

Then she sobbed.

TAAron looked at her, confused. "What's going on? Where am I?"

Nameless stood frozen, staring at TAAron and Haly, feeling something inside him breakingI'm no hero. No protagonist. Kaladin wouldn't let something like this happen to his friend. I'm worthless. Storm it, I'm worse than worthless. All I ever do is get people killed, if I'm not killing them myself. I'm a monster, and nothing else.

Lerac looked upon the scene, sighing heavily.

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Sykel sighed. “Will you guys quit it? Everyone loses someone eventually. You. Stop feeling like you’re not good enough. I can read it in your song. Hurry up and get us out of this tower.”

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron looked at her, confused. "What's going on? Where am I?"

Lerac looked upon the scene, sighing heavily.

She started and scrambled away. “No,” she choked. “No.” Then she called to the Finn— “Give him back! Now! Right now! Give him back!” She stilled, then whispered, “Please.”

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff