Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ranryu said:

"Sure. I'm not waiting for you, though. We leave as soon as I get the portal open."

Wynn began tracing a magician's circle into the ground.

Haly jumped up with one last glance at TAAron.

”We don’t have time for this,” Sykel groaned. 

“To the chasms with time!” Haly replied.

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

"I'll come with you." Lerac still looked guilty.

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Wynn finished the circle and it lit up with scarlet energy, becoming a hole in the ground. Before jumping in, she turned to the group.

"Hold your breath until you land, bend your knees, and stay on the path. There's no saving you if you die in the Underworld."

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

Wynn finished the circle and it lit up with scarlet energy, becoming a hole in the ground. Before jumping in, she turned to the group.

"Hold your breath until you land, bend your knees, and stay on the path. There's no saving you if you die in the Underworld."

Perhaps a little too eager, Haly jumped, following all instructions. Sykel muttered something and followed.

1 minute ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Perhaps a little too eager, Haly jumped, following all instructions. Sykel muttered something and followed.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Lerac entered as well.

The four fell down a long, twisting tunnel. After a few minutes, they shot out the end into the Underworld. Dead trees and mist surrounded them. In the distance, a huge castle loomed. Wynn pointed at it.

"That's where we'll find Death. Remember, stay on the path. And don't breathe the mist, it's made of lost souls."

Just now, Ranryu said:

The four fell down a long, twisting tunnel. After a few minutes, they shot out the end into the Underworld. Dead trees and mist surrounded them. In the distance, a huge castle loomed. Wynn pointed at it.

"That's where we'll find Death. Remember, stay on the path. And don't breathe the mist, it's made of lost souls."

Do I get to play Death?

"Interesting," Lerac said nervously. "Well, let's go."

Lost souls… TAAron’s down here, somewhere. She gazed around, a little frightened but also not really.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Interesting," Lerac said nervously. "Well, let's go."

Sure, if you want to. 

3 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Lost souls… TAAron’s down here, somewhere. She gazed around, a little frightened but also not really.

"I'm betting TAAron is in the castle, because of how recently he died." Wynn started walking. "And this time, there will be no argument. I'm the only one capable of paying Death for TAAron's soul."

3 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Ah, sweet sweet irony.

"I'm betting TAAron is in the castle, because of how recently he died." Wynn started walking. "And this time, there will be no argument. I'm the only one capable of paying Death for TAAron's soul."

"What... Are you going to pay?"

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

“That doesn’t sound good,” Sykel muttered.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"What... Are you going to pay?"

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“That doesn’t sound good,” Sykel muttered.

"Even a mid-sized portion of my soul is much more... expansive than a mortal soul. Plus, I can offer Death duel spirits to work for him. It should be enough."

"Even a mid-sized portion of my soul is much more... expansive than a mortal soul. Plus, I can offer Death duel spirits to work for him. It should be enough."

Sykel shrugged. “Careful with your soul. We wouldn’t want you dead.”

Haly agreed, scouring the area for TAAron, though Wynn had said he was at the castle.

Alright, you describe the entrance to the castle, I'll describe Death.

"And what happens to you if you give up a piece of your soul?"

3 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

Sykel shrugged. “Careful with your soul. We wouldn’t want you dead.”

Haly agreed, scouring the area for TAAron, though Wynn had said he was at the castle.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"And what happens to you if you give up a piece of your soul?"

"Same thing that happens when I use Shadow Magic, just a hundred times more draining. It would be like I haven't just taken an energy bath. Nothing I won't recover from eventually." Probably.

Death's castle grew closer. A rough rock wall protected the building, with a single gate made from ebony providing an entrance. Behind the wall, a huge set of double doors towered, even that overshadowed by enormous spires that seemed to go up forever.

"Same thing that happens when I use Shadow Magic, just a hundred times more draining. It would be like I haven't just taken an energy bath. Nothing I won't recover from eventually." Probably.

Death's castle grew closer. A rough rock wall protected the building, with a single gate made from ebony providing an entrance. Behind the wall, a huge set of double doors towered, even that overshadowed by enormous spires that seemed to go up forever.

“Woah,” Haly whispered. “It’s big.”

I gotta get off; see you later!

Edited by Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff

Just now, Ranryu said:

Once they approached, the gate swung open without prompting. Here, nothing seemed to move. There were dark flowers in the front, but none shivered from a gust of wind or any small creature.

"Well, that's ominous. Do we just..."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

Once they approached, the gate swung open without prompting. Here, nothing seemed to move. There were dark flowers in the front, but none shivered from a gust of wind or any small creature.

"Well, that's ominous. Do we just..."

"Yeah, come on. I mean, he's Death himself. He's entitled to be a little melodramatic."

3 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"Yeah, come on. I mean, he's Death himself. He's entitled to be a little melodramatic."

"Right." Lerac approached the doors, unsure of what to do.

Edited by Ookla the Inverted
AHHHH

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Right." Lerac approached the did, unsure of what to do.

Wynn stepped in front on him and knocked three times.

"Death doesn't have a doorbell. Glad to see someone still has class in this universe."

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn stepped in front on him and knocked three times.

"Death doesn't have a doorbell. Glad to see someone still has class in this universe."

The knocks resounded all around them, vibrating and echoing. With a screech, the doors slid open.

Behind them, a massive hallway stretched for hundreds of feet, at the end of which there was a throne with a form atop it, cloaked in black.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

The knocks resounded all around them, vibrating and echoing. With a screech, the doors slid open.

Behind them, a massive hallway stretched for hundreds of feet, at the end of which there was a throne with a form atop it, cloaked in black.

"Hello Death!" Wynn said, trying to be as cheery as possible. "We're here looking for a new arrival, TAAron?"

Wynn has successfully bartered with Death before, although the conditions were slightly different.

Edited by Ranryu
plotholes