Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

"Well, you see, I accidentally killed him. I'm here to trade for his soul."

So, Death is willing to trade an essentially meaningless piece of soul for an entire person? In what situations has this occurred before?

50 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Well, Wynn's soul can be converted into a highly effective energy source. Plus he gets slave labor, and Wynn will owe him a favor that he can call in whenever he wants. She would probably offer more if Death wants to be finicky. This isn't Wynn's first adventure. Her mortal friends have died before, or at least she thought they did.

Edited by Ranryu

8 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"Well, you see, I accidentally killed him. I'm here to trade for his soul."

"You killed him. Let me see..." Death took out a stack of ledgers, and messaged through them. "Well, so you did. So you want me to help you escape the responsibility of your actions."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"You killed him. Let me see..." Death took out a stack of ledgers, and messaged through them. "Well, so you did. So you want me to help you escape the responsibility of your actions."

"Nope. I'm fully willing to pay, just with my own soul instead of his. After all, we kind of need him to defeat new-god-on-the-block Malum." She looked at Death with a smile. "And if Malum gets his way, you're job will become a lot harder."

Just now, Ranryu said:

"Nope. I'm fully willing to pay, just with my own soul instead of his. After all, we kind of need him to defeat new-god-on-the-block Malum." She looked at Death with a smile. "And if Malum gets his way, you're job will become a lot harder."

"Please. I won't be convinced with that. I am more than capable of handling large amounts of deceased souls. What is your proposed payment?"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Please. I won't be convinced with that. I am more than capable of handling large amounts of deceased souls. What is your proposed payment?"

"The fully charged soul of an Aos Si and three greater duel spirits, in trade for TAAron's unscathed soul."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Right. And what if I didn't humour you this time, Wynn? What would you do then?"

Wynn thought for a second.

"Well, I would probably go die trying to destroy Malum. And then, because immortal spirits don't fade, I'd cause all sorts of trouble with your filing system, just like my people did when the Mound was destroyed.

"Please will you trade? Spekkio can vouch for me."

Wynn thought for a second.

"Well, I would probably go die trying to destroy Malum. And then, because immortal spirits don't fade, I'd cause all sorts of trouble with your filing system, just like my people did when the Mound was destroyed.

"Please will you trade? Spekkio can vouch for me."

"No, Wynn. You won't cause trouble with my system, we figured that out after the first time. I don't care what Spekkio says, either. It's time you learned that your actions have consequences, Wynn.

"And, to be honest, your friend's soul fascinates me. He was inhabited by two gods. It's something interesting to explore."

"No, Wynn. You won't cause trouble with my system, we figured that out after the first time. I don't care what Spekkio says, either. It's time you learned that your actions have consequences, Wynn.

"And, to be honest, your friend's soul fascinates me. He was inhabited by two gods. It's something interesting to explore."

Wynn lolled her head from side to side in annoyance.

"Death, he's a mortal. In a few decades, you'll have all eternity to study him, and I won't bug you about it. Plus, look how young he is. If his soul is interesting now, imagine how much interesting it will be after he's lived a full life."

Wynn lolled her head from side to side in annoyance.

"Death, he's a mortal. In a few decades, you'll have all eternity to study him, and I won't bug you about it. Plus, look how young he is. If his soul is interesting now, imagine how much interesting it will be after he's lived a full life."

It seems odd to me that Wynn is able to do this. It's one of those things where the importance of death is undermined by it's impermanence.

Just now, Ranryu said:

Well, my original plan was basically for Death to have a no-revivals policy, but then you said that Wynn has successfully bartered for lubed in the past, so I don't have a decent excuse for him to decline.

Idea: The person she retrieved in the past didn't die, their soul was just separated from their body, creating a paradox that she unwittingly exploited. She thought that person was actually dead, which is why she's so confidant. And now for some theft... :D

9 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

That'd be the most efficient, although I just went back and changed some things. If Death won't barter, then of course Wynn is going to try to steal TAAron's soul. She's not the type to give up on something that's her fault.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Do you think that you're the only hero who comes down here? I get this at least twice a week, you aren't special."

"Aw, come on, don't be like that! I'm offering a fair trade, not just a random harp song or something."