Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, The Halcyon Girl said:

“Bye.” She pulled away, hiding the tiny rose that had fallen randomly from her hair. Don’t just summon roses. It’s weird. “I’ll miss you. Good luck. Don’t die, or I’ll go insane.” And she meant that.

Ashli beckoned him.

TAAron looked almost disappointed. She still didn't say it back. Maybe it's too much.

He went to follow Ashli.

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Well I can't really do anything. Lerac is just sitting and waiting. You can write out the rest of it up to three minutes, I guess.

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

No, don't!

Wynn tried to run and stop the green-haired girl from breaking the rule, but there was a rope stopping her. A rope? Yes, a rope. That rope was very important. But why?

Okay that's time.

TAAron looked almost disappointed. She still didn't say it back. Maybe it's too much.

He went to follow Ashli.

Next time he says that, I’ll have said it first, she vowed to herself. 

Ashli led him down the corridor. “We have some very fast mounts, but they’re… unconventional, so you’ll just use a horse on the way, and then on the way to the Evikian pass… you’re not afraid of heights,” she checked.

Just now, Ranryu said:

No, don't!

Wynn tried to run and stop the green-haired girl from breaking the rule, but there was a rope stopping her. A rope? Yes, a rope. That rope was very important. But why?

Lerac counted off three minutes. Let's hope this works. He tugged on the rope to pull Wynn out of the Void.

1 minute ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

Next time he says that, I’ll have said it first, she vowed to herself. 

Ashli led him down the corridor. “We have some very fast mounts, but they’re… unconventional, so you’ll just use a horse on the way, and then on the way to the Evikian pass… you’re not afraid of heights,” she checked.

"No." He paused. "Do you think this is the best course of action? For me to go, I mean."

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Lerac counted off three minutes. Let's hope this works. He tugged on the rope to pull Wynn out of the Void.

"No." He paused. "Do you think this is the best course of action? For me to go, I mean."

“I’m certain. For one, you have strange magic, Sykel says. She can read it in your music. And for two… keeping you a secret will be hard with Tiernan around, and you and Evalyn stuck together when he’s not around.”

Edited by The Halcyon Girl

The rope began to yank her backwards. She cried out, but the little girls didn't seem to hear her. Something told Wynn not to untie the rope. She was pulled three steps backward...

... And was yanked through the rip, landing gasping in the grass.

You did right. This is what had to happen. 

Even though she really believed that, it was still disturbing to flip to where her involvement ended… and find blank pages. None of TAAron’s thoughts. Nothing Haly had said. Only her own perceptions of that one scene when she’s given him the Permissive… and then nothing. 

Essa watched TAAron whirl away in the shards, satisfied. My work is done here. She pulled another Permissive out of her pocket and left.

And that’s where the words ended. Another reader from her organizations would be able to read more, but her involvement had closed that channel off completely for her. 

“Essa! How are you?” A blonde girl with a short-in-front, long-in-back haircut peeked around the corner. “You’re Haly’s caseworker right? How’s she doing?”

”Shes fine,” Essa replied. “In a tangle with a political marriage and such.”

”You’re reading her book?” 

It was highly unusual to read a book, unless you were the caseworker. Which Essa was, but she could no longer read the book. “Yes,” she lied. “Do you need something?”

”Nope. I know I don’t work here anymore—I’m just looking around.” She smiled and left.

Essa stared some more at the empty pages. Worth it, to avoid that ending. 

Ah, but was it? Was the new one really any better?

I’m going to drive myself crazy speculating and all that. Theres. No. Way. To. Know. You got involved, you pay the price.

I guess I’ll have to give up being Haly’s caseworker.

“I’m certain. For one, you have strange magic, Sykel says. She can read it in your music. And for two… keeping you a secret will be hard with Tiernan around, and you and Haly glued together when he’s not around.”

"He did already see us, but Haly made up a lie to excuse it. Hopefully he's not still very suspicious. So, what exactly should I be saying and doing while I'm in Nolika?"

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

The rope began to yank her backwards. She cried out, but the little girls didn't seem to hear her. Something told Wynn not to untie the rope. She was pulled three steps backward...

... And was yanked through the rip, landing gasping in the grass.

Lerac quickly made his way to her side. "Wynn, are you okay? Do you need me to heal you? Something happened, I assume."

"He did already see us, but Haly made up a lie to excuse it. Hopefully he's not still very suspicious. So, what exactly should I be saying and doing while I'm in Nolika?"

Lerac quickly made his way to her side. "Wynn, are you okay? Do you need me to heal you? Something happened, I assume."

“Nolikar,” she corrected. “Find the wooden necklace—the king will keep it close. Be polite, but unworried, as Evika often is. Have an… ‘I’m here because why not’ sort of attitude. Steal the necklace and head directly east with your horse. You’ll trade mounts for a griffin there, after which you’ll fly to the pass between Evika and Nolikar, where I’ll be waiting with the army. Hopefully. Then you give me the necklace, we wait, and we battle when Nolikar arrives. I’ll get you up to speed on the basic geography and stuff.”

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Wynn took a breath and wiped a tear from her face.

"I'm fine. Not hurt. I think we can go in- if we're prepared. We should do the same thing for you first though. Make sure it won't drive you insane or something."

2 minutes ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

“Nolikar,” she corrected. “Find the wooden necklace—the king will keep it close. Be polite, but unworried, as Evika often is. Have an… ‘I’m here because why not’ sort of attitude. Steal the necklace and head directly east with your horse. You’ll trade mounts for a griffin there, after which you’ll fly to the pass between Evika and Nolikar, where I’ll be waiting with the army. Hopefully. Then you give me the necklace, we wait, and we battle when Nolikar arrives. I’ll get you up to speed on the basic geography and stuff.”

"Um, one small problem. I don't know how to ride a horse. But I could Push myself to the griffin if I had to, I'll just need a pouch of coins."

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn took a breath and wiped a tear from her face.

"I'm fine. Not hurt. I think we can go in- if we're prepared. We should do the same thing for you first though. Make sure it won't drive you insane or something."

"Okay." Lerac began untying the rope from Wynn. "Do you want to tell me what happened in there?"

"Okay." Lerac began untying the rope from Wynn. "Do you want to tell me what happened in there?"

"Just hallucinations. Faceless, scary- like last time." She put her hand on his shoulder. "Be careful in there."

Just now, Ranryu said:

"Just hallucinations. Faceless, scary- like last time." She put her hand on his shoulder. "Be careful in there."

"Sure thing." He finished taking the rope off, and tied it around his waist. "Off I go."

He stepped into the Void.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Um, one small problem. I don't know how to ride a horse. But I could Push myself to the griffin if I had to, I'll just need a pouch of coins."

She blinked. “What? You… can’t ride a horse? We’ll have to teach you. No noble anywhere can’t ride a horse. What do you mean, push yourself?”

"Sure thing." He finished taking the rope off, and tied it around his waist. "Off I go."

He stepped into the Void.

Wynn wrapped the rope around her wrist a few times to make sure it wouldn't slip out. Another tear slid down her cheek.

Eria...

1 minute ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

She blinked. “What? You… can’t ride a horse? We’ll have to teach you. No noble anywhere can’t ride a horse. What do you mean, push yourself?”

"Here, I'll show you." TAAron walked to one end of one stretch of hallways and checked to make sure no one was around. "You might want to get out of the way."

He held a coin up to the wall, and then Pushed. He was flung all the way down the hallway, landing steadily on his feet with the aid of pewter. "That's what I mean."

Wynn wrapped the rope around her wrist a few times to make sure it wouldn't slip out. Another tear slid down her cheek.

Eria...

Lerac could see nothing, feel nothing. It was like his connection to reality had been cut. I could see someone going crazy in here.

Suddenly, he felt a lurch, and a pull. It was like he was being grabbed and yanked. The only thing keeping him from flying away was the rope around his waist.

Wynn would feel a strong pull on the rope.

Lerac could see nothing, feel nothing. It was like his connection to reality had been cut. I could see someone going crazy in here.

Suddenly, he felt a lurch, and a pull. It was like he was being grabbed and yanked. The only thing keeping him from flying away was the rope around his waist.

Wynn's arm was yanked as the rope went taut. She felt a bolt of panic, then began pulling Lerac back.

Better safe than sorry.

"Here, I'll show you." TAAron walked to one end of one stretch of hallways and checked to make sure no one was around. "You might want to get out of the way."

He held a coin up to the wall, and then Pushed. He was flung all the way down the hallway, landing steadily on his feet with the aid of pewter. "That's what I mean."

A huge involuntary grin spread across her face. “Wonderful! Sykel was right. However, I must travel with you a few days. That means horses. You’re welcome to ditch it after the castle, but horses at first…” she approached. “How did you do that? That was amazing. Are you from the west?”

Wynn's arm was yanked as the rope went taut. She felt a bolt of panic, then began pulling Lerac back.

Better safe than sorry.

Time for Malum to mess with them. Lerac is fine in actuality but...

Lerac came out of the void dead. His body was twisted unnaturally, his chest and neck cut open and bleeding. He lay on the ground, unmoving.

3 minutes ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

A huge involuntary grin spread across her face. “Wonderful! Sykel was right. However, I must travel with you a few days. That means horses. You’re welcome to ditch it after the castle, but horses at first…” she approached. “How did you do that? That was amazing. Are you from the west?”

"No. A different dimension entirely. And the powers are from another different dimension. It's complicated." He Pulled the coin back to himself and caught it.

Lerac came out of the void dead. His body was twisted unnaturally, his chest and neck cut open and bleeding. He lay on the ground, unmoving.

"No. A different dimension entirely. And the powers are from another different dimension. It's complicated." He Pulled the coin back to himself and caught it.

You’re killing Lerac again? Hahaha idk why that’s funny

Ashli watched with wide eyes. “Well,” she said finally, “We should probably go now.”

Ashli watched with wide eyes. “Well,” she said finally, “We should probably go now.”

Like I said in the post, he's actually fine. It's an illusion brought on by Malum.

"Yep. Oh, and I can increase my mental speed with these." He held up his hand, displaying the zinc rings. "That's how I did the thing with the books earlier."

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Snuffle began barking, but Wynn ignored her.

NONONONONO.

She didn't go closer, didn't inspect the body. Instead, she curled up in a ball and didn't move.

"Yep. Oh, and I can increase my mental speed with these." He held up his hand, displaying the zinc rings. "That's how I did the thing with the books earlier."

I figured. But I didn’t read it, so I guess I’m just special. 

She nodded, eyes gleaming. “Incredible.” She started down the hallway , then out the castle and to the stables. “We’re going to teach you to ride now.”

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Snuffle began barking, but Wynn ignored her.

NONONONONO.

She didn't go closer, didn't inspect the body. Instead, she curled up in a ball and didn't move.

"Wynn?" Lerac's voice seemed to sound nearby, although it was quiet and muffled. "What happened?"

She nodded, eyes gleaming. “Incredible.” She started down the hallway , then out the castle and to the stables. “We’re going to teach you to ride now.”

TAAron sighed. "Oh well. Hopefully I can use the metalminds to learn faster."