Tower of Ghenjei: An ICanon subplot

The Aspiring Archivist

Just now, Ranryu said:

"This'll be better than killing you, because it'll help Haly be happy and stuff!" Power of love, don't fail me now!

Wynn signaled for Lerac to grab TAAron.

Lerac shook his head, apparently not getting the message.

TAAron groaned. "I don't... trust..." He seemed to be having an internal conflict.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

Lerac shook his head, apparently not getting the message.

TAAron groaned. "I don't... trust..." He seemed to be having an internal conflict.

Wynn sent a tendril of shadow, knocking TAAron out and tying him down in case he woke up.

"Okay Lerac. Please tell me you know human anatomy, because if I try to cut the stupid thing out by myself I will definitely kill him."

1 minute ago, Ranryu said:

Wynn sent a tendril of shadow, knocking TAAron out and tying him down in case he woke up.

"Okay Lerac. Please tell me you know human anatomy, because if I try to cut the stupid thing out by myself I will definitely kill him."

"You want to do what?"

Just now, Ranryu said:

"We're cutting that crystal out of him. If we could heal him when Malum put it in, we can heal him after we take it out. Okay, tell me where to cut."

"Woah! Hold on. I can't just heal an injury like that once an hour."

Just now, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Woah! Hold on. I can't just heal an injury like that once an hour."

"I can give you an energy boost, provided you have a strong enough mind to withstand the Shadow Realm. I think you can handle it. Come on, I want to do this before something terrible happens again. Seriously, we can't go five minutes without a near-death encounter."

Just now, Ranryu said:

"I can give you an energy boost, provided you have a strong enough mind to withstand the Shadow Realm. I think you can handle it. Come on, I want to do this before something terrible happens again. Seriously, we can't go five minutes without a near-death encounter."

"I don't know. I healed him the first time with three people's power. This would just be yours."

"I don't know. I healed him the first time with three people's power. This would just be yours."

"I didn't give you my power last time. I tried to heal him directly, which didn't work. Besides, I'll be a lot more delicate than Malum. The only actual cutting required is to remove the crystal. Shadows are intangible until I want them to be solid."

"I didn't give you my power last time. I tried to heal him directly, which didn't work. Besides, I'll be a lot more delicate than Malum. The only actual cutting required is to remove the crystal. Shadows are intangible until I want them to be solid."

"Fine. I-"

TAAron came to. "What happened?" There was a hot fury in his eyes that looked unusual for someone of his normal calmness.

"Fine. I-"

TAAron came to. "What happened?" There was a hot fury in his eyes that looked unusual for someone of his normal calmness.

So I'm guessing you don't want this to succeed.

"Oh, don't be angry. It makes the duel spirits more hungry."

Wynn reinforced TAAron's bindings.

Just now, Ranryu said:

"Oh, don't be angry. It makes the duel spirits more hungry."

Wynn reinforced TAAron's bindings.

No, you can do it, or at least try.

"I knew I couldn't trust you!" His eyes teared up. "I- I thought that maybe..."

"I knew I couldn't trust you!" His eyes teared up. "I- I thought that maybe..."

"Oh hush. This is for your own good. I promise, you'll thank us when we're done."

Ugh. I don't want to risk brain damage and knock him out again.

"Lerac, do you have a plant that can numb him?"

"Oh hush. This is for your own good. I promise, you'll thank us when we're done."

Ugh. I don't want to risk brain damage and knock him out again.

"Lerac, do you have a plant that can numb him?"

"Maybe. I might need to grow one."

TAAron burned brass, then duralumin, dampening all of Wynn's emotions to total numbness except for fear and regret.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

"Maybe. I might need to grow one."

TAAron burned brass, then duralumin, dampening all of Wynn's emotions to total numbness except for fear and regret.

Wynn responded by feeding those remaining emotions to the duel spirits hiding in the shadows, rendering herself emotionless.

"Understood. Hurry, please. I can only shield us from his allomancy for so long before I need a breather."

Just now, Ranryu said:

Wynn responded by feeding those remaining emotions to the duel spirits hiding in the shadows, rendering herself emotionless.

"Understood. Hurry, please. I can only shield us from his allomancy for so long before I need a breather."

Have you read WoA?

2 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

If you remember the scene where Vin manipulates Straff Venture's emotions, dampening them all with duralumin has a severe effect on him. I don't remember the specifics, but I think it shook him pretty severely.

Edited by Ookla the Inverted

Wynn isn't human. Emotions are learned behavior, not innate like in humans. This whole thing will make her pretty sick later, but she can push it back. Her powers essentially work by exploiting contracts and friendships with various duel spirits from the Shadow Realm. She doesn't have to pay up immediately for every contract. 

Also I need to sign off now.

Wynn sent a shadow into TAAron, searching for the crystal.

20 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Wynn found the crystal and made thin, delicate cuts to remove it.

TAAron's eyes widened, and he began struggling against his bonds. She's killing me. She's actually... His vision began dimming.

The crystal became visible, glowing a bright purple.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

TAAron's eyes widened, and he began struggling against his bonds. She's killing me. She's actually... His vision began dimming.

The crystal became visible, glowing a bright purple.

Wynn quickly removed the crystal and wrapped it in a knot of shadow. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a gigantic monster or something.

"Prepare yourself, Lerac. If you succumb to the Shadow Realm, TAAron will die."

She blasted Lerac with energy.

5 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

Wynn quickly removed the crystal and wrapped it in a knot of shadow. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned into a gigantic monster or something.

"Prepare yourself, Lerac. If you succumb to the Shadow Realm, TAAron will die."

She blasted Lerac with energy.

So what did that actually do to Lerac? What does he experience?

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Inverted said:

The energy is incredibly hard to control. If he gets distracted even the tiniest bit, he could end up killing himself or someone else. It kind of feels like a storm inside of him that wants to escape.

5 minutes ago, Ranryu said:

The power overwhelmed Lerac, filling him with a tempest of energy. Now, to use it... He tried channeling the energy into his magic, to use it as fuel, but it seemed to be resistant to the focus required.

"I... don't know if I can!"