The Relationship Advice Thread, by Dr. Calano

Medium

1 hour ago, The cheeseman said:

YOU'RE ON A FORUM DEDICATED TO NERD STUFF. ADMIT IT, EDDIE!

YOU

ARE

A

NERRRRRD

1 hour ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Says the person who said "MY LIFE IS DEDICATED TO KVOTHE!" 

And who's username is a book thing.

And who has various book quotes in their signature.

And is in a book themed gladiatorial combat from a book themed role playing game on a forum website made for nerds of a very specific series let by the biggest nerds around.

So... I think the evidence is pretty conclusive. Thou art a nerd, person named after the Edema Ruh.

See all I see here is proof that I like books! Which is true! But I’m not a nerrrrrrddddd

Just now, Edema Rue said:

See all I see here is proof that I like books! Which is true! But I’m not a nerrrrrrddddd

Hmm

Allow me to introduce you to the definition of a nerd. “A nerd is a person who is socially awkward and is passionate about a…subject.” And, proven by previous posts, being socially awkward and liking social interaction are two different things. You are passionate about books, or at least Kvothe, and so forth. Thus, by the definition you are a nerd.

21 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Hmm

Allow me to introduce you to the definition of a nerd. “A nerd is a person who is socially awkward and is passionate about a…subject.” And, proven by previous posts, being socially awkward and liking social interaction are two different things. You are passionate about books, or at least Kvothe, and so forth. Thus, by the definition you are a nerd.

*winces* maybe I’m just a hopeless romantic for fictional guys. Is that allowed?

12 minutes ago, Weaver of Lights said:

But…you are.

But…but no. 

57 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

*winces* maybe I’m just a hopeless romantic for fictional guys. Is that allowed?

I think that should be allowed.

But good luck actually finding one of those. It's kind of in the name.

Spoiler

Kinda sorta related but that AI significant others thing is really weird. It'll be even weirder when the older sites/services phase out and then people who have way more than normal emotional attachments to lines of code are suddenly without that anymore.

I think that the emotional and philosophical implications of this sort of thing are quite interesting.

7 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Hmm

me: is socially awkward, and is passionate about physiology and psychology. i am a nerd.

10 minutes ago, TheRavenHasLanded said:

me: is socially awkward, and is passionate about physiology and psychology. i am a nerd.

Ooohh psychology is cool. I feel like it would be dangerous if I learned more about it, my stories would become that much more traumatic.

3 hours ago, Immortal Platypus said:

it's easy to sign dead. 

Reveal hidden contents

i can sign that in asl :P 

WELL DEAD IS ALL I GOT and it’s what I use in signs :)))

2 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

is it?

Heck yeah! I had a lot of fun, and was actually interested communicating rather than speaking random syllables that I would forget in three weeks.  

(Not to say the languages and cultures aren’t interesting, ASL and deaf culture just interested me a lot more than languages such as Spanish or French or German)

Relationship advice thread? Nice!

Any advice for helping your best friend to know how much she's loved and valued after she's broken up with a toxic guy? A couple of other friends and I have been trying to help, but her sense of self-worth seems... not so great right now.

3 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

Any advice for helping your best friend to know how much she's loved and valued after she's broken up with a toxic guy? A couple of other friends and I have been trying to help, but her sense of self-worth seems... not so great right now.

Hang out with her, talk to her but not about the relationship. Tell her that she means a lot but not in context of her relationship history. 

7 hours ago, Through The Living Glass said:

I don't know much, I'm not Cal xD, but I think laughter is one of the best things you can do for her. Give her reasons to laugh, to smile, to remember that there is joy beyond the relationship that's gone now, that she's more than just that guy, that time. Laughter is such a good remedy, even it's about the silliest things. Even if it means sending her a really goofy meme at like 3am. 

Oh, and if you (or she) are religious, there are so many wonderful scriptures that can help :) 

4 hours ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Hang out with her, talk to her but not about the relationship. Tell her that she means a lot but not in context of her relationship history. 

16 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

I don't know much, I'm not Cal xD, but I think laughter is one of the best things you can do for her. Give her reasons to laugh, to smile, to remember that there is joy beyond the relationship that's gone now, that she's more than just that guy, that time. Laughter is such a good remedy, even it's about the silliest things. Even if it means sending her a really goofy meme at like 3am. 

Oh, this is great! Thank you both!

17 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Oh, and if you (or she) are religious, there are so many wonderful scriptures that can help :) 

We're both LDS, actually. I wish I'd thought of that beforehand! Thank you! 😄

4 minutes ago, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

*Appears*

*looks around unsteadily*

Am I here for advice?

image.png.c8040c40e0e2e5e0c85fd10598a51ffe.png

*Blinks*

No, that's impossible.

*Evaporates.*

...Are you here for advice?

You might be here for snacks, actually. *sends digital chips*

*salt and vinegar, obviously*

1 minute ago, Through The Living Glass said:

...Are you here for advice?

You might be here for snacks, actually. *sends digital chips*

*salt and vinegar, obviously*

*eats chips*

Tasty.

Am I here for advice?

How do you suffer heartbreak from listening to Arcade and then imagining scenarios?

Because I think I accidentally gave myself heartbreak.