Cellists Unite

There seem to be a lot of cellists on here...

@That1Cellist @Shining Silhouette @The Wandering Wizard

Let us discuss the wondrous instrument that is the cello (or anything else music-y, i suppose).

To start, whose your favorite cellist?

Edited by Szeth's Facepalm

36 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

There seem to be a lot of cellists on here...

@That1Cellist @Shining Silhouette @The Wandering Wizard

Let us discuss the wondrous instrument that is the cello (or anything else music-y, i suppose).

To start, whose your favorite cellist?

I like a lot of cellists, but right now I am really impressed by Zlatomir Fung. I’ve also been listening to recordings by Mischa Maisky, and he is wonderful as well.

There are others I like, of course, but those are the ones I thought I would start of mentioning.

3 hours ago, Morningtide said:

I am invading >:) I don't play the cello, but if I had to pick a string instrument, it would definitely be the cello.

It's so gorgeous, isn't it?

Do you know the piano guys? (you probably do, since you're LDS and like the cello, but i'm just making sure.)

14 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

It's so gorgeous, isn't it?

Do you know the piano guys? (you probably do, since you're LDS and like the cello, but i'm just making sure.)

Yes. It’s such a wonderful instrument.

I do know who the piano guys are. I like a lot of their stuff, but my music focus has shifted to be a bit more classical than what we typically hear from them. However, I do agree that they are great musicians who play good music.

52 minutes ago, Morningtide said:

Yes! They're really, really good. 

guess what

Spoiler

i am directly related to Steve, the cellist (won't specify how cause i don't wanna reveal to much about myself). i started playing cello cause i wanted to be like him :D we get free backstage passes and tickets whenever we're in range of a performance of theirs. it's awesome!

Just now, Aes Sedai said:

I’m a violinist >: ) 

Everyone hates us. :D

b e g o n e

Jk. Violinists are cool! Mostly! There was this one reeaally annoying one in my orchestra... but he's not an indicator of them all. Violin is pretty hard to master, i think, cause it gets super squeaky if you do it wrong, so i think that's where its bad rep comes from, but when it's played well it's very pretty. I like to steal my brothers violin and play it like a cello lol.

4 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

guess what

Hide contents

i am directly related to Steve, the cellist (won't specify how cause i don't wanna reveal to much about myself). i started playing cello cause i wanted to be like him :D we get free backstage passes and tickets whenever we're in range of a performance of theirs. it's awesome!

I am not a cello player, but I am a cello appreciator. It is far superior to violin. (Having lived in a house with a beginner violin and a beginner cello, the cello was much less annoying)

Go cellos! Go and beat those people who see your cello cases and ask if you play guitar!

Spoiler

Also, OMGosh facepalm he was totally my family's landlord about a decade ago.

7 hours ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

guess what

Reveal hidden contents

Whaaaaaaat that's so cool!!! I've been to one of their concerts and it was incredible!

8 hours ago, Aes Sedai said:

Thanks. Most orchestra people hate violins because we usually get the melody and their instruments get called “big violins”. It’s a fun instrument though. Enjoy being cellists!

Oh yeah i forgot about that

Forget all the nice stuff I said

(Jk :> but yeah that is annoying af lol.)

4 hours ago, Ranryu said:

Reveal hidden contents

Also, OMGosh facepalm he was totally my family's landlord about a decade ago.

Woahhh! We have a connection now!!

4 minutes ago, Shining Silhouette said:

HIYA

How we doing here fellow cellists?

Good!

I have a performance with my teacher and one of my other friends who plays cello in a couple weeks. We were practicing earlier and i can tell it's gonna be so pretty and i'm really excited :3

I am a lapsed cellist.  I played recreationally for roughly 15 years, but couldn't keep it up once I started moving around a lot for work.

If I had to choose a single favorite cellist, I'd go with Jacqueline du Pré, but that's partly because I am drawn to the late-romantic concertos she did so well.

That said, three others came to mind while I was considering the question:

• János Starker does a great Kodály sonata, and I also have (somewhere) his Road to Cello Playing CD that has some liner notes I find hilarious.  To paraphrase: "If you're intimidated by how well I play these etudes, you're probably not cut out to be a professional musician."
  • I am fond of Pablo Casals's recording of the Bach suites.
  • My favorite Yo-Yo Ma recordings are the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack and the stuff he's done with the Silk Road Ensemble.

On 12/29/2022 at 1:48 PM, Aes Sedai said:

Hey cellists...

Cannon in D.

You know what they say... the composer wrote the first eight notes for the cello and played them and just thought they were so beautiful that he had a heart attack and died and that's why there's not anymore notes for the cello to play.

also,

Spoiler

You cellists are taking over the world.

At my last orchestra day workshop thingy, there were more cellos than the entire woodwind section…
. of course the same could be said for flutes, on another orchestra I’m doing there are 90 flutes. 90.

Edited by Shadowed
ayy 100 posts!