How the HECK are Kaladin and Gavinor related, and does this mean Kaladin is in line for the throne?

duk_42069

Question

4 answers to this question

Just checked on the Coppermind, and from what I've found, Hesina and Aesudan are related. Here's a quote from Hesina's history on the coppermind:

"Although her exact parentage and place of birth are unknown, at least one of Hesina's parents was not a darkeyes.[15] By the time Hesina was seventeen, they lived in Tomat, where Hesina's father was a privileged business owner and was able to bully the citylord into following his wishes."

So from this, it can be surmised that Hesina is related to Aesudan through one of her parents - the Lighteyed one. This does not mean that Kaladin is in line for the throne directly, and will most likely not become royalty (unfortunately :P) unless there is some funky stuff, and Gavinor dies.

Hope that helps!

9 minutes ago, Telrao said:

Just checked on the Coppermind, and from what I've found, Hesina and Aesudan are related. Here's a quote from Hesina's history on the coppermind:

"Although her exact parentage and place of birth are unknown, at least one of Hesina's parents was not a darkeyes.[15] By the time Hesina was seventeen, they lived in Tomat, where Hesina's father was a privileged business owner and was able to bully the citylord into following his wishes."

So from this, it can be surmised that Hesina is related to Aesudan through one of her parents - the Lighteyed one. This does not mean that Kaladin is in line for the throne directly, and will most likely not become royalty (unfortunately :P) unless there is some funky stuff, and Gavinor dies.

Hope that helps!

So is Hesina related to Aesudan by sisterhood, or just a distant relative? I wouldn't think it would be too distant if it was listed on relatives, but I could be mistaken

Edited by duk_42069
grammar

48 minutes ago, duk_42069 said:

So is Hesina related to Aesudan by sisterhood, or just a distant relative? I wouldn't think it would be too distant if it was listed on relatives, but I could be mistaken

There is not enough detail in the Coppermind for a bullet-proof answer on how exactly Aesudan and Hesina, but there is no mention of Hesina and Aesudan being sisters. More likely, they would be cousins (which would make a bit more sense), but as I said, not bullet proof. What we know for sure is that they are blood relatives and closely related. So personally, them being cousins would make more sense.

55 minutes ago, duk_42069 said:

Here is the WOB that the Coppermind references:

Spoiler

Stormlightning

Is Kaladin related to Aesudan?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it's not a close relation. A very complex system of things, but yes.

Stormlightning

I was just wondering why he knew her...the melody she was humming.

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, he did. That is not because they're related.

Stormlightning

So it's something else?

Brandon Sanderson

It's something else. I thought that was a sideways question about Kaladin's mom.

Stormlightning

It kinda was, I thought maybe she hummed that and so that's why he recognized it.

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question.