Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn chuckled. 

"You mortals, always doing things and making commitments. I can't fathom it. You guys don't even know how to have a proper duel!"

"You mortals? I would argue that you don't understand making commitments because you have the emotional intelligence of a teenager and a few months worth of memory!"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"You mortals? I would argue that you don't understand making commitments because you have the emotional intelligence of a teenager and a few months worth of memory!"

"You misunderstand me. I admire your ability to form emotional attachments and keep promises." She frowned. "Maybe I was able to do that... in the past... but I wasn't born that way. The Aos Si... aren't built like humans. Any humanity I have is learned, not inherent. And I've lost so much... And emotional intelligence of a teenager!? What are you talking about?"

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

"You misunderstand me. I admire your ability to form emotional attachments and keep promises." She frowned. "Maybe I was able to do that... in the past... but I wasn't born that way. The Aos Si... aren't built like humans. Any humanity I have is learned, not inherent. And I've lost so much... And emotional intelligence of a teenager!? What are you talking about?"

"Perhaps you have the wisdom only an ancient one could have, but in the same sentence in which you called me a mortal, you gave a me, a healer, a petty insult for not knowing how to duel properly."

"Perhaps you have the wisdom only an ancient one could have, but in the same sentence in which you called me a mortal, you gave a me, a healer, a petty insult for not knowing how to duel properly."

Wynn spluttered.

"Three things. One, any wisdom I ever may or may not have had is long gone now. Two, by my race's standards... well technically I'm not a part of my race anymore, but you calling me a teenager sounded like some kind of insult. Three, I wasn't trying to insult you; most Aos Si don't know how to duel either. Mortals actually invented dueling, which is why it's a shame no one does it anymore."

Wynn internally cringed at her lack of verbal dexterity. She really did sound like a defensive teenager.

Wynn spluttered.

"Three things. One, any wisdom I ever may or may not have had is long gone now. Two, by my race's standards... well technically I'm not a part of my race anymore, but you calling me a teenager sounded like some kind of insult. Three, I wasn't trying to insult you; most Aos Si don't know how to duel either. Mortals actually invented dueling, which is why it's a shame no one does it anymore."

Wynn internally cringed at her lack of verbal dexterity. She really did sound like a defensive teenager.

Lerac smiled broadly. "How... coherent. And also, I don't know what kind of dueling you're talking about, but I'm not half bad with a dagger." To demonstrate, he threw it at her. It nicked her ear and bounced off the wall behind her.

2 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Lerac smiled broadly. "How... coherent. And also, I don't know what kind of dueling you're talking about, but I'm not half bad with a dagger." To demonstrate, he threw it at her. It nicked her ear and bounced off the wall behind her.

Wynn put a finger to her ear. 

"Yeah, I can see you have some real talent." She replied dryly.

"Dueling. You know, Duel Monsters? Shadow Games? It's a form of magician battle that involves luck, skill, and monster spirits. Currently, the most popular form uses cards and holograms, but it's taken many different styles over the centuries. It's a more refined way to fight."

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn put a finger to her ear. 

"Yeah, I can see you have some real talent." She replied dryly.

"Dueling. You know, Duel Monsters? Shadow Games? It's a form of magician battle that involves luck, skill, and monster spirits. Currently, the most popular form uses cards and holograms, but it's taken many different styles over the centuries. It's a more refined way to fight."

"Not talent, training. Give me a target, I'll hit it. And... what? I don't know what any of that is." He walked past her to get his dagger, brushing her ear with his hand to heal the wound.

"Not talent, training. Give me a target, I'll hit it. And... what? I don't know what any of that is." He walked past her to get his dagger, brushing her ear with his hand to heal the wound.

"I mostly use dueling as a way to channel my Shadow Magic." She rolled her eyes. "Without it, I'd probably kill myself trying to use my own soul to do things. Or worse. Duel spirits are better for that kind of thing.

"Speaking of duel spirits, I think the Ranryu card has bonded to TAAron. It refuses to leave him. That could have... unforeseen consequences." 

"I mostly use dueling as a way to channel my Shadow Magic." She rolled her eyes. "Without it, I'd probably kill myself trying to use my own soul to do things. Or worse. Duel spirits are better for that kind of thing.

"Speaking of duel spirits, I think the Ranryu card has bonded to TAAron. It refuses to leave him. That could have... unforeseen consequences." 

"Who is Ranryu? And, what do you mean by bonded?" He began absentmindedly throwing his dagger into the air and catching it by the blade. He cut himself repeatedly, but the wounds healed instantly.

"Who is Ranryu? And, what do you mean by bonded?" He began absentmindedly throwing his dagger into the air and catching it by the blade. He cut himself repeatedly, but the wounds healed instantly.

"Not who, what. Ranryu is a card who's spirit wanted to be with TAAron for some reason. It wants to protect him, and it can't be taken from him. That card was always a little... off. I lost it for a few years- only found it a few months ago."

It's been fun staying up late, but I should probably sign off now. Good morning and happy winter solstice!

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

"Not who, what. Ranryu is a card who's spirit wanted to be with TAAron for some reason. It wants to protect him, and it can't be taken from him. That card was always a little... off. I lost it for a few years- only found it a few months ago."

"Interesting... maybe you forgot something about it."

13 hours ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

He grabbed her and pulled her back up. "I'll last longer than a few hours. We can spare however long it takes for you to regain your mobility." He turned to Nameless. "Can't we?"

13 hours ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“No, no we can’t!” She rounded on Nameless. “Tell him we can’t!”

Nameless hesitated, looking from Haly to TAAron to the darkness the Finn had disappeared into. "I... don't think that we should wait. The longer we do, the more time it gives the Finn to decide that maybe killing us will be quicker than dealing with us. It's not like they can't attack us if we stay here."

5 minutes ago, UnfortunatelyNamed said:

Nameless hesitated, looking from Haly to TAAron to the darkness the Finn had disappeared into. "I... don't think that we should wait. The longer we do, the more time it gives the Finn to decide that maybe killing us will be quicker than dealing with us. It's not like they can't attack us if we stay here."

TAAron looked at him angrily. "Fine. Let's go, then."

3 minutes ago, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

“I… yes. Definitely.” She wasn’t quite so confident as she sounded, but she couldn’t let TAAron risk anything.

Did you see that they are following the Finn now?

TAAron frowned. "Alright... You still seem shaky on your feet."

Just now, Ookla the BlowUpperOfStuff said:

She did so, and managed maybe ten steps before she stumbled. She sprang back up, then wobbled some more. “I’m getting better,” she insisted defensively.

TAAron shook his head. "You still can't fight."