On Fortune *AofL Spoilers*

Kurkistan

My question is whether the results of a chance event affect how much luck is needed to affect the flip. Is a coin flip with $10 riding on it "easier" to affect than a coin flip with $10,000 dependent on the outcome? They both have the same probability of happening, but one is definitely considered luckier than the other.

I would bet heavily against the results having much effect on the amount of luck needed. As you yourself said, a coin toss has the same probability of going either way no matter what's riding on it.

I would think that the amount of Fortune required is proportional to the degree to which events must be controlled in order to cause a desirable outcome. Messing with an already 50/50 coin flip is a single, almost trivial exercise. Making that same coin land on its side, roll 30.125478 meters down the hall on a heading of S-S-W minus 5.73 degrees over the course of 11.3 seconds so as be under the foot of a specific individual such that they drop a bag of money directly onto your lap is somewhat more difficult.

The coin-flip netting you $1 million and the coin-roll netting you $1 shouldn't make the coin-roll any easier, or the coin-flip any harder.

Edited by Kurkistan

I'm guessing that whatever storing Fortune does, it does not affect causality at a deep level. In other words, you can't make the impossible happen. However, since we know that FTL drives are possible, that technique might work! Although I'm guessing that in most cases, Fortune would take the easiest way out that would be good for you.

I think it works like being ta'veren in WoT i.e. choices and chances are bent in the Ferring's favor when he's tapping and against when he's filling. Either way, it produces a bunch of random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring.

I think it works like being ta'veren in WoT i.e. choices and chances are bent in the Ferring's favor when he's tapping and against when he's filling. Either way, it produces a bunch of random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring.

Perhaps the first part is the case, but I doubt that "random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring" counts as being "more lucky."

Edited by Kurkistan

Perhaps the first part is the case, but I doubt that "random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring" counts as being "more lucky."

That would be like Mat's "luck", in this case, or something similar. Of course, luck for one misfortune for other...

As I mentioned, the "random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring" are a side effect produced both during storage and tapping. This is a inference from WoT, where ta'veren powers have the same side effect.

As I mentioned, the "random and improbable events that do not work for or against the Ferring" are a side effect produced both during storage and tapping. This is a inference from WoT, where ta'veren powers have the same side effect.

Yes, but Ta'vern side effects don't come from the same source as Feruchemical Luck. What applies to one doesn't necessarily apply to the other.

• Chaos locked this topic