Things that parents/siblings do that infuriates you

12 hours ago, Morningtide said:

My parents decided today that reading does not "give me the sense of fulfillment" that "all humans want". So I need to "limit my reading" to do things that are more "productive" and give me what I apparently want out of life. 

SINCE WHEN DOES FINISHING A BOOK NOT GIVE YOU A SENSE OF FULFILLMENT. And since when do they get to decide what I want out life life and what makes me happy!!!!!!! 

My rant is done now sorry

2 hours ago, SandersonFan123 said:

Wow my mom said that reading fantasy negatively impacts my grades and that I really need to take a break. This is just horrible and im like WHAT WHY cause fantasy is the only genre I read. Although I found a way out by reading the Reckoners which I describe as Dystopian. 

You guys that's the worst ;-; my mom banned me from books, but at least i'm allowed to read them again once i give a report on these 10 self help books she gave me lol. i hope you guys get your books back :( maybe you could write them a persuasive essay on why reading is fulfilling and sharpens your mind or something and they'd let you read more?

or just tell them you could be addicted to drugs instead of fantasy, and they're actually really really lucky that you like reading lol

Edited by Szeth's Facepalm

59 minutes ago, Szeth's Facepalm said:

You guys that's the worst ;-; my mom banned me from books, but at least i'm allowed to read them again once i give a report on these 10 self help books she gave me lol. i hope you guys get your books back :( maybe you could write them a persuasive essay on why reading is fulfilling and sharpens your mind or something and they'd let you read more?

or just tell them you could be addicted to drugs instead of fantasy, and they're actually really really lucky that you like reading lol

Self help books kinda suck. Sometimes they can be fine but in my experience they're usually trash :( I think i'll get my books back soon, my parents aren't the best at remembering which random things the said they'd do. 

I could try that :lol: That would go over very interestingly lol

8 hours ago, Morningtide said:

Self help books kinda suck. Sometimes they can be fine but in my experience they're usually trash :( I think i'll get my books back soon, my parents aren't the best at remembering which random things the said they'd do. 

I could try that :lol: That would go over very interestingly lol

I totally agree, self-help books just annoy me. Luckily my parents aren't like that for books.

Just now, The Sibling said:

When they pause a song in the middle. It breaks my brain and makes me want to throw something.

Unrelated, the first two posts on both pages of this topic are from the same two people, so when you switch pages it looks weird.

That is a weird on LOL

You are correct it looks very weird.

I am the eldest brother of eight siblings, my parents are strict and they always take it out on me, in addition to the fact that I cannot skip any rule, so when my sisters skip it I complain but nothing happens, something only happens when I skip it.
Looking at the comments, I realize that the people here are very young. Is there no forum to say how old they are?

19 minutes ago, The Sibling said:

When they pause a song in the middle. It breaks my brain and makes me want to throw something.

YES THIS. AH IT'S THE WORST

@Cellit I don't think that there's a specific forum for that but there is the Non-Adult Club and Adult Club for people who are not adults and who are adults respectively :)

Edited by Morningtide

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2023 at 2:53 PM, Cellit said:

I am the eldest brother of eight siblings, my parents are strict and they always take it out on me, in addition to the fact that I cannot skip any rule, so when my sisters skip it I complain but nothing happens, something only happens when I skip it.
Looking at the comments, I realize that the people here are very young. Is there no forum to say how old they are?

My parents are the same(especially my mom) Also I asked my mom to go through and proofread a rough draft that was due as a final soon and she turned telling me what she thought was wrong into a 30 world lesson. She always takes things out on me rarely giving me a break... 

Parents can sometimes be the worst especially moms.

• 11 months later...

I just read this whole thread and I know I would not survive ten minutes with most of the things that have been mentioned. I would either break down because my brain would overload with reasons why it sucks and trying to find what possible reason there could be for it or I would walk up to them coldly and basically break down why they're wrong and I'm right and then I would do that literally every day, staging a Cold War situation, pressing on only the areas where they cannot take stuff away from me without making themselves feel bad.

Basically, I would manipulate the situation to my desires.

you know, like a normal human being who totally hasn't rped too many villains...

Holy crap...

I have soooo much

I'm the second-oldest, but my older brother is... ummm... shall we say toxic, and has some mental things going on (Not as many disorders as me tho :P

and all the responsibility falls on me and they wonder why I'm suicidal...

I always get the "Thank you for not being like your brother, we like how responsible you are, how we can have a civil conversation with you"

T-T

I have to be the responsible one, and keep everything inside...

I can't have a big reaction to anything, and if I do, they punish me.

I have to hold the brave face for all my younger siblings, and show my hurt...

I have to babysit the children, even though it terrifies me...

*sigh*

that's my rant... ta-da!

@Szeth's Facepalm @Morningtide and anybody else that may find this useful:

Youth Reading and adult success (links and a small extract for research papers):

Spoiler

Relationships between reading age, education and life outcomes

Spoiler

Executive Summary

Reading ability has a considerable impact on both educational attainment and wider life outcomes. Research finds robust associations between reading ability and educational success, and reading enjoyment and reading behaviour appear to be key mechanisms in this relationship. Reading ability affects attainment in literacy and, due to the need to read to gather information and understand examination instructions, reading ability also affects attainment across the curriculum.

<snip>

However, on balance the existing literature suggests that reading is a crucially important component of achieving success in education and throughout life.

Complex World of Adolescent Literacy

Spoiler

By focusing on what features of texts youth find motivating, the authors find that reading and writing frequently occur in a range of literacy contexts outside school. However, only reading novels on a regular basis outside of school is shown to have a positive relationship to academic achievement as measured by school grades. This article describes how adolescents read texts that are embedded in social networks, allowing them to build social capital. Conclusions are framed in terms of the mysteries that remain — namely, how to build on what motivates adolescents' literacy practices in order to both promote the building of their social selves and improve their academic outcomes.

The relationship between adolescent reading habits and older adult social engagement

Spoiler

Adolescent reading was related to more frequent older adult social engagement with both family and friends. This relationship was independent of reading during older adulthood, social engagement during adolescence, and social-cognition at both life-stages. Adolescent social engagement was not associated with older adult reading in the two-wave, cross-lagged model. Reading was positively related to social-cognition in adolescence, but was insignificant in older adulthood. And, social-cognition was positively related to social engagement in both adolescence and older adulthood.

Sci-Fi and Fantasy Build Mental Resiliency in Young Readers

Spoiler

I am a professor with research interests in the social, ethical and political messages in science fiction. In my book “Medicine and Ethics in Black Women’s Speculative Fiction,” I explore the ways science fiction promotes understanding of human differences and ethical thinking.

While many people may not consider science fiction, fantasy or speculative fiction to be “literary,” research shows that all fiction can generate critical thinking skills and emotional intelligence for young readers. Science fiction may have a power all its own.

<snip>

Reading science fiction and fantasy can help readers make sense of the world. Rather than limiting readers’ capacity to deal with reality, exposure to outside-the-box creative stories may expand their ability to engage reality based on science.

A 2015 survey of science fiction and fantasy readers found that these readers were also major consumers of a wide range of other types of books and media. In fact, the study noted a connection between respondents’ consumption of varied literary forms and an ability to understand science.

Also, a person posting here has had PM discussions with me (I'll leave it to them to self-identify if they so chose) and if anybody wants to ask a question for an adult perspective, without recrimination, please feel free to PM me.

I can't guarantee that you will like my answers (context and many other factors), but I can say that I will be honest and fair in discourse. 

And, in the context of the OP (though I am old) I'll share this story from the 90's.

Spoiler

When Terminator 2 was first released (1991), my father disagreed with the ending, not believing that Arnold's character would have had to destroy himself. I thought we were having a fun conversation, and was a STEM nerd, and very into SciFi at the time (especially Asimov). As I tried to describe to him the theories of temporal causation (right or not, just the context the movie was referencing) he got exasperated and decided he was right only because he was the adult - so he made me write 1000 times "I will not contradict irrefutable evidence espoused by my father."

We had recently gotten a computer, so I asked him if I could type it instead to practice typing (he did not understand computers, especially copy/paste - child of the great depression that he was) so I went to the computer room, typed it once, copy/pasted by doubles (1,2,4,8,16,etc) and was done in minutes; then spent the next 4 hours reading Sphere by Michael Crichton while he thought I was typing his "homework."

Edited by Treamayne
SPAG/Example Update

On 2/3/2024 at 10:16 PM, Treamayne said:

@Szeth's Facepalm @Morningtide and anybody else that may find this useful:

Youth Reading and adult success (links and a small extract for research papers):

Reveal hidden contents

Relationships between reading age, education and life outcomes

Reveal hidden contents

Executive Summary

Reading ability has a considerable impact on both educational attainment and wider life outcomes. Research finds robust associations between reading ability and educational success, and reading enjoyment and reading behaviour appear to be key mechanisms in this relationship. Reading ability affects attainment in literacy and, due to the need to read to gather information and understand examination instructions, reading ability also affects attainment across the curriculum.

<snip>

However, on balance the existing literature suggests that reading is a crucially important component of achieving success in education and throughout life.

Complex World of Adolescent Literacy

Reveal hidden contents

By focusing on what features of texts youth find motivating, the authors find that reading and writing frequently occur in a range of literacy contexts outside school. However, only reading novels on a regular basis outside of school is shown to have a positive relationship to academic achievement as measured by school grades. This article describes how adolescents read texts that are embedded in social networks, allowing them to build social capital. Conclusions are framed in terms of the mysteries that remain — namely, how to build on what motivates adolescents' literacy practices in order to both promote the building of their social selves and improve their academic outcomes.

The relationship between adolescent reading habits and older adult social engagement

Reveal hidden contents

Adolescent reading was related to more frequent older adult social engagement with both family and friends. This relationship was independent of reading during older adulthood, social engagement during adolescence, and social-cognition at both life-stages. Adolescent social engagement was not associated with older adult reading in the two-wave, cross-lagged model. Reading was positively related to social-cognition in adolescence, but was insignificant in older adulthood. And, social-cognition was positively related to social engagement in both adolescence and older adulthood.

Reveal hidden contents

I am a professor with research interests in the social, ethical and political messages in science fiction. In my book “Medicine and Ethics in Black Women’s Speculative Fiction,” I explore the ways science fiction promotes understanding of human differences and ethical thinking.

While many people may not consider science fiction, fantasy or speculative fiction to be “literary,” research shows that all fiction can generate critical thinking skills and emotional intelligence for young readers. Science fiction may have a power all its own.

<snip>

Reading science fiction and fantasy can help readers make sense of the world. Rather than limiting readers’ capacity to deal with reality, exposure to outside-the-box creative stories may expand their ability to engage reality based on science.

A 2015 survey of science fiction and fantasy readers found that these readers were also major consumers of a wide range of other types of books and media. In fact, the study noted a connection between respondents’ consumption of varied literary forms and an ability to understand science.

Also, a person posting here has had PM discussions with me (I'll leave it to them to self-identify if they so chose) and if anybody wants to ask a question for an adult perspective, without recrimination, please feel free to PM me.

I can't guarantee that you will like my answers (context and many other factors), but I can say that I will be honest and fair in discourse. 

And, in the context of the OP (though I am old) I'll share this story from the 90's.

Reveal hidden contents

When Terminator 2 was first released (1991), my father disagreed with the ending, not believing that Arnold's character would have had to destroy himself. I thought we were having a fun conversation, and was a STEM nerd, and very into SciFi at the time (especially Asimov). As I tried to describe to him the theories of temporal causation (right or not, just the context the movie was referencing) he got exasperated and decided he was right only because he was the adult - so he made me write 1000 times "I will not contradict irrefutable evidence espoused by my father."

We had recently gotten a computer, so I asked him if I could type it instead to practice typing (he did not understand computers, especially copy/paste - child of the great depression that he was) so I went to the computer room, typed it once, copy/pasted by doubles (1,2,4,8,16,etc) and was done in minutes; then spent the next 4 hours reading Sphere by Michael Crichton while he thought I was typing his "homework."

That last part! *brain explosion*

That's genius! 

• 2 weeks later...

When my parents ask me if I have a girlfriend. then, when I respond with "no.", they ask if it's a boy. "also no."

I have no maidens of any kind, nor plans to get any. 

if i'm smiling at something, It ain't because horny. 

Edited by Just_a_Fan

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2023 at 5:52 PM, Wittles said:

Don't you hate it when your parents give increasingly illogical explanations for things they don't want you doing but are perfectly fine? (i.e. the shard)

Not exactly this but it hits the same vein I think.

For some reason if I'm on my phone/my computer, they bother me and want me to do stuff, but if I watch TV they don't.