God Metals

Edgedancer74

We know that each shard has a metal. Ruin: Atium; Preservation: Lerasium; Harmony: Harmonium; Odium: Raysium;

Spoiler

Autonomy: Trellium or Bavadium;

Cultivation: Shardblades; Honor: shardblades and honorblades. Devotion and Dominion: The Dor (kind of). So... if shardblades are ten alloys of cultivation and honors metals, then theoretically a Mistborn could burn them, and a hemulargist could make a spike from them, so would a shardblade of honor blade make a really useful spike because they already damage the spiritweb (I think). Also for an allomancer, would shardblades/plates be less functional because they are alloys? and last but not least, if The Dor can be a god metal alloy, could it be turned into a nugget somehow and be burned? Just thinking.

(I got this info from here)

Edited by Edgedancer1174
spoilers

You are asking the right questions.  

There are conflicting WOBs on whether it would take additional steps to let a Mistborn burn foriegn Godmetals, but past any such hurdles it should be possible.  Literally no idea what any of the metals might do allomantically, let alone Hemalurgically or feruchemically. We're told that Dor in the form of Purified Dor (basically a godmetal) would just be a super-efficient energy source for a misting's normal powers (which implies it would be a somewhat universal metal for a mistborn).

It is worth noting that the Spiritual Damage is specific to shardblades and is not an innate ability of Tanavstium or Koravellium godmetals, since broken chunks of Shardplate wont do it.

28 minutes ago, Edgedancer1174 said:
Spoiler

Autonomy: Trellium or Bavadium

This is The Lost Metal spoiler. It's not allowed here yet. Delete it or put it in a spoiler tag.

It's possible to burn a Shardblade/Shardplate, and it would do something Allomanticaly, but Mistborn doesn't have a connection to that type of Investiture, so he can't burn them just like that.

Spoiler

Questioner

If a Mistborn were to burn a piece of a Shardblade, what would happen?

Brandon Sanderson

This would be hard to make happen, but it would be possible. A Shardblade is going to act as, basically, an alloy of the god metal of Honor and so  what would it do? RAFO, but it is possible and it would do something. It would not be inert. It would be Allomanticaly viable.

Footnote: This question was also addressed here.
Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Spoiler

word_thief

What would happen if a Mistborn ingested the metal of a Shardblade/Plate?

Brandon Sanderson

A Shardblade is Invested. A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture. So probably nothing would happen…

General Twitter 2013 (Oct. 24, 2013)

About Shardblades being hemalurgic spikes, I don't think it matters that they are blades already, they will act like other god metal spikes and do something more than regular spikes.

About the Dor, I don't think its god metal is an alloy of Devotion's and Dominion's god metals, Dor is a mix of their investiture, so it would be closer to Harmony and Harmonium, which isn't an alloy of Atium and Lerasium.

Edited by alder24

51 minutes ago, Quantus said:

You are asking the right questions.  

There are conflicting WOBs on whether it would take additional steps to let a Mistborn burn foriegn Godmetals, but past any such hurdles it should be possible.  Literally no idea what any of the metals might do allomantically, let alone Hemalurgically or feruchemically. We're told that Dor in the form of Purified Dor (basically a godmetal) would just be a super-efficient energy source for a misting's normal powers (which implies it would be a somewhat universal metal for a mistborn).

It is worth noting that the Spiritual Damage is specific to shardblades and is not an innate ability of Tanavstium or Koravellium godmetals, since broken chunks of Shardplate wont do it.

Good point about the shardblades and The Dor.

50 minutes ago, alder24 said:

This is The Lost Metal spoiler. It's not allowed here yet. Delete it or put it in a spoiler tag.

It's possible to burn a Shardblade/Shardplate, and it would do something Allomanticaly, but Mistborn doesn't have a connection to that type of Investiture, so he can't burn them just like that.

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

This would be hard to make happen, but it would be possible. A Shardblade is going to act as, basically, an alloy of the god metal of Honor and so  what would it do? RAFO, but it is possible and it would do something. It would not be inert. It would be Allomanticaly viable.

Reveal hidden contents

word_thief

Brandon Sanderson

A Shardblade is Invested. A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture. So probably nothing would happen…

About Shardblades being hemalurgic spikes, I don't think it matters that they are blades already, they will act like other god metal spikes and do something more than regular spikes.

About the Dor, I don't think its god metal is an alloy of Devotion's and Dominion's god metals, Dor is a mix of their investiture, so it would be closer to Harmony and Harmonium, which isn't an alloy of Atium and Lerasium.

Thank you for the spoiler warning I'll fix that and also you're right about   The Dor.

1 hour ago, Edgedancer1174 said:

So... if shardblades are ten alloys of cultivation and honors metals, then theoretically a Mistborn could burn them, and a hemulargist could make a spike from them

I think that godmetals can only be used if they have a connection to that world on some way.

Just now, Xiahida said:

I think that godmetals can only be used if they have a connection to that world on some way.

That makes sense. I'm probably wrong but if a bondsmith were to forge a connection between the world and the person could that person use the metals then?

1 minute ago, Edgedancer1174 said:

That makes sense. I'm probably wrong but if a bondsmith were to forge a connection between the world and the person could that person use the metals then?

I think it's less about connection to a world, more about connection to investiture and a Shard, to which god metal belongs. Like WoB said "A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture"

Just now, alder24 said:

I think it's less about connection to a world, more about connection to investiture and a Shard, to which god metal belongs. Like WoB said "A Mistborn isn't likely to have a tie to that type of Investiture"

That makes even more sense and I'm thinking that theoretically in the far future of the cosmere, I can imagine that worlds and investiture will mix and perhaps there might be a few cases of someone being able to do this or maybe if powers were to mix then they might get diluted instead

1 minute ago, Edgedancer1174 said:

That makes even more sense and I'm thinking that theoretically in the far future of the cosmere, I can imagine that worlds and investiture will mix and perhaps there might be a few cases of someone being able to do this or maybe if powers were to mix then they might get diluted instead

I think there is an easier way. Shardblade is already an alloy of two got metals, which explains why not everybody can burn them (like era 1 Atium was electrum-Atium alloy, that only a few selected ones could burn, not pure Atium). Alloy Lerasium with Shardblade or any god metal. What Lerasium does is forms a connection between you and Preservation, Lerasium alloyed with another god metal would form a connection with that other Shard. That's my theory, but there are WoBs of course to back it up.

Spoiler

Kaimipono

Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?

Brandon Sanderson

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak—though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly. When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that—using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself—to fuel Allomancy. Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body. It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose. That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Spoiler

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

TWG Posts (March 23, 2010)

Spoiler

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

2 hours ago, alder24 said:

I think there is an easier way. Shardblade is already an alloy of two got metals, which explains why not everybody can burn them (like era 1 Atium was electrum-Atium alloy, that only a few selected ones could burn, not pure Atium). Alloy Lerasium with Shardblade or any god metal. What Lerasium does is forms a connection between you and Preservation, Lerasium alloyed with another god metal would form a connection with that other Shard. That's my theory, but there are WoBs of course to back it up.

Reveal hidden contents

Kaimipono

Allomancy is fueled by Preservation's body? How exactly does that work? And how does that interact with Atium—it's fueled by both gods' bodies?

Brandon Sanderson

The powers of Ruin and Preservation are Shards of Adonalsium, pieces of the power of creation itself. Allomancy, Hemalurgy, Feruchemy are manifestations of this power in mortal form, the ability to touch the powers of creation and use them. These metallic powers are how people's physical forms interpret the use of the Shard, though it's not the only possible way they could be interpreted or used. It's what the genetics and Realmatic interactions of Scadrial allow for, and has to do with the Spiritual, the Cognitive, and the Physical Realms.

Condensed 'essence' of these godly powers can act as super-fuel for Allomancy, Feruchemy, or really any of the powers. The form of that super fuel is important. In liquid form it's most potent, in gas form it's able to fuel Allomancy as if working as a metal. In physical form it is rigid and does one specific thing. In the case of atium, it allows sight into the future. In the case of concentrated Preservation, it gives one a permanent connection to the mists and the powers of creation. (I.e., it makes them an Allomancer.)

So when a person is burning metals, they aren't using Preservation's body as a fuel so to speak—though they are tapping into the powers of creation just slightly. When Vin burns the mists, however, she'd doing just that—using the essence of Preservation, the Shard of Adonalsium itself—to fuel Allomancy. Doing this, however, rips 'troughs' through her body. It's like forcing far too much pressure through a very small, fragile hose. That much power eventually vaporizes the corporeal host, which is acting as the block and forcing the power into a single type of conduit (Allomancy) and frees it to be more expansive.

Hero of Ages Q&A - Time Waster's Guide (Oct. 15, 2008)

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner (paraphrased)

What will an Atium-Lerasium Alloy do ?

Ah, I've been asked this before. There are a number of theories, but nobody's really sure, since there haven't really been any opportunities to alloy lerasium with atium. You can choose which one to believe. Most require an understanding of realmatic theory to comprehend, which you need to be a Shard or Splinter to even begin to understand.What Lerasium is, is essentially a hack for something like your spiritual DNA. It rewrites what your spiritual self is capable of. So, combined with atium, which allows you a glimpse into the vision of everything - past, present, future - the theories say it could do one of two things. It could either create a substance so volatile that it would have world-ending repercussions, or rewrite your "spiritual DNA" (his phrase, not mine) with atium's power. Is that a vague enough answer?

TWG Posts (March 23, 2010)

Reveal hidden contents

Stormlightning

If Hoid was to get his hands on "bavadinium," could he alloy it with lerasium and get Sand Mastery?

Brandon Sanderson

This is theoretically possible.

FanX 2018 (Sept. 6, 2018)

of course! that makes perfect sense, I wonder if in the future Scadrians will discover this and somehow figure out how to do this with (spoiler)

Spoiler

reacted lerasium

Edited by Edgedancer1174

Spoiler

Questioner

Can Shardblades, dead or alive, be used as Hemalurgic spikes? And if attempted, what would the result be?

Brandon Sanderson

Technically yes, but in practicality no.

To use something as a Hemalurgic spike, it basically just needs to be able to already have a charge of Investiture, or be able to adopt one. Technically, Shardblades are made from a god metal. You could do this. But the Blade is gonna be big and unwieldy, and the form it’s in right now, it’s going to slice the soul rather than rip pieces off. You would have to jump through a bunch of hoops that wouldn’t be worth it in order to use one.

It would basically mean that you’d have to separate the metal of the Shardblade from the concept of a Shardblade itself, is what’s going on there.

^^^^^To answer your question about shardblade hemalurgy ^^^^^

Also I think if a mistborn where to bond a shard blade then they would probably have enough connection to burn it also I have a theory that tanavastiam and its alloys are meant to forge connections I think raisuim and its alloys are meant to steal different forms of investiture and so I think that raisuim and it alloys hemalurgicly might steal kinetic or passive investiture I think tanavastium might more perfectly steal connection also (TLM spoilers)

Spoiler

I think that bavidinium is meant to appropriate different magic systems and so I think it’s similar to lerasium in that it steals all powers and that instead of connecting you to ruin  it connects you to whatever avatar autonomy made it through 

1 minute ago, Sky Breaker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Can Shardblades, dead or alive, be used as Hemalurgic spikes? And if attempted, what would the result be?

Brandon Sanderson

To use something as a Hemalurgic spike, it basically just needs to be able to already have a charge of Investiture, or be able to adopt one. Technically, Shardblades are made from a god metal. You could do this. But the Blade is gonna be big and unwieldy, and the form it’s in right now, it’s going to slice the soul rather than rip pieces off. You would have to jump through a bunch of hoops that wouldn’t be worth it in order to use one.

It would basically mean that you’d have to separate the metal of the Shardblade from the concept of a Shardblade itself, is what’s going on there.

Also I think if a mistborn where to bond a shard blade then they would probably have enough connection to burn it also I have a theory that tanavastiam and its alloys are meant to forge connections I think raisuim and its alloys are meant to steal different forms of investiture and so I think that raisuim and it alloys hemalurgicly might steal kinetic or passive investiture I think tanavastium might more perfectly steal connection also (TLM spoilers)

Reveal hidden contents

I think that bavidinium is meant to appropriate different magic systems and so I think it’s similar to lerasium in that it steals all powers and that instead of connecting you to ruin  it connects you to whatever avatar autonomy made it through 

Very good points. 

On 3/8/2023 at 7:16 AM, Edgedancer1174 said:

We know that each shard has a metal. Ruin: Atium; Preservation: Lerasium; Harmony: Harmonium; Odium: Raysium;

Reveal hidden contents

Autonomy: Trellium or Bavadium;

Cultivation: Shardblades; Honor: shardblades and honorblades. Devotion and Dominion: The Dor (kind of). So... if shardblades are ten alloys of cultivation and honors metals, then theoretically a Mistborn could burn them, and a hemulargist could make a spike from them, so would a shardblade of honor blade make a really useful spike because they already damage the spiritweb (I think). Also for an allomancer, would shardblades/plates be less functional because they are alloys? and last but not least, if The Dor can be a god metal alloy, could it be turned into a nugget somehow and be burned? Just thinking.

(I got this info from here)

Liquid, gassous, and plasmic investiture don't have shard metal effects. If we assume the mists and the well are perfect analogs, then gasous acts as jet fuel w/o a jet and liquid acts as rocket fuel w/ a rocket.

On 3/8/2023 at 7:43 AM, alder24 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

word_thief

Brandon Sanderson

On 3/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, Xiahida said:

More recent WoBs seem to overide those. Could be that the just answer "if you get over the connection issue," but he doesn't say that.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:09 PM, Sky Breaker said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Questioner

Brandon Sanderson

Reveal hidden contents

Spoiler

I don't know that trellium is totally equal to bavadium, even if it has the same substance, it should connect you to bavadin, not wax's sister.
Lerasium doesn't steel powers, it steels attributes like strenght and senses, and it steals multiples. P-Atium can steal any 1 (though possible it can steal more like basic spikes), so it is more similar to P-Atium than Lerasium.

Also, sharblades are heavily invested, so it will be difficult to get much of the power into the spike.

10 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

More recent WoBs seem to overide those. Could be that the just answer "if you get over the connection issue," but he doesn't say that.

I gave a WoB form 2019, a very recent one, that says it's hard to do. The only more recent one is from 2022, which says "it's possible", which doesn't contradict that it's hard or that there is a connection issue. So nothing is overwritten here.

Spoiler

Kuron (paraphrased)

Is it possible for a full Mistborn to ingest and burn a Shardblade?

It is possible, and it is possible that I might be able to see that in the future if I can fit that in.

Dragonsteel 2022 (Nov. 14, 2022)

13 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:
Spoiler

Also, sharblades are heavily invested, so it will be difficult to get much of the power into the spike.

I highly recommend giving a warning before a spoiler tag, to inform what book it spoils.

TLM spoilers:

Spoiler

Harmony basically states it's Bavadinium so it is as close to confirmation as we can get without WoB. Why does it connects poeple to Trellium, not to Autonomy? Well Trell is connected to Autonomy, and she is an Avatar of Autonomy, so people gets "redirected" to her. I think that's an Avatar thing.

SA letters spoiler:

Spoiler

Like Hoid's letter got intercepted by one of Autonomy's Avatar, even though it was addressed directly to Autonomy.

19 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Both Atium and Lerasium are as invested as a Shardblade, and there is no problem with fitting hemalurgic charge there.

29 minutes ago, alder24 said:

I gave a WoB form 2019, a very recent one, that says it's hard to do. The only more recent one is from 2022, which says "it's possible", which doesn't contradict that it's hard or that there is a connection issue. So nothing is overwritten here.

Reveal hidden contents

Kuron (paraphrased)

Is it possible for a full Mistborn to ingest and burn a Shardblade?

It is possible, and it is possible that I might be able to see that in the future if I can fit that in.

Dragonsteel 2022 (Nov. 14, 2022)

I highly recommend giving a warning before a spoiler tag, to inform what book it spoils.

TLM spoilers:

Hide contents

Harmony basically states it's Bavadinium so it is as close to confirmation as we can get without WoB. Why does it connects poeple to Trellium, not to Autonomy? Well Trell is connected to Autonomy, and she is an Avatar of Autonomy, so people gets "redirected" to her. I think that's an Avatar thing.

SA letters spoiler:

Hide contents

Like Hoid's letter got intercepted by one of Autonomy's Avatar, even though it was addressed directly to Autonomy.

Both Atium and Lerasium are as invested as a Shardblade, and there is no problem with fitting hemalurgic charge there.

Huh, that's intresting.

It was a reply to another spoiler tag marked with TLM. I've seen that as common practice, not labeling them if they are a reply to another quoted just above. But TLM:

Spoiler

It is as close to a confirmation.

As for SA letters, I don't catch who they are talking to 98% of the time. I read them, but don't catch the implications myself. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think the whole, needing connection to the shard to burn godmetals, thing has been retconned by the Atium retcon.

Seemingly the point of the whole retcon was to make it possible for anyone in the Cosmere to be able to burn godmetals, this explains Hoid being able to burn Lerasium despite having no connection to Preservation, and will assumedly be a plot point that Brandon intends to use. 

I also think anyone would be able to burn a Shardblade if they could manage to get it in a form that wouldn’t kill them when swallowed. Even though they are alloys of Cultivation and Honour’s godmetals, they are still purely godmetals.

The Atium alloys become limited to allomancers because they are alloyed with basic metals, so only allomancers for those metals can access the Atium alloy for their metal (for example: only Augurs and Mistborn can burn Malatium). 

I think this would apply to all godmetals. But tbh all this talk of godmetals is all so theoretical since we have very little concrete info on them and their properties, especially in wake of the Atium retcon which is still not entirely clear. 

On 3/14/2023 at 2:17 PM, gremlin303 said:

I also think anyone would be able to burn a Shardblade if they could manage to get it in a form that wouldn’t kill them when swallowed. Even though they are alloys of Cultivation and Honour’s godmetals, they are still purely godmetals.

The Atium alloys become limited to allomancers because they are alloyed with basic metals, so only allomancers for those metals can access the Atium alloy for their metal (for example: only Augurs and Mistborn can burn Malatium). 

Their not necessarily pure since their alive, the bodies of a splinter rather than a shard. However, I don't think that would be an interactive difference.

That does raise the question of why lerasium alloys are possible to be burnt.

6 minutes ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Lerasium effect of making you into a Mistborn/Misting is not the primary effect of burning Lerasium. So maybe that's why?

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Thirty-Eight

Preservation's Power

All right, so maybe I lied about there only being three magic systems in this book. It comes down to how you term the powers of Preservation and Ruin, who kind of blanket the entire system. There are a lot of things going on here, and—well, the truth is I don't want to mention all of them, for fear of spoiling future books. However, I'll give you a few rules to apply.

First, to these forces, energy and mass are the same thing. So, their power can take physical shape—as Preservation's did in the bead of metal Elend ate. Second, there is a bit of Preservation inside of all the people—and it's this that allows the people to perform Allomancy. It needs to be awakened and stirred to be of use, but when it is, a proper metal can draw forth more of Preservation's power. It's like the metal attunes the bit within the person, allowing it to act as a catalyst to grab more power.

Allomancy is not fueled by metal; it is fueled by Preservation. The metal is the means by which a person can access that fuel, however. If there were another way to access it, then the metal wouldn't be needed.

Preservation's touch on people differs. Some have more, some have less. This doesn't make them better or worse people—indeed, some most touched by Preservation have been among the worst people in the world. As Ruin later points out, there is a difference between being evil and being destructive.

Regardless, if a person can get more Preservation into them, they become better Allomancers. Hence Elend becoming a Mistborn. Like all people, he had the potential within him—it was just too small of a potential to be awakened through normal means. That little jolt of Preservation's body, however, expanded and awakened his Allomancy.

As a tidbit, that was a side effect of what that bead of metal did. It wasn't the main purpose of the bead, and if another Allomancer were to burn it, it would do something else.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Nov. 12, 2009)

On 21/03/2023 at 8:27 PM, IlstrawberrySeed said:

Their not necessarily pure since their alive, the bodies of a splinter rather than a shard. However, I don't think that would be an interactive difference.

How do we know they are? They might be like Atium alloys, only burnable by the corresponding Misting. 

3 hours ago, gremlin303 said:

How do we know they are? They might be like Atium alloys, only burnable by the corresponding Misting. 

Lerasium alloys can be burned by anybody

Spoiler

Radix2309

The Atium we experience in Era 1 is actually an alloy of Atium and Electrum called Nalatium. The stuff produced by the pits was naturally an alloy. 

Peter Ahlstrom

The name nalatium is not canon.

Tetrarchon

But what about alloys of lerasium with allomantic metals - can anyone still burn them to become a misting of that metal?

Peter Ahlstrom

Yes.

General Reddit 2022 (Oct. 18, 2022)

On 24/03/2023 at 7:47 PM, alder24 said:

Lerasium alloys can be burned by anybody

Hide contents

Radix2309

The Atium we experience in Era 1 is actually an alloy of Atium and Electrum called Nalatium. The stuff produced by the pits was naturally an alloy. 

Peter Ahlstrom

The name nalatium is not canon.

Tetrarchon

But what about alloys of lerasium with allomantic metals - can anyone still burn them to become a misting of that metal?

Peter Ahlstrom

Yes.

General Reddit 2022 (Oct. 18, 2022)

Hmm okay. Well that makes things more confusing. 

1 minute ago, IlstrawberrySeed said:

I wonder if that's it's ambient effect, but amplified since the person doesn't have allomancy upon burning the bead, similar to raysdium's ambient.

Not likely. because you still have to Allomantically burn that metal. All god metals are burnable by "everyone".