Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

22 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

With what? Um, what's going on with you?"

I don't know! Lerac looks dead, but I can still hear him. I think Malum's doing something.

Really bad day today. I don't think I have the energy to focus for something like this.

23 hours ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

His eyes widened momentarily at seeing the pendant, but he forced himself to control his expression. "Gladly." He took a seat.

---

In the vision, the soldier hauled TAAron into the roaring fire of an incinerator. The vision focused on his body as it was consumed by flames.

I know Death, you know. I could have his soul destroyed, his very essence erased. The he would truly be gone. What a delight! I'll speak to him now, I think.

I know I have a problem XD

“How is Evika doing?” The king asked, steepling his fingers.

She opened her eyes and tried to focus on the landscape. “I’m not listening to you,” she sobbed. “You’re a liar and all you want is for me to believe you. So I won’t.” 

But she knew she could do no more than pretend. Rylla knew this, too, and pounded at her chest, waiting.

3 minutes ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

“How is Evika doing?” The king asked, steepling his fingers.

She opened her eyes and tried to focus on the landscape. “I’m not listening to you,” she sobbed. “You’re a liar and all you want is for me to believe you. So I won’t.” 

But she knew she could do no more than pretend. Rylla knew this, too, and pounded at her chest, waiting.

"Well enough, I suppose."

---

You see it happening yourself. See his flesh burning away. This time, it is not a lie, however much I use it to upset you.

2 minutes ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Well enough, I suppose."

---

You see it happening yourself. See his flesh burning away. This time, it is not a lie, however much I use it to upset you.

“I’m glad to hear this.” He smiled, showing teeth. “Nolikar has much to brag about this year. Agriculturally, we’ve never been better. We’ve seen three nobility marriages within our palace. It’s been wonderful.” 

“I don’t care what I see. I can’t trust you. He’s NOT DEAD!” Her emotion reached a crescendo and her defenses dropped. You want to help? She thought fiercely to Rylla. Find him and protect him. Save him. Keep him safe. If he’s dead… do something sufficiently devastating. But he’s not dead, he’s NOT. 

Rylla—what was built up—rushed out of Haly, swirled for a moment, and then streamed toward Nolikar. The kickback made Haly lose her balance, and she tumbled down the roof before catching hold of the edge. Adrenaline pumping, she pulled herself up and sat on the sharply sloped edge, trying to catch her breath and recover from Rylla’s sudden absence.

1 minute ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

“I’m glad to hear this.” He smiled, showing teeth. “Nolikar has much to brag about this year. Agriculturally, we’ve never been better. We’ve seen three nobility marriages within our palace. It’s been wonderful.” 

“I don’t care what I see. I can’t trust you. He’s NOT DEAD!” Her emotion reached a crescendo and her defenses dropped. You want to help? She thought fiercely to Rylla. Find him and protect him. Save him. Keep him safe. If he’s dead… do something sufficiently devastating. But he’s not dead, he’s NOT. 

Rylla—what was built up—rushed out of Haly, swirled for a moment, and then streamed toward Nolikar. The kickback made Haly lose her balance, and she tumbled down the roof before catching hold of the edge. Adrenaline pumping, she pulled herself up and sat on the sharply sloped edge, trying to catch her breath and recover from Rylla’s sudden absence.

"Wonderful indeed," TAAron said sarcastically.

---

Oh, what have you done now? Please, you'll only make it worse for yourself.

1 minute ago, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"Wonderful indeed," TAAron said sarcastically.

---

Oh, what have you done now? Please, you'll only make it worse for yourself.

The king laughed. “You Evikians crack me up.” 

His wife placed a warning hand over his and turned her eyes to TAAron. “Tell us about you.”

“I don’t know what I did,” she replied, steadying her breathing. “But I do know that he’s safer now.” 

Unless he’s dead.

She bent forward as her body shook with sobs.

Edited by The Halcyon Girl

The king laughed. “You Evikians crack me up.” 

His wife placed a warning hand over his and turned her eyes to TAAron. “Tell us about you.”

“I don’t know what I did,” she replied, steadying her breathing. “But I do know that he’s safer now.” 

Unless he’s dead.

She bent forward as her body shook with sobs.

"My name is Evander, I'm an emissary."

---

A voice now spoke in Haly's head. TAAron's voice.

"Haly?"

Just now, The Aspiring Archivist said:

"My name is Evander, I'm an emissary."

---

A voice now spoke in Haly's head. TAAron's voice.

"Haly?"

She nodded encouragingly. “Do you have siblings?” 

The king sat back, rather annoyed that he couldn’t brag some more.

She gasped and bolted upright on the roof. TAAron! You’re alive, I knew it! How’s your mission going? 

Just now, The Halcyon Girl said:

She nodded encouragingly. “Do you have siblings?” 

The king sat back, rather annoyed that he couldn’t brag some more.

She gasped and bolted upright on the roof. TAAron! You’re alive, I knew it! How’s your mission going? 

"No, I do not."

---

"I'm... not. I'm sorry, Haly. I failed."

"No, I do not."

---

"I'm... not. I'm sorry, Haly. I failed."

“I have several. All annoying, of course. How about pets?”

Her gut froze. No, you’re not. Malum was lying. Rylla’s protecting you. You’re fine.

“I have several. All annoying, of course. How about pets?”

Her gut froze. No, you’re not. Malum was lying. Rylla’s protecting you. You’re fine.

"None, either. A waste of time and effort to keep."

---

"I'm so sorry, Haly. I don't know how I'm talking to you, but... They figured it out. And then a soldier stabbed me in the back."

"None, either. A waste of time and effort to keep."

---

"I'm so sorry, Haly. I don't know how I'm talking to you, but... They figured it out. And then a soldier stabbed me in the back."

She nodded, a crease forming between her eyes. “I see.”

We could skip to when they end the polite formalities (it’s custom that you chat one day and parley the next) if you want.

Oh. 

Not knowing what else to say, she curled her knees to her chest, more tears slipping from her eyes.

I love you.

She nodded, a crease forming between her eyes. “I see.”

Oh. 

Not knowing what else to say, she curled her knees to her chest, more tears slipping from her eyes.

I love you.

Sure

---

"I lo-" The voice cut off with a screech, replaced by the voice of Death.

"It is done."

---

"I lo-" The voice cut off with a screech, replaced by the voice of Death.

"It is done."

Okay, is nighttime now. 

The castle was dark and quiet, but guards still patrolled the halls on a rotation. The moon outside the window seemed unnaturally large, and clouds periodically drifted across the sky, obscuring the stars.

“I don’t think you’re supposed to do that,” she whispered aloud, trying to cover her shock. “You’re not supposed to do that.”

The castle was dark and quiet, but guards still patrolled the halls on a rotation. The moon outside the window seemed unnaturally large, and clouds periodically drifted across the sky, obscuring the stars.

“I don’t think you’re supposed to do that,” she whispered aloud, trying to cover her shock. “You’re not supposed to do that.”

TAAron sat in his room, restless, worried about Haly and about his mission. When do I go? He decided to wait at the door, using tin to enhance his hearing.

When he heard a set of guards go by, he exited his room and made his way to the king and queen's quarters.

---

Liked I said, I know Death. I can call a favor or two. TAAron's soul is... no more.

TAAron sat in his room, restless, worried about Haly and about his mission. When do I go? He decided to wait at the door, using tin to enhance his hearing.

When he heard a set of guards go by, he exited his room and made his way to the king and queen's quarters.

---

Liked I said, I know Death. I can call a favor or two. TAAron's soul is... no more.

Their door was pretty much the same as all the others—heavy wood. But it was double the size and had a large, well-cut ruby studded in the middle, about the size of a ping pong ball. It was locked, of course.

“Why, though? Why would you do that?”

Their door was pretty much the same as all the others—heavy wood. But it was double the size and had a large, well-cut ruby studded in the middle, about the size of a ping pong ball. It was locked, of course.

“Why, though? Why would you do that?”

What type of lock is it?

---

Because I don't want you trying anything to get him back. I want you to know that he is gone. Truly. No afterlife to enjoy, no soul waiting for you when you die.

---

Because I don't want you trying anything to get him back. I want you to know that he is gone. Truly. No afterlife to enjoy, no soul waiting for you when you die.

It’s like a bolt from the inside, but swivels up and down. A simple one.

She choked on her grief and anger. “Why? Why are you like this?”

She choked on her grief and anger. “Why? Why are you like this?”

Could he open it with simple pushed and pulls? I assume so.

---

I'm afraid it is my nature. Anyway, I'll allow you some time to get acquainted with the understanding that you have failed again. Worse that you ever have before, and when it mattered most. You should have said a proper goodbye.

---

I'm afraid it is my nature. Anyway, I'll allow you some time to get acquainted with the understanding that you have failed again. Worse that you ever have before, and when it mattered most. You should have said a proper goodbye.

Probably, yeah. 

“No, no, no,” she moaned. “This can’t happen.” 

Token words that meant nothing, even to her. 

Pressing the heel of her hands to her eyes, she let out a long, anguished wail.

“No, no, no,” she moaned. “This can’t happen.” 

Token words that meant nothing, even to her. 

Pressing the heel of her hands to her eyes, she let out a long, anguished wail.

Carefully, TAAron opened the lock with steel and iron.

---

The voice of Malum left her to suffer in her anguish.

Have to go for about 20 minutes.

Carefully, TAAron opened the lock with steel and iron.

---

The voice of Malum left her to suffer in her anguish.

The room was still and quiet, sparsely furnished—a reception room. There were two doors, one leading to a bedroom and the other a library.

If he tries to go into the bedroom, a sort of cousin of air or whatever will push him back. (Spoiler: it’s Rylla)

There was no way to digest this. In ten minutes, everything had been destroyed. TAAron was gone. 

Gone. Worse than dead. He was dead for good.

And I didn’t say it back. She sobbed. I should have said it back. I should have told him how much he means to me, every day, and every night, and all the moments in between. 

I never kissed him. He’s gone and I never kissed him. 

Eventually, she ran out of tears and watched the gardens far below, numbly and unseeingly. 

15 minutes ago, The Halcyon Girl said:

The room was still and quiet, sparsely furnished—a reception room. There were two doors, one leading to a bedroom and the other a library.

There was no way to digest this. In ten minutes, everything had been destroyed. TAAron was gone. 

Gone. Worse than dead. He was dead for good.

And I didn’t say it back. She sobbed. I should have said it back. I should have told him how much he means to me, every day, and every night, and all the moments in between. 

I never kissed him. He’s gone and I never kissed him. 

Eventually, she ran out of tears and watched the gardens far below, numbly and unseeingly. 

TAAron crept towards the bedroom, but got pushed back by a strange force. What the...

---

Will Rylla inform Haly of TAAron's continued existence now?

The vision faded as the last of TAAron's body was consumed by flame.