The Relationship Advice Thread, by Dr. Calano

Medium

Just now, Ookla the Abstract said:

Well, I don't know enough to say much further, but I'm certain enough that it isn't something wrong with you.

There is actually a diagnosed problem with me that they call ADHD so there is something wrong with me

Just now, Ookla the Resolute said:

It is, yeah but it does cause problems and annoyances from time to time that makes it worse

but I'm not one to externalize my problems

I'm not saying externalize them, I'm just trying to frame them in a different way. There is not something wrong with you. Your brain is just different in a way that affects how you function.

1 minute ago, Ookla the Abstract said:

I'm not saying externalize them, I'm just trying to frame them in a different way. There is not something wrong with you. Your brain is just different in a way that affects how you function.

I'm literally not joking when I say about half the people who know I have ADHD say that I'm essentially disfunctional including my family and friends but it's fine

I'm kinda scared. Ok, so, unfortunate break-up that I am definitely 100% over (I would never be really sad about it this long after it, who would ever???) with a girl that I really liked/like*. Long story, I hate telling it so please don't ask. Now here's the problem. We're both on the swim team. We're chill, still have fun with each other, and she's going through a hard time, and I don't know how to help, but that's not the only thing. I need advice. How do I help without seeming like it's just cause I like her and want to be close to her (especially cause that's kinda what it is, but also I just care about my friends and it hurts to see her like this (it would hurt like this for any of them**)). And that's just part one. Part two is that I'm pretty sure another girl also on the swim team likes me, but girls are weird and strange and I don't understand them so I could just be going crazy, but I don't like her. Send help.

*again, who would ever still like a girl that doesn't like them anymore, that would be ridiculous 

**maybe***

***probably not this bad, but mostly like this

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Resolute said:

I'm literally not joking when I say about half the people who know I have ADHD say that I'm essentially disfunctional including my family and friends but it's fine

Yes. It impacts your ability to function. That doesn't mean there's something wrong with you as a person.

Just now, Ookla the Resolute said:

It is merely a sign

No... It's not your fault that you live in a world that isn't suited for the way your brain works, and that people might look down on you for it.

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Immortal said:

I'm kinda scared. Ok, so, unfortunate break-up that I am definitely 100% over (I would never be really sad about it this long after it, who would ever???) with a girl that I really liked/like*. Long story, I hate telling it so please don't ask. Now here's the problem. We're both on the swim team. We're chill, still have fun with each other, and she's going through a hard time, and I don't know how to help, but that's not the only thing. I need advice. How do I help without seeming like it's just cause I like her and want to be close to her (especially cause that's kinda what it is, but also I just care about my friends and it hurts to see her like this (it would hurt like this for any of them**)). And that's just part one. Part two is that I'm pretty sure another girl also on the swim team likes me, but girls are weird and strange and I don't understand them so I could just be going crazy, but I don't like her. Send help.

*again, who would ever still like a girl that doesn't like them anymore, that would be ridiculous 

**maybe***

I'm not the most experienced with this... My best advice is be honest, both about your intentions and your concerns.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Immortal said:

**maybe***

I'm also not experienced with this, and I won't ask for details (and I pinky promise not to make fun of you, especially since there's a decent chance I know both of them) but as a girl...usually it's better to just help as you can and the girl will be grateful. Support is almost always a good thing, and I don't think most girls are going around thinking every good thing that happens to them is a sign of a crush. If you're still friends, I don't think it'll be awkward. (I could be totally wrong on every point, though)

And...yeah. Girls are weird and strange and most of us don't understand ourselves. Anything is possible...sorry.

41 minutes ago, Ookla the Believer said:

I'm also not experienced with this, and I won't ask for details (and I pinky promise not to make fun of you, especially since there's a decent chance I know both of them) but as a girl...usually it's better to just help as you can and the girl will be grateful. Support is almost always a good thing, and I don't think most girls are going around thinking every good thing that happens to them is a sign of a crush. If you're still friends, I don't think it'll be awkward. (I could be totally wrong on every point, though)

And...yeah. Girls are weird and strange and most of us don't understand ourselves. Anything is possible...sorry.

you might know one, but not the other. I would almost guarantee it. And it's a little strange (cause of the long story that I'm not telling) but I'm doin my best and it stinks. I need help. I mean, I totally got this. It'll be an adventure, but hopefully a good one

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Immortal said:

you might know one, but not the other. I would almost guarantee it. And it's a little strange (cause of the long story that I'm not telling) but I'm doin my best and it stinks. I need help. I mean, I totally got this. It'll be an adventure, but hopefully a good one

<333

If there's anything I can do, you can always let me know. It does stink, and I'm so sorry you have to go through it. *hugs*

22 hours ago, Ookla the foolish said:

@Ookla-The-Stick

I’m expecting updates at some point, good luck and have fun today:D

20 hours ago, Ookla the Rich said:

*watches with happiness and excitement*

20 hours ago, Ookla the Raveness said:

Yes me too!!! Best of luck and have fun with him! :D

I'm BACK!!!

9 minutes ago, Ookla-The-Stick said:

:D 

It was awesome!

we danced for a while (not quite as long as I wanted) and ate some yummy food, and played some games and took lots of pictures! (I will not post on here, but you can PM me :P )

He's a surprisingly good dancer! 

:D :D :D 

Nice!!!!! It seems you two are getting off well :D :D ;D

20 minutes ago, Ookla-The-Stick said:

:D 

It was awesome!

we danced for a while (not quite as long as I wanted) and ate some yummy food, and played some games and took lots of pictures! (I will not post on here, but you can PM me :P )

He's a surprisingly good dancer! 

:D :D :D 

Nice!!! That sounds amazing! Did you have fun?