4 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

So, I learned something. Liz was a child once. 

A lesson:

Hide contents

Liz sat quietly on the wooden chair, looking at the man in front of her. He looked so sad. 

“I…I love you, Lizzy, okay? Whatever happens next, remember that.”

She frowned. “Papa, what…what did I do?”

“No, it isn’t your fault, Lizzy, I should’ve…I didn’t…it woulda happened eventually. Sometimes, my sweet girl, things happen, an’ we can’t stop ‘em. That don’t mean it makes us happy, yeah?”

“Okay,” Liz said, lip trembling. 

“You’re jus’ growing up, see? It’s not a bad thing, jus…you’re outgrowing our little world, my girl.”

She started to cry. “Papa, I’m sorry.”

“Ah, Lizzy…I think…I think ye need to go to the Academy.”

She froze. The Academy…a place from stories. And books, like the one she’d read, only hundreds of them. A place of learning… “Why?” She whispered. 

“Because…because yer so bright, you’ll only ever be sad if ye stay. An’…an’ maybe you’ll come back, like the innkeeper's wife. An’ maybe you won’t,” he said, scratching his beard. “But the way I figure, you’ll be happier tha’ way. An’…And your Ma would want you happy.”

“Papa?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m scared.”

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and safe. “Ye don’t have to go. I just wan’ you to be happy. An’…you aren’t happy here.”

“I want to go,” Liz said, “I’m just scared.”

“Me too,” he said. “But Darlla…Mrs. Inell will teach ye. And if ye want to stay, yer always welcome home.”

Mrs. Inell was plump and happy, everything you’d expect from an innkeeper’s wife and nothing you’d expect from an Academy graduate. But Liz went to her anyway, because her father told her too. And she winked, and wiped her hands on her apron, and gestured for Liz to follow. So she did.

“Are you sure…” Liz trailed off, gasping as she entered the basement. Where most inns had cellars filled with wine or food, hers was filled with books. There must have been hundreds of them. (There were 43).

Mrs. Inell laughed. “I can teach you what you need to survive the Academy. But if you want to get anything from it, you’ll need spirit of your own.” Liz nodded, determined. “You taught yourself to read. That’s a good start…but those were children’s tales. There is much you need to learn.”

Liz nodded apprehensively. “But you’ll teach me, right?”

“I will,” Mrs. Inell said, leaning forward and flicking Liz’s nose. “And for today, you need to learn about the other students.”

Liz frowned. “What do they have to do with anything, Mrs. Inell?”

She winked. “Oh, you can call me Darlla. Formality makes my head hurt, especially if we’re going to be spending so much time together.”

“Um. Okay. What do the students have to do with anything, Darlla?”

“Everything,” she replied with a wink. She seemed to do that a lot. “You see, nearly all of them will be rich, the sons and daughters of nobility. Mostly sons. And you…you are a poor girl from a village no one’s ever heard of.”

“Why does that matter?”

Darlla snorted. “Oh, Lizzy…” she shook her head fondly. “Status is an important thing, in most places.”

“Okay…”

“Let’s…let’s try something. If you saw a King, what would you do?”

Liz blinked. “Um. Curtsey?”

Darlla nodded. “Yes, but how? Show me, my dear.” Liz grabbed her cotton dress in her hands, bending her knees, and trying to spread her skirt at the same time…then she lost her balance, falling on her face. She stood back up, cheeks burning as Darlla laughed. “Girl, it’s a good thing you’ve never seen the King.” She gestured for Liz to sit, then stood up and smoothly curtseyed. Then did it again, then again. Liz could see no difference between them, but Darlla said, “The first is for royalty. The second, a high lord or lady. The third, an heir.”

Liz shook her head, awed. “And you just…know that? They all look the same to me!”

Darlla winked again. “That’s why I’m here to teach you, my dear. Now, shoulders back. Chin down, even when speaking to someone taller than you…”

Liz spent the next three hours relearning how to stand, how to speak, how to smile, how to laugh. It was exhausting; she felt completely useless. They didn’t even touch the books, just stood and sat and curtsied. Finally, though, Darlla nodded.

“You’ll be needing to get home now, I’m sure.”

Liz nodded. “Do people really…do people act like this all the time, at the Academy?”

“They do,” Darlla said with a smile. “And most other places, too. I know it’s tiring now, but the more you do it the easier it’ll get. And really, my dear, it’s the things you’re learning now that’ll help you the most. Practice talking the way I’ve showed you; otherwise, you’ll never be more than a farm girl with a lisp. The sooner you can learn these basics, the better you’ll get on at the Academy.”

Liz nodded again, determined to show this woman she was worth something. “Yes, ma’am.” She stood up to go, then turned back. “I…do I really have to curtsy to everyone I meet there?”

Darlly patted the seat next to her, and Liz sat back down. “Look at me,” she said. Liz obeyed. “The Academy is…utterly unique. No where else will you find so many proud youth forced to reside together. They’ll want you to bow. If you let them, they’ll gleefully make you crawl through the mud, just for fun. You can bow to all of them, or you can bow to none of them. I would that it were different, dear, but it isn’t.” 

Liz frowned. “I don’t want to bow to any of them. But…won’t I get in trouble for that?”

Darlla smiled, abruptly pulling her into a tight hug. “I have a hunch you’ll get into plenty of trouble before you're through with the Academy. And no matter what your father says, I wouldn't want it any other way. And I don't think you do, either."

Hide contents

*giggles* "won't I get in trouble" I love her character arc...it's so much fun.

Coming up next: possibly more things from the beginning, or maybe maaaaaayyybe  Some Liz/Ien romance.

*giggles too* I love her story so much :333

9 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

A lesson:

Reveal hidden contents

Liz sat quietly on the wooden chair, looking at the man in front of her. He looked so sad. 

“No, it isn’t your fault, Lizzy, I should’ve…I didn’t…it woulda happened eventually. Sometimes, my sweet girl, things happen, an’ we can’t stop ‘em. That don’t mean it makes us happy, yeah?”

“You’re jus’ growing up, see? It’s not a bad thing, jus…you’re outgrowing our little world, my girl.”

She froze. The Academy…a place from stories. And books, like the one she’d read, only hundreds of them. A place of learning… “Why?” She whispered. 

“Because…because yer so bright, you’ll only ever be sad if ye stay. An’…an’ maybe you’ll come back, like the innkeeper's wife. An’ maybe you won’t,” he said, scratching his beard. “But the way I figure, you’ll be happier tha’ way. An’…And your Ma would want you happy.”

“Papa?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m scared.”

He wrapped his arms around her, holding her close and safe. “Ye don’t have to go. I just wan’ you to be happy. An’…you aren’t happy here.”

“Me too,” he said. “But Darlla…Mrs. Inell will teach ye. And if ye want to stay, yer always welcome home.”

Mrs. Inell was plump and happy, everything you’d expect from an innkeeper’s wife and nothing you’d expect from an Academy graduate. But Liz went to her anyway, because her father told her too. And she winked, and wiped her hands on her apron, and gestured for Liz to follow. So she did.

“Are you sure…” Liz trailed off, gasping as she entered the basement. Where most inns had cellars filled with wine or food, hers was filled with books. There must have been hundreds of them. (There were 43).

Mrs. Inell laughed. “I can teach you what you need to survive the Academy. But if you want to get anything from it, you’ll need spirit of your own.” Liz nodded, determined. “You taught yourself to read. That’s a good start…but those were children’s tales. There is much you need to learn.”

“I will,” Mrs. Inell said, leaning forward and flicking Liz’s nose. “And for today, you need to learn about the other students.”

She winked. “Oh, you can call me Darlla. Formality makes my head hurt, especially if we’re going to be spending so much time together.”

“Everything,” she replied with a wink. She seemed to do that a lot. “You see, nearly all of them will be rich, the sons and daughters of nobility. Mostly sons. And you…you are a poor girl from a village no one’s ever heard of.”

“Why does that matter?”

Darlla snorted. “Oh, Lizzy…” she shook her head fondly. “Status is an important thing, in most places.”

“Okay…”

Darlla nodded. “Yes, but how? Show me, my dear.” Liz grabbed her cotton dress in her hands, bending her knees, and trying to spread her skirt at the same time…then she lost her balance, falling on her face. She stood back up, cheeks burning as Darlla laughed. “Girl, it’s a good thing you’ve never seen the King.” She gestured for Liz to sit, then stood up and smoothly curtseyed. Then did it again, then again. Liz could see no difference between them, but Darlla said, “The first is for royalty. The second, a high lord or lady. The third, an heir.”

Liz shook her head, awed. “And you just…know that? They all look the same to me!”

Darlla winked again. “That’s why I’m here to teach you, my dear. Now, shoulders back. Chin down, even when speaking to someone taller than you…”

Liz spent the next three hours relearning how to stand, how to speak, how to smile, how to laugh. It was exhausting; she felt completely useless. They didn’t even touch the books, just stood and sat and curtsied. Finally, though, Darlla nodded.

Liz nodded. “Do people really…do people act like this all the time, at the Academy?”

“They do,” Darlla said with a smile. “And most other places, too. I know it’s tiring now, but the more you do it the easier it’ll get. And really, my dear, it’s the things you’re learning now that’ll help you the most. Practice talking the way I’ve showed you; otherwise, you’ll never be more than a farm girl with a lisp. The sooner you can learn these basics, the better you’ll get on at the Academy.”

Liz nodded again, determined to show this woman she was worth something. “Yes, ma’am.” She stood up to go, then turned back. “I…do I really have to curtsy to everyone I meet there?”

Darlly patted the seat next to her, and Liz sat back down. “Look at me,” she said. Liz obeyed. “The Academy is…utterly unique. No where else will you find so many proud youth forced to reside together. They’ll want you to bow. If you let them, they’ll gleefully make you crawl through the mud, just for fun. You can bow to all of them, or you can bow to none of them. I would that it were different, dear, but it isn’t.” 

Liz frowned. “I don’t want to bow to any of them. But…won’t I get in trouble for that?”

Darlla smiled, abruptly pulling her into a tight hug. “I have a hunch you’ll get into plenty of trouble before you're through with the Academy. And no matter what your father says, I wouldn't want it any other way. And I don't think you do, either."

Reveal hidden contents

Coming up next: possibly more things from the beginning, or maybe maaaaaayyybe  Some Liz/Ien romance.

What is this??? Liz had a childhood :P

Very good, as always!

2 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

A lesson:

Hide contents

“Papa?”

“Yeah?”

“I’m scared.”

“Why does that matter?”

“Okay…”

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

"You can bow to all of them, or you can bow to none of them."

That is such an awesome line and I love it

2 hours ago, Wittles said:
  Reveal hidden contents

"You can bow to all of them, or you can bow to none of them."

That is such an awesome line and I love it

Thank you!! I actually love that one so much, (no it’s not the entire reason I wrote that whaaaaat) it’s one that I’ll probably bring up again and again as we see her growing :D 

Okay, hey guys! Liz happened tonight (I got lonely and wrote romance xD). 

But first, some cool updates! So about 2/3 of my writing is split between two big docs I have, it used to all be on the same one but then it got so big it started breaking my phone every time I opened it, so I made a new one. This isn't all Liz, since it includes many of my little scenes and poems and things, but anyway, these two docs now add up to 83,629 words, which I think is pretty awesome!

Um anyway, this is all written from Ien's perspective, it's mostly a fun montage thing but I had fun writing it!

(also @The Halcyon Girl, if you want to read things I write it's basically all here lol)

Montage!

Spoiler

Ien froze. He couldn’t speak, the first time he saw her. Only here a month, and already…he turned to Siylna, raising an eyebrow curiously.

“This is Liz,” she said, as if she were offering him a gift. “And she intends to grovel before every petty merchant’s son she meets.”

The stranger flushed. “This is Siylna,” she said, mimicking Siylna’s tone. “And she has no dreams for tomorrow.”

Ien blinked. “Uh, I’m Ien. Iendenn Marsvall.” 

“Marsvall?” Liz mused. Ien nodded. About time someone respects… The girl spat at his feet. “Lovely,” she muttered. 

“Come on,” Siylna drawled. “He’s not that bad.”

Liz shrugged and Ien found himself watching her. “Is she new?” He asked Siylna.

“I can speak for myself,” Liz snapped, and Siylna laughed. 

“I have a feeling she’ll teach you a thing or two,” Siylna said, laughing and leaning against a tree.

Ien glowered. “What do you want?” He asked Liz. 

She shrugged. “I want a lot of things.”

“What do you want from me?”

“Nothing,” she said, lightning quick. “Ask your friend.”

“She’s not my—”

“He doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Siylna cut in. “We’ll just have to show him.”

Liz laughed, and Ien found himself suddenly grateful that Siylna had latched onto him, and hoping that Liz would stick around. 

Liz was glaring at him. “What’s wrong with you?” She snapped.

Ien raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you? If you can’t handle watching one person get whipped, you’d best go home now, farm girl.”

Liz gaped at him, looking to Siylna for help…but the other girl looked away. “I am not a farm girl,” she hissed. “And this has nothing to do with what I can handle.”

Ien said nothing, letting the silence stretch. Liz was tough. She’d get over this, and they’d continue right on studying and it would be just fine. Only…she’d been going on about this whipping all day, and only seemed to be getting worse. And Siylna was angry too. 

Liz took a long breath. “I care, Ien, and if you don’t, then spirits help me, because I will beat it into you if I have to. That boy is a person, the same as you or I or Si or anyone here.”

Ien blinked. “That’s your problem? You care about a slave?” Out of the corner of his eye, he thought he saw Siylna’s fists clench. Neither of them said anything. “Liz? Si? What, you want me to start fighting for slave rights, to go around saying that we should treat them better?” 

Finally, Siylna shook her head. “I am sorry,” she said, “for how you were raised. All human life has value, and whoever taught you otherwise deserves a great deal of pain.” 

Liz nodded. “Whatever palace you come from is a hellish place,” she said.

Ien paused. He wanted to argue, but he paused. They were often right, when it came to things like this. And they both looked so sad, so genuinely sorry…for him? They’d both come from poor backgrounds, both needing to work just to eat. Both of them feeling like they had it better than him made him wonder. The silence stretched until Liz finally shook her head, smiling softly.

“Oh, Ien,” she started.

He looked at her. “Don’t,” he warned. “Don’t you dare condescend to me because you think I should care about some slave.”

Liz snorted, her smile dropping away. “Oh, but it’s okay for you to talk about a person that way?”

“Why does it matter?” He snapped. “My father-” he cut himself off. There was no quicker way to lose an argument with Liz than to remind her he was nobility. “The same thing happens all over this kingdom, every day. It’s just the way the world is.”

“It doesn’t have to be,” Siylna said quietly.

Ien shook his head. “Yes, it does. You…you’re both peasants. You don’t understand how much it costs to pay for regular labor, don’t understand the bigger picture. At least this way they have food, homes.”

“I would rather live on the street if it means I’m free,” Siylna shot back. “I’ve done it before and I’d do it again.”

There was silence, and Ien felt a coldness running through him. “You were…” he couldn’t quite finish the sentence.

Siylna gave him a flat look. “Would you whip me without a second thought? Do you think that I’m less than human, now?” She stood up, shaking her head. “Don’t be a fool, Ien.” Then she turned and left. 

Liz waited a long moment. “What are you thinking?” She finally asked.

Ien just shook his head. He wasn’t quite sure what to think. It wasn’t that he liked the way slaves were treated, but…that was how it was. The world kept turning because of the lives of people who were worth nothing. “I’d…like to understand,” he said quietly. “I’d like to understand, even if I never feel the way you two do.”

Liz smiled, reaching for his hand and pulling him to his feet. “Come on, then. I have an idea.” She winked, and Ien felt himself smile. She was unlike any noble born lady he’d met. And maybe she was a naive fool, but she made him feel alive in a way he never had before. He would follow her anywhere.

Ien was watching the sky through the branches of a large oak. He liked the sky, liked the quiet of being outside. It was nice to just sit, once in a while, to be alone and at peace. 

“Hey,” a voice said behind him. Liz. He smiled, scooting over so there was room for her to lean on the thick tree. 

“Hey,” he replied. Being alone might be nice, but being with her was better. 

“Six months,” she murmured after a moment, leaning her head on his shoulder. “Can you believe it’s only been six months since I got here?”

“No,” he answered truthfully. “Somehow, it feels like I’ve always known you.”

She laughed, and he smiled, letting thoughts of a certain letter slip away. Tomorrow would come, and with it, his father and responsibility. But for today, it was just him. And Liz. And for a moment, he could let himself believe that it would always be that way. So Ien reached for her hand, and brought it to his lips, giving it a gentle kiss. 

It was the night he lost her. Really lost her. But he didn’t know that, not yet. Just then, they were hand in hand, walking slowly through the thick wood that surrounded the Academy. The stars glittered in the deep blue sky. Neither of them spoke. There was no need for words, no way for either of them to voice the love in their hearts. 

Liz pulled him off the path, then let go of his hand and grabbed a tree branch, pulling herself up. Ien laughed, climbing after her. She’d always been daring, brave in a way that was completely foreign to him. As soon as Ien had reached her, Liz jumped back to the ground, laughing and skipping ahead. Ien ran after her, catching her and putting his arms around her waist.

She turned, smiling up at him, then stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. Ien’s mind went blank. This was love. This surety that she’d always be here, the knowledge that if he ever started to stumble she would catch him, and his determination to always do the same for her. The dreams in her eyes and the desperate wishes in his heart. That was love. He kissed her back, pulling her close. And something in his gut twisted, just the tiniest bit.

“Lizzy,” he started.

“Shh,” she said. “Just shh. I know this can’t last. I know your father will arrange a marriage with some noble lady, and you’ll have to leave me behind, and we’ll both hate it, but please. Just give me tonight, and if it all ends tomorrow, we can cry then.”

Ien nodded. “Okay,” he whispered, leaning in and kissing her again.

And then Liz was ripped out of his arms, and he cried out. A pair of hooded figures was pulling her backwards, away from him. Her eyes were wild, desperate as she struggled. Several more figures came out of the trees. Ien took it all in, and then, in a moment of terror that he would regret the rest of his life, he turned and ran. He ran until he was gasping for breath, until he could barely stand, and then he collapsed at the base of a familiar old oak. His eyes stung, and he let out a quiet sob. 

She’d taught him what love was. She’d taught him to care, been his friend and loved him through all his mistakes. And in return, he’d left her.

Ien jerked awake, gasping. It was dark. He blinked, waiting for his eyes to adjust, trying to shake the dreams from his mind. His eyes didn’t adjust. It stayed dark. And then he remembered. Of course. He stood up, chains jangling loudly. He tried to stretch his aching muscles; the stone floor made a poor bed. 

The most interesting thing about the dungeon was…well, nothing. There was no way to pass the time except to wonder what the Lady of Darkness wanted with him. What was he worth to her, except as another slave? Or had she figured out he was nobility? That was most likely it…

He sat in the quiet for hours, steadily growing more bored and less nervous.

Finally, there was a change. A faint light, and the clicking of shoes on stone. Ien stood, glaring through the bars. He wouldn’t give in to this tyrant, wouldn’t bow before such a monster. He pushed the last bits of his dreams from his mind just in time to see…to see…

He stumbled back against the wall as if he’d been hit, shaking his head. “Lizzy?” He whispered. It couldn’t be. It had to be some kind of trick, some deception from the real Lady of Darkness. But the girl smiled, and it was Liz’s smile. 

“I’ve missed you, Ien,” she said, and his heart melted. “It’s been a hard few years.”

“I…” He shook his head, overcome with the emotion. “I thought you were dead. I thought I’d lost you forever.”

She snorted. “I’m surprised you care.”

“Lizzy,” he started, heartbroken.

“No,” she snapped. “No. You can’t just call me ‘Lizzy’ and pretend it isn’t your fault. I am not the person I was, Ien.”

“I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I’m sorry.”

“No,” she said, “you aren’t. But you will be.”

He looked at her, confused. “What…Lizzy, what happened to you? Please, please just talk to me.”

She shook her head. She was furious, he realized, but not in the way he knew. He was used to bright anger, hot and emotional and uncontrolled. But this was a cool fury. She controlled every part of herself, and she wanted him to hurt. It was…it was terrifying. “Talk to you?” She asked, laughing. “Talk to you? I loved you, Ien. I loved you with everything I was, and do you know what he did to me because of it?”

“W-what?” Ien asked, though he was sure he knew the answer. An icy dread spread through him as Liz held up her forearm and pulled her sleeve back. A faded scar came into view on her wrist. A brand. And the symbol…a pair of daggers, crossed through the center of a crown. A symbol Ien had seen since childhood. The sign of his father’s assassins.

“You see what he made me,” Liz hissed. “You see what he made me, because I dared to love you. But I killed him. He can’t hurt me anymore.” She laughed, looking crazed. “Can’t hurt you either. But I can.”

“No,” Ien whispered. “No, Liz, please. Don’t do this.”

She shook her head sadly. “It’s too late for that. He broke me, Ien. And now I have the pleasure of doing the same to you.”

Spoiler

So um yes Liz is a pathological liar and a monster. But she loved...loves...Ien so much, and I enjoyed writing about their relationship :) 

14 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

But first, some cool updates! So about 2/3 of my writing is split between two big docs I have, it used to all be on the same one but then it got so big it started breaking my phone every time I opened it, so I made a new one. This isn't all Liz, since it includes many of my little scenes and poems and things, but anyway, these two docs now add up to 83,629 words, which I think is pretty awesome!

Um anyway, this is all written from Ien's perspective, it's mostly a fun montage thing but I had fun writing it!

(also @The Halcyon Girl, if you want to read things I write it's basically all here lol)

Montage!

Hide contents

Ien froze. He couldn’t speak, the first time he saw her. Only here a month, and already…he turned to Siylna, raising an eyebrow curiously.

“This is Liz,” she said, as if she were offering him a gift. “And she intends to grovel before every petty merchant’s son she meets.”

The stranger flushed. “This is Siylna,” she said, mimicking Siylna’s tone. “And she has no dreams for tomorrow.”

“Marsvall?” Liz mused. Ien nodded. About time someone respects… The girl spat at his feet. “Lovely,” she muttered. 

“I have a feeling she’ll teach you a thing or two,” Siylna said, laughing and leaning against a tree.

“She’s not my—”

“He doesn’t know what he’s talking about,” Siylna cut in. “We’ll just have to show him.”

Liz laughed, and Ien found himself suddenly grateful that Siylna had latched onto him, and hoping that Liz would stick around. 

Ien raised an eyebrow. “What’s wrong with me? What’s wrong with you? If you can’t handle watching one person get whipped, you’d best go home now, farm girl.”

Liz gaped at him, looking to Siylna for help…but the other girl looked away. “I am not a farm girl,” she hissed. “And this has nothing to do with what I can handle.”

Ien said nothing, letting the silence stretch. Liz was tough. She’d get over this, and they’d continue right on studying and it would be just fine. Only…she’d been going on about this whipping all day, and only seemed to be getting worse. And Siylna was angry too. 

Liz took a long breath. “I care, Ien, and if you don’t, then spirits help me, because I will beat it into you if I have to. That boy is a person, the same as you or I or Si or anyone here.”

Ien blinked. “That’s your problem? You care about a slave?” Out of the corner of his eye, he thought he saw Siylna’s fists clench. Neither of them said anything. “Liz? Si? What, you want me to start fighting for slave rights, to go around saying that we should treat them better?” 

Finally, Siylna shook her head. “I am sorry,” she said, “for how you were raised. All human life has value, and whoever taught you otherwise deserves a great deal of pain.” 

Ien paused. He wanted to argue, but he paused. They were often right, when it came to things like this. And they both looked so sad, so genuinely sorry…for him? They’d both come from poor backgrounds, both needing to work just to eat. Both of them feeling like they had it better than him made him wonder. The silence stretched until Liz finally shook her head, smiling softly.

“Oh, Ien,” she started.

He looked at her. “Don’t,” he warned. “Don’t you dare condescend to me because you think I should care about some slave.”

Liz snorted, her smile dropping away. “Oh, but it’s okay for you to talk about a person that way?”

“Why does it matter?” He snapped. “My father-” he cut himself off. There was no quicker way to lose an argument with Liz than to remind her he was nobility. “The same thing happens all over this kingdom, every day. It’s just the way the world is.”

Ien shook his head. “Yes, it does. You…you’re both peasants. You don’t understand how much it costs to pay for regular labor, don’t understand the bigger picture. At least this way they have food, homes.”

“I would rather live on the street if it means I’m free,” Siylna shot back. “I’ve done it before and I’d do it again.”

There was silence, and Ien felt a coldness running through him. “You were…” he couldn’t quite finish the sentence.

Siylna gave him a flat look. “Would you whip me without a second thought? Do you think that I’m less than human, now?” She stood up, shaking her head. “Don’t be a fool, Ien.” Then she turned and left. 

Ien just shook his head. He wasn’t quite sure what to think. It wasn’t that he liked the way slaves were treated, but…that was how it was. The world kept turning because of the lives of people who were worth nothing. “I’d…like to understand,” he said quietly. “I’d like to understand, even if I never feel the way you two do.”

Liz smiled, reaching for his hand and pulling him to his feet. “Come on, then. I have an idea.” She winked, and Ien felt himself smile. She was unlike any noble born lady he’d met. And maybe she was a naive fool, but she made him feel alive in a way he never had before. He would follow her anywhere.

Ien was watching the sky through the branches of a large oak. He liked the sky, liked the quiet of being outside. It was nice to just sit, once in a while, to be alone and at peace. 

“Hey,” a voice said behind him. Liz. He smiled, scooting over so there was room for her to lean on the thick tree. 

“Six months,” she murmured after a moment, leaning her head on his shoulder. “Can you believe it’s only been six months since I got here?”

She laughed, and he smiled, letting thoughts of a certain letter slip away. Tomorrow would come, and with it, his father and responsibility. But for today, it was just him. And Liz. And for a moment, he could let himself believe that it would always be that way. So Ien reached for her hand, and brought it to his lips, giving it a gentle kiss. 

It was the night he lost her. Really lost her. But he didn’t know that, not yet. Just then, they were hand in hand, walking slowly through the thick wood that surrounded the Academy. The stars glittered in the deep blue sky. Neither of them spoke. There was no need for words, no way for either of them to voice the love in their hearts. 

Liz pulled him off the path, then let go of his hand and grabbed a tree branch, pulling herself up. Ien laughed, climbing after her. She’d always been daring, brave in a way that was completely foreign to him. As soon as Ien had reached her, Liz jumped back to the ground, laughing and skipping ahead. Ien ran after her, catching her and putting his arms around her waist.

She turned, smiling up at him, then stood on her tiptoes and kissed him. Ien’s mind went blank. This was love. This surety that she’d always be here, the knowledge that if he ever started to stumble she would catch him, and his determination to always do the same for her. The dreams in her eyes and the desperate wishes in his heart. That was love. He kissed her back, pulling her close. And something in his gut twisted, just the tiniest bit.

“Lizzy,” he started.

“Shh,” she said. “Just shh. I know this can’t last. I know your father will arrange a marriage with some noble lady, and you’ll have to leave me behind, and we’ll both hate it, but please. Just give me tonight, and if it all ends tomorrow, we can cry then.”

And then Liz was ripped out of his arms, and he cried out. A pair of hooded figures was pulling her backwards, away from him. Her eyes were wild, desperate as she struggled. Several more figures came out of the trees. Ien took it all in, and then, in a moment of terror that he would regret the rest of his life, he turned and ran. He ran until he was gasping for breath, until he could barely stand, and then he collapsed at the base of a familiar old oak. His eyes stung, and he let out a quiet sob. 

She’d taught him what love was. She’d taught him to care, been his friend and loved him through all his mistakes. And in return, he’d left her.

Ien jerked awake, gasping. It was dark. He blinked, waiting for his eyes to adjust, trying to shake the dreams from his mind. His eyes didn’t adjust. It stayed dark. And then he remembered. Of course. He stood up, chains jangling loudly. He tried to stretch his aching muscles; the stone floor made a poor bed. 

The most interesting thing about the dungeon was…well, nothing. There was no way to pass the time except to wonder what the Lady of Darkness wanted with him. What was he worth to her, except as another slave? Or had she figured out he was nobility? That was most likely it…

Finally, there was a change. A faint light, and the clicking of shoes on stone. Ien stood, glaring through the bars. He wouldn’t give in to this tyrant, wouldn’t bow before such a monster. He pushed the last bits of his dreams from his mind just in time to see…to see…

He stumbled back against the wall as if he’d been hit, shaking his head. “Lizzy?” He whispered. It couldn’t be. It had to be some kind of trick, some deception from the real Lady of Darkness. But the girl smiled, and it was Liz’s smile. 

“I’ve missed you, Ien,” she said, and his heart melted. “It’s been a hard few years.”

“I…” He shook his head, overcome with the emotion. “I thought you were dead. I thought I’d lost you forever.”

“No,” she snapped. “No. You can’t just call me ‘Lizzy’ and pretend it isn’t your fault. I am not the person I was, Ien.”

He looked at her, confused. “What…Lizzy, what happened to you? Please, please just talk to me.”

She shook her head. She was furious, he realized, but not in the way he knew. He was used to bright anger, hot and emotional and uncontrolled. But this was a cool fury. She controlled every part of herself, and she wanted him to hurt. It was…it was terrifying. “Talk to you?” She asked, laughing. “Talk to you? I loved you, Ien. I loved you with everything I was, and do you know what he did to me because of it?”

“W-what?” Ien asked, though he was sure he knew the answer. An icy dread spread through him as Liz held up her forearm and pulled her sleeve back. A faded scar came into view on her wrist. A brand. And the symbol…a pair of daggers, crossed through the center of a crown. A symbol Ien had seen since childhood. The sign of his father’s assassins.

“You see what he made me,” Liz hissed. “You see what he made me, because I dared to love you. But I killed him. He can’t hurt me anymore.” She laughed, looking crazed. “Can’t hurt you either. But I can.”

She shook her head sadly. “It’s too late for that. He broke me, Ien. And now I have the pleasure of doing the same to you.”

Hide contents

So um yes Liz is a pathological liar and a monster. But she loved...loves...Ien so much, and I enjoyed writing about their relationship :) 

*hugs*

It’s amazing, as always. I love Liz’s character.

13 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

That was good. Loved it.

I...genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :P 

3 minutes ago, Lightweaver2 said:

*hugs*

It’s amazing, as always. I love Liz’s character.

*hugs back* thank you!!! I do too!!

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:

I...genuinely can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :P 

*hugs back* thank you!!! I do too!!

Wasn’t trying to be sarcastic. I genuinely enjoyed it 

if you where talking about the name of the wind reference I was being sarcastic about that 

Edited by RoyalBeeMage

3 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

Wasn’t trying to be sarcastic. I genuinely enjoyed it 

if you where talking about the name of the wind reference I was being sarcastic about that 

Oops yeah I was, heehee good to know...maybe I love Kvothe a little too much...

1 hour ago, Edema Rue said:

Montage!

Hide contents

“She’s not my—”

“Oh, Ien,” she started.

“Lizzy,” he started.

Hide contents

<3333

On 1/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, Edema Rue said:

Montage!

Reveal hidden contents

“She’s not my—”

“Oh, Ien,” she started.

“Lizzy,” he started.

Reveal hidden contents

YES. JUST YES. I LOVE ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS

On 1/28/2024 at 1:19 AM, Edema Rue said:

Montage!

Reveal hidden contents

“She’s not my—”

“Oh, Ien,” she started.

“Lizzy,” he started.

Hide contents

*dies*

I WANT MORE!!!

PLEASE!!!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!

*holds out writing stick very threateningly* 

WRITE MORE PLEEEAAASSSEEE!

3 hours ago, Just-A-Stick said:

*dies*

I WANT MORE!!!

PLEASE!!!

I LOVE IT SO MUCH!!

*holds out writing stick very threateningly* 

WRITE MORE PLEEEAAASSSEEE!

Heehee thank you Stickyyyyyyy there’s a little more with them on this thread and I’ll hopefully get more written soon :))

Okay! (yes I'm double posting, sue me)

So I'm in an American Wars class right now, and for whatever reason, I can always visualize wars and characters so well. So, after a day about the revolutionary war, I have a journal entry. And I'll probably keep writing similar things as the class keeps going, it's so interesting (and sick) what humans can do to each other. The best fictional example I've found is the Poppy War (which um look at trigger warnings before reading) and it's just...stars, it's crazy. But I liked writing about it!

2/4/1769: Boston, Massachusetts 

Spoiler

I can still smell it. 

I’ve been able to smell it for days. 

Even at home, where I’ve started burning candles to cover it. It’s expensive, I know, but the smell is so strong. I hear their screams, too. Late at night, when I’m trying to sleep, I hear people screaming, and so I put my pillow over my head and try to block out the noise. I try to pretend that it isn’t people I know. That my friends aren’t pouring burning tar on my neighbors. That my whole world isn’t crashing down because of a petty king who begs us to pay his petty taxes.

I was walking to the market yesterday. Not far, just barely into town. The streets were filled with people, only it wasn’t just people. They were all screaming together, like a strange and dangerous beast with too many limbs. I felt myself pulled in, errands forgotten.

And then I saw him. Half naked, tied up and desperate. Hands, hands of people I know, were tearing at his face, his skin, and then…and then the wind turned. And I smelled it. Tar. Bubbling, boiling tar. I wanted to leave, oh Lord, I swear I did, but the crowd was packed so tight, and I couldn’t even look away. They poured it over him. Just because he worked for the king. It’s sick. I’ve never been happy to be ruled by England, I’ll admit that, but they take it so far. That tax collector, that man, has lived here his whole life. He has a wife, and kids. And they hurt him so easily.

I could smell his flesh burning. Did I mention that? And it smelled…it smelled like pork. And my stomach rumbled. No one heard it, it was far too loud for that, but I felt it. I am sickened to live in this body of mine. I haven’t been able to eat meat since, and yet our city seems only to crave more suffering. There are walls stained with blood, bullets in the streets, and there is so much noise. The yelling of furious patriots, and the screaming of desperate loyalists, and all of it aches of despair. I go to my meetings every Sunday, and I pray. Oh, Lord, I pray for these colonies. I pray for peace. But I cannot bring myself to believe that those who fight are entirely wrong; how can I? The soldiers have started moving into our homes, and… 

We’ve been safe so far, as our little farm is outside the city, but not everyone has. My dear friend Diana…I pray for her, Lord. I pray for her. There are six soldiers that have taken to eating and sleeping at her house. They barely have enough for their own family, and now they’re expected to feed six hungry British soldiers. Their youngest, their Thomas, has always been sickly, and I heard last Sabbath that one of the soldiers stole a piece of bread from off his plate and beat him when he cried. We cannot live this way. We cannot.

And their oldest. Their only daughter. Their Rebecca…Diana told me herself. “The soldiers miss their women,” she said. “They claim we must provide them with entertainment as well as food and a place to stay.” She says she will fight for the revolution. She will give anything to keep her family safe. And she is right.

But I can still smell the burning flesh, still imagine the feel of boiling tar running down his back, leaving a trail of blisters across his pale skin, and…and I wonder. The bible speaks of peace. But it also speaks of freedom. And I want to be free, Lord. If the British come to my home, I will surely find myself echoing the cries of the revolution.

But…but I am afraid. And in my mind, I can hear the weeping of widows in England. Comfort them, Lord. Comfort them. And let us find our peace before blood runs like rivers through the streets of my beautiful Boston.

7 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

So I'm in an American Wars class right now, and for whatever reason, I can always visualize wars and characters so well. So, after a day about the revolutionary war, I have a journal entry. And I'll probably keep writing similar things as the class keeps going, it's so interesting (and sick) what humans can do to each other. The best fictional example I've found is the Poppy War (which um look at trigger warnings before reading) and it's just...stars, it's crazy. But I liked writing about it!

Hide contents

I can still smell it. 

Even at home, where I’ve started burning candles to cover it. It’s expensive, I know, but the smell is so strong. I hear their screams, too. Late at night, when I’m trying to sleep, I hear people screaming, and so I put my pillow over my head and try to block out the noise. I try to pretend that it isn’t people I know. That my friends aren’t pouring burning tar on my neighbors. That my whole world isn’t crashing down because of a petty king who begs us to pay his petty taxes.

I was walking to the market yesterday. Not far, just barely into town. The streets were filled with people, only it wasn’t just people. They were all screaming together, like a strange and dangerous beast with too many limbs. I felt myself pulled in, errands forgotten.

And then I saw him. Half naked, tied up and desperate. Hands, hands of people I know, were tearing at his face, his skin, and then…and then the wind turned. And I smelled it. Tar. Bubbling, boiling tar. I wanted to leave, oh Lord, I swear I did, but the crowd was packed so tight, and I couldn’t even look away. They poured it over him. Just because he worked for the king. It’s sick. I’ve never been happy to be ruled by England, I’ll admit that, but they take it so far. That tax collector, that man, has lived here his whole life. He has a wife, and kids. And they hurt him so easily.

I could smell his flesh burning. Did I mention that? And it smelled…it smelled like pork. And my stomach rumbled. No one heard it, it was far too loud for that, but I felt it. I am sickened to live in this body of mine. I haven’t been able to eat meat since, and yet our city seems only to crave more suffering. There are walls stained with blood, bullets in the streets, and there is so much noise. The yelling of furious patriots, and the screaming of desperate loyalists, and all of it aches of despair. I go to my meetings every Sunday, and I pray. Oh, Lord, I pray for these colonies. I pray for peace. But I cannot bring myself to believe that those who fight are entirely wrong; how can I? The soldiers have started moving into our homes, and… 

We’ve been safe so far, as our little farm is outside the city, but not everyone has. My dear friend Diana…I pray for her, Lord. I pray for her. There are six soldiers that have taken to eating and sleeping at her house. They barely have enough for their own family, and now they’re expected to feed six hungry British soldiers. Their youngest, their Thomas, has always been sickly, and I heard last Sabbath that one of the soldiers stole a piece of bread from off his plate and beat him when he cried. We cannot live this way. We cannot.

And their oldest. Their only daughter. Their Rebecca…Diana told me herself. “The soldiers miss their women,” she said. “They claim we must provide them with entertainment as well as food and a place to stay.” She says she will fight for the revolution. She will give anything to keep her family safe. And she is right.

But I can still smell the burning flesh, still imagine the feel of boiling tar running down his back, leaving a trail of blisters across his pale skin, and…and I wonder. The bible speaks of peace. But it also speaks of freedom. And I want to be free, Lord. If the British come to my home, I will surely find myself echoing the cries of the revolution.

But…but I am afraid. And in my mind, I can hear the weeping of widows in England. Comfort them, Lord. Comfort them. And let us find our peace before blood runs like rivers through the streets of my beautiful Boston.

Wow, that is…horrifying. But it’s very well written.

6 minutes ago, Lightweaver2 said:

Wow, that is…horrifying. But it’s very well written.

5 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

ohh wow. that was... im lost for words. as always word choice is amazing. detail is nailed. 

Thank you guys! I may do another one about POW's and disease soon...which will probably be worse.

53 minutes ago, Edema Rue said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can still smell it. 

You were in American Wars class. At 10:55 PM? I don't believe you. Also very well written! I enjoyed it! Reminded me of my history class with a particular friend who also had a fascination with cannabalism! That was a fun unit! 

3 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Reveal hidden contents

I can still smell it. 

Really good! Disgusting but really good

And yeah, Poppy War is great. Read it everyone if you have the courage to go through that.